To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Sharp Stewart Small Passenger 2-4-0 locomotive parts and assembly

Timber

The boiler band is for now just positioned dry into the boiler.  Once the engine is sprayed and vanished it will be secured properly with super glue.

The cab interior is a clip fit that can also support the bolt that links body and chassis and body, engine and tender.

albion interim build2.JPG

albion interim build4.JPG

albion interim build3.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 6

Finally the clack valves (o gauge handrail knob and a 14 BA nut) are fitted to both sides together with the levers for the sandboxes,  Levers are simplified.  For me, the prototype mechanism scaled down is too delecate to have at the front of an operational model.  

The post holding the sandbox lever is once again a Markit long handrail knob.

I refitted the body to the chassis for one final test run before going off to be washed and then painted,

While the engine is being painted I will finish the tender.

loco final.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4

Next job on the tender is to fit the leaf springs.  3D printed springs are a little chunky and cannot be made to fit exactly as the prototype.  The prototype springs stood slightly proud of the tender body.  To compensate for the spring thickness, the springs have a flat surface that solders onto the tender body.  The other side has the spring detail.  A little bit of a compromise but the result is a strong fitting.   

albion tender springs.JPG

albion tender springs2.JPG

albion tender springs3.JPG

• Like 4

Engine has body coat.  The next step is to fit the steam pipes to the safety valve.  This is a 1mm brass wire, curved to pass through the safety valve base and through each of the valances.  Care required to prevent damaging the base.  Curve the wire, thread though the base and then twist to thread through each valance one at a time.

body pipe.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A fellow member has asked for a copy of the etch.  It pushed me into sorting out a few snags.   The locomotive etch (no tender) is £13.50 excluding postage.   If anyone else is interested then I have attached a copy of the pdf so you can check very carefully before making a purchase. 

I also have some castings for the brass loco parts.   The set costs £5 excluding postage.

I am simply sharing what I have made so any changes in material costs will impact the price going forward.  The costs above are simply what I pay.

If anyone wants to use the PDF to produce their own etch then I am ok with that.  But I do not want to get caught up in discussions around rescaling.....

If anyone wants the 3D STL files I can send the artwork via email and you can find a friend with a printer.

Once again I am not the world's best modeller nor a professional kit designer - the model is very simple and may be inaccurate (securing accurate dimensions for this loco was very hard and what I could find was inconsistant).  It is what it is.

(36452-1 16.11.21)

IMG-4126.JPG

Production per RMWeb (1).pdf

Edited by Timber
  • Like 5

Timber kindly supplied me this etch and I can verify it is a very good.

I plan use the chassis as the basis for a Furness 2-4-2T which were converted from these standard Sharp Stewart  2-4-0 tender locos. I hope to finish drawings soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 16:49, Timber said:

2D Microsoft Visio.....3D Fusion 360.   It would be much easier if I could find an integrated tool but the capabilities of Fusion 360 are so good that there is little point looking for anything else at this stage.  

Thanks. I was looking into this just now, and noticed that the problem with the free version of Fusion 360 is that for 2D, it is limited to a single layer. I had wondered why you were using a different package for etching tools, but I think I now know why...

Am I correct?

Visio can create multiple layers but I draw in one layer.   I draw exactly what is on the attached PDF save in PDF and then send this to the etchers.   The etcher then converts my PDF into the layers depending on the colour and sends back to me for checking.  

The drawing tool in Fusion is very clever but is not really designed for large detailed 2D drawings, I have tried a few times and asked for help on the various fusion noticeboards but the consensus is that it is not the right tool for the job.   It is best suited for creating the shape that is then extruded into a solid.

Edited by Timber

I think I have scaled the dome correctly -39% for S scale?

I have also taken the liberty of tweaking it a bit, hollowed out so it cures properly and thinned the base of the flange a little.

Printing now so I will find out in a couple of hours.

Thank you for uploading this.

Rob

Albion Dome 64 rework.jpg

Albion Dome 64 rework chitu.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Rob.   I have attached a link to the complete boiler and fittings.   Will post all the parts seperately.  As Rob suggests you may want to hollow out the dome....

STL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17NxAlxek11k5oUyV9TTmBejB5dy7NtZF/view?usp=sharing

STEP

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-yqW5KxFbgqbbY-gNP9t-eWB47fZNZtW/view?usp=sharing

albionbody.JPG

bodypdf.JPG

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4

Thanks for sharing your STL files. 

I thought you might like to see how your boiler assembly fits my project. Considering we have used different drawings its a good fit.

I plan to print with a different footplate (as shown) and a smoke box with extended front plate, which will require some modifying of the chassis. I intend to use your firebox so castings fit, plus chimney and dome,

I also plan to produce parts  to fit direct on your footplate, if anybody wanted to use chassis without modification.

I hope to print footplate later this week. 

The STL files will be available to other members when finished.

FR242T.jpg

• Like 3

I like this and well done for such good artwork.  I have a couple of options on chimneys and safety valves.   Please let me know or email me a drawing.  The block on the side of the boiler is to  the hold the badge....I can take this off if you want.   Email me direct with any changes and i will upload.

• Like 2

Just been playing with the boiler and noticed that for resin printing it will need a hole putting in the base of the chimney through to the smokeboke for drainage/anti-suction (as well as hollowing out the dome).

I have also found that at 29Mb the file is too big to import into TinkerCad to play with.:huh:

I shall have to wait for Timber to upload the components:(.

Rob

Thanks Timber. I will email drawing and a few changes like removing the nameplate,

I get carried away adding detail but it remains to be seen whether it prints successfully. I did a test print of my smokebox and the rivets seem to print OK but there were issues with small holes.