Alexandra Wharf V2 - OO in a Really Useful Box

Another three-parter this evening!

PART 1 - RESEARCH

As I mentioned before, one of the goals with this layout is to keep it realistic, by modelling real things rather than modelling other models. To this end, I needed to find some suitable buildings to base mine off.

Having lived in Swansea for the past 3 years for my degree, I'm well aware of the frankly incredible amount of railways that used to exist here. With the aid of the fantastic site http://www.swanseadocks.co.uk/, I found the ideal general inspiration for the layout: the Weaver's Mill building, the first reinforced concrete structure in Europe. When viewed from the North Dock Basin, the concrete building is set back from the quay with a shorter brick warehouse in front and to the right - perfect! Of course the track layout is nothing like what I'm using and I won't be replicating the exact buildings, but I will certainly use it as an overall guide.

As I've been showing with my mock-ups, this layout will be dominated by two main structures - the square concrete Grain Silo, and the decorated-brick Warehouse.

The grain silo will be based on the Scalescenes kit, but with a few minor modifications. Since the kit is based on the old structure at Water Eaton, it's quite easy to find pictures of the original to build from. My plan is to create something with elements of both Water Eaton and the Weaver Building; perhaps replace one or both of the towers with a hennebique style building, and add a precast concrete loading platform and canopy, the latter to hide the split in the building that will let it pack in the box.

The conveyor from the silo is still inspired by the Ipswich structure; I have yet to find any other example of a loading tower structure, so it will have to do.

The warehouse is less certain at present, hence the research! I've been looking for a structure with a column-supported overhang, but I haven't had much luck yet - certainly not in Swansea. I've tried looking elsewhere but I'm not exactly sure what to search for, so any ideas are welcome.

The other area I've been researching is the time period. The main era constraint for this layout is the Coles Argus crane, which I believe was first produced in 1954. In order to portray a reasonably busy scene, as early as possible is preferred; however, the Swansea Docks site implies that the mill was still using ship freight into the 60s, and plenty of photos from the late 50s still look reasonably active, so I think I should be alright.

Finally, placing this layout in the Swansea area in the late 50s is the perfect time and place for a Hattons Barclay in BR black, which I've been eyeing up as a graduation present to myself... results day is the 17th June, so we'll have to see!

PART 2 - BASEBOARD

Finally, some proper construction in this thread! One of many parcels received this morning contained the 22L RUB the layout will fit in, which meant I could start work on the baseboard. This is, as ever, cardboard!

PXL_20210511_174407172.jpg.c38b3cde369865b7ac3c2b5c98d46773.jpg

The structure is two sheets of corrugated cardboard sandwiching vertical bracing, with the sheets cut as usual with the corrugations running at different angles for strength. The photo above is with all the bracing fixed to the lower sheet; the square without diagonal bracing is for the crane mechanism, and at each end there are three storage pockets for wagons or other bits & bobs. These will also act as handholds to aid lifting the layout out of the box.

The top surface was then glued on top of this, and then everything buried under various books and even old lecture notes (see, they do come in handy!)

PXL_20210511_174916879_MP.jpg.59189a187d21b6a991dc9f51da2418ac.jpg

PART 3 - WIRING

Whilst that was drying, I set about wiring up the track. First I added connections across the LH turnout to negate relying on the the point blades. I then added the pairs of connections on the left and right, as well as a connection across all 3 rear rails, just before the sector plate. There's already a little bit of redundancy here, but I plan to add a few more connections so if any one joint fails there'll still be power everywhere. For now I'm still relying on the point blades to switch the frog polarity on the Ys; I'll probably do the microswitch modification when I'm adding the wire-in-tube point control.

PXL_20210511_221934577.jpg.dd9c03cebed09732abc5f971597691ac.jpg

But for now, everything works! Except where one of the solder joints on the sector plate failed, both the 04 and the Barclay-ish shunters happily trundle everywhere without issue. The electrofrogs make stutter-free crawling utterly beatiful. Let's just hope it stays this way!

• Like 6

Here I go, neglecting this topic again... my last post was nearly a week ago! Well, with today's 7-hour "assessment day" (uugghh) out of the way, and my next (and final!) exam not for another week, I should probably give this a poke.

1. Layout Progress

Let's start with what's actually been happening. Since my last post I've added a surface layer of cereal box card to the baseboard, and also PVA'd the track down (once some of the dodgy soldering was repaired).

Once the track was secure I cut out the opening for the crane mechanism, and slotted it in; the fact it's currently flush with the surface is a coincidence, it will need to sit on a little packing when the final surface is brought up to track level. Still, it looks at home already.

PXL_20210513_233130353.jpg.dfc358a9f8a1b4b67d558cba55678369.jpg

Whilst the layout is still flat and easy to work on upside down, I've been playing with uncouplers. Given the tucked-away nature of the sector plate some form of remote uncoupling was essential; I've used a card "ramp" fixed to a wire rod that rides up and down in a short section of tube to keep it in place. This rod is lifted by resting on a wide lever fixed under the board, that's operated from the front of the layout by a thread. Since the ramp is fixed to the sector plate track but the lever to the baseboard beneath I can only operate the ramp when the sector plate is in the near position, but that's the only time I need it.

Oh, and the "wire rod" is an unbent paperclip, the "tube" is the empty ink tube from a cheap biro, and the lever is a few pieces of cardboard - nothing expensive here!

Uncoupler.png.6111aea86cf2eb9e91998a8c868257df.png

PXL_20210518_220404103.jpg.1d111f13d1a8f910eb7f6a7a32dc2bfe.jpg

PXL_20210518_220504912.jpg.0ba47bc769d9605b010aba8dbbd37c9f.jpg

Through playing with it rigorous shunting experiments the system seems to work well, so I'll be employing it in various other strategic locations around the layout; the ramps will be practically invisible since they'll blend in as part of the inset track. Hand-of-god uncoupling won't be eliminated entirely, but it should be possible to uncouple easily in common and awkward-to-reach places.

2. Yet More Architecture Musings

This "armchair modelling" is great, isn't it!

First off, thanks Steve for the collection of photos above. They're very helpful, sorry I never replied to it sooner!

On 12/05/2021 at 07:28, SteveyDee68 said:

IMG_1936.JPG

That's the badger I'm after here, though! Swansea North Dock, with the concrete factory set back, and the brick warehouse right at the water's edge. There was also a conveyor leading from the concrete building, just above the cantilevered section, out towards the dock - although nothing I've found shows where it went at the other end. I expect mine will still end in a corrugated-iron-clad tower of some form much like Ipswich.

I found this Welsh government site has a couple of good, zoomable photos of the site - one gives an overall view, whilst the other features a wagon in front of the brick Victoria Warehouse which lets me approximate some dimensions of it. The plan is to build two versions of this building - a low-relief version behind the sector plate, and a fuller section in the foreground.

Clearly there's no overhanging warehouse sections present here though, so a little more modeller's license brings Bristol's "watershed" buildings to pose as a single-storey wrap-around type extension and bridge between the two main warehouses.

So, to sum up:

229363436_BuildingPlan.png.a2f813384485b786072a40dd5336bd23.png

Plenty to be getting on with here, then!

• Like 8

Liking your plans very much! After 'boardageddon' I have rejigged my own layout twice and have shamelessly stolen the conveyor belt running from back to front at the centre of the board length - it separates the layout visually into two areas and makes everything look much busier!

Also like your coupling device - neat!

Looking forward to seeing further developments, as and when studies and exams allow of course!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers both!

There's now a few more uncouplers across the layout; these are simpler affairs with the thread tied directly to the paperclip, and passing over a hanger to keep it pulling straight up on the rod. All 4 are currently operated from the front of the layout; the threads are held by some random nut-and-bolt pairs I have in the spares box. These will be replaced with proper pull tags at a later date, when I've put the dock and point rods in.

sketch-1621461339898.jpg.ef71127256876d28e16a0025c8d11f57.jpg

Next up is probably putting all the concrete and ballast down, then it's finally onto the buildings!

• Like 5

Next milestone achieved: all the inset track is complete!

1995220031_7.TrackInsettingComplete(1).jpg.475a4fea65aa5aa947ed86f38ba13753.jpg

As you can see, nearly all the track has been inset; everything was done by building up various thicknesses of corrugated and cereal box card, with the final layer of cereal box card to keep everything fairly consistent. Only the two central sets of points and the sector plate have been spared.

With the buildings back in place, things are looking good (if a bit grey)!

1515732023_7.TrackInsettingComplete(2).jpg.993c2e30ecf780fdbefc2f5698b87aae.jpg

As can also be seen in the overall shots, each uncoupler now has a little teabag-shaped label at the front to operate them by; I've been fettling them to get each to work smoothly and fall down reliably. I've also cut out and lined an area for the edge of the dock; it might grow further, since having the loading tower at one end of the dock doesn't really make much sense. It's just a bigger dock will make it more awkward to run the point control rods.

You may also notice the small office/hut has made a return - with the dock cut-out at the front, the truck can't really park there anymore. Well, it can, but the driver would get quite wet when he gets out!

Finally, I spent some time operating the layout and took far too many pictures, so enjoy!

241838154_7.TrackInsettingComplete(3).jpg.e192d9245cd553aec5f89accb7ae3a00.jpg

The 04 positions an open wagon on the front siding.

849589239_7.TrackInsettingComplete(4).jpg.1170739a3f8d01617229e17dfe93999c.jpg

Shunting the rear siding. The front siding uncoupler ramp placement (restricted by the left-most Y point) means the rake of wagons is always parked a little close, but it's not too bad.

180364396_7.TrackInsettingComplete(5).jpg.57a3864ad9f97a2b495ed3a5c8b382b5.jpg

More wagon movements.

2146217416_7.TrackInsettingComplete(6).jpg.35be240b187c344429c652a99057b9c4.jpg

Running around a 5-plank open. I'm really proud of how well the insetting around the Y-point turned out, although until I set up the control rods it's a pain to switch!

427760311_7.TrackInsettingComplete(7).jpg.ee6e807bd2115fc41525651a088d6a54.jpg

Extracting wagons from under the warehouse. I think the office and workman give a sense of scale to the trains themselves; it's easy to forget how big they are in real life!

1794954146_7.TrackInsettingComplete(8).jpg.3592623c6b70dfeb0c357de190eed90e.jpg

A view from the other end of the gallery

722958187_7.TrackInsettingComplete(9).jpg.82da80d451ce27b1a1f8c6a61039fefe.jpg

Finally the 04 squeezing between wagons as it runs around again.

I'm definitely happy how things are shaping up - the concrete looks good, and it's great to see the 04 trundling about everywhere - movement was what the original Alexandra Wharf was lacking. The next two evenings will probably be spent with more under-the-board points and uncoupler fettling, and eventually some ash ballasting - and then onto the structures!

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The inset track is looking great, and you're quite right to be proud of the job you've done around the points. Reading elsewhere about how the exaggerated clearances required for OO gauge track impact upon how wide gaps need to be in order for trains to run, I think what you have achieved is no less than excellent.

(Highly embarrassed that all I have achieved this weekend is to buy another Hornby B2 Peckett loco and ask a question on RMWeb about how horses were transported on ships!)

Regarding the cut out for modelling water and the relationship to the loading tower ... a dumb barge or lighter would proportionally look right loading up against it, but you would need to widen the actual water area for it to fit. How about having a rectangular patch of water with a lighter in place that you can simply 'lay on' the triangular section when the layout is out of the box? Perhaps it might be held in place by velcro? When packed away, you remove the 'water' area (which sticks out in front of the front edge) like you would the tall buildings.

Scalescenes has a canal wharf box file kit that comes with a free barge/lighter that would be just right!

Just a thought...

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/05/2021 at 00:44, SteveyDee68 said:

Regarding the cut out for modelling water and the relationship to the loading tower ... a dumb barge or lighter would proportionally look right loading up against it, but you would need to widen the actual water area for it to fit. How about having a rectangular patch of water with a lighter in place that you can simply 'lay on' the triangular section when the layout is out of the box? Perhaps it might be held in place by velcro? When packed away, you remove the 'water' area (which sticks out in front of the front edge) like you would the tall buildings.

That's a very interesting idea, definitely something to look into when I return to the quayside area.

And thanks @Ian Holmes and @Andrew D, I'm glad you enjoy it!

Over the past few evenings I've been making small bits of progress on the layout; firstly the ballast. Using the ash I collected previously, I distributed it over diluted pva brushed between the sleepers; once it had all dried I tidied it up with a flatblade screwdriver, where it had inevitably stuck itself onto the sleepers. Looks pretty good though!

1095832141_8.Ballasting(4).jpg.c4820e5e73c1d6c73c1d4a1f4891a29f.jpg

693680899_8.Ballasting(3).jpg.5ef874d0d03b499c0d900d7c66773df9.jpg

At some point I'll paint the area under the sector plate roughly the same colour as this ballast so the joint isn't so obvious. I did discover by accident that water with a tiny amount of pva and ash in it works quite well for weathering the card into concrete; I might have to experiment further on the old diorama board before I commit to anything on this layout.

Secondly, I've finally made a start on the actual buildings this layout will be using!

First I separated the corrugated-iron loading shelter from the Scalescenes grain silo; I will most likely re-use it, but it needed to be shortened - the maximum height of fixed buildings is 85mm, so anything above that needs to be removable. Luckily the opening on the original loading shelter is quite large anyway, so cutting 12mm off the bottom doesn't affect too much. I'll just need to rebuild the roof at a slightly shallower angle and it'll be fine. Continuing from here I built the two brick tower elements of the silo. The left-hand one has progressed further; there's a split at the necessary height, just behind the roof of the lean-to. The upper half has some deep card tabs that fit into pockets on the inside of the lower section. It's also had it's coating of superquick brickpaper applied.

813675687_9A.Buildingstarted(1).jpg.db4b3fc5abafd26e17af02084c61ac1f.jpg

It's amusing how now I've taken the mock-ups off it feels like I've got less of a layout, but when it grows back it will be much more complete than it was before!

I've now got a bit of a plan in my head. I will be re-using the main concrete section from the silo, although I will print off a few extra components to extend it by 50% or so. At some point it will have a prefab-concrete style platform and canopy added, the latter to hide the necessary horizontal seam. An additional flat-relief brick element will go to the right of the current right-hand tower as somewhere for the conveyor to connect to; the conveyor itself will be clad in more Scalescenes corrugated iron.

I spent a bit of time earlier experimenting with ways to emboss the corrugated iron to give it a little more relief than just flat paper; if anyone has any tips in this regard, I'm all ears!

• Like 10

Cheers for all the reactions, everybody.

Now that I'm free from exams (forever, from this uni at least!), the buildings have been progressing fairly steadily. First I got the second tower up to the level of the first: adding the split and alignment pegs, then reinforcing the structure before cladding it in brick paper. I also added the no-relief section to the right that the conveyor emerges from.

1881776554_9B.SiloProgresses(1).jpg.3eed88cbe2006399c13040c1a805bbbb.jpg

Just as an aside, this is my arrangement for maintaining alignment: the long tabs are fixed to the upper section of the building, and fit snugly into pockets in the lower half. The tabs are pretty much as long as I can make them. This is the left-hand building, hence there's no brickpaper on most of the lower half; this is going to be inside the lean-to, so will be covered in whitewashed brick instead.

Next I arranged and printed a sheet of the extra components I needed: the whitewashed brick, windows and signage, and the extra concrete silo wall. I attached the latter to some card and set it up with the existing section:

1180886240_9B.SiloProgresses(2).jpg.accd3aad973e445781ae703c71834809.jpg

The drainpipe still does it's job of hiding the seam. Unfortunately, the original wall wasn't printed by me, it was the free kit included in Hornby Magazine. I'm not quite sure how they printed it but I always thought the brickwork was a bit pink and washed out; clearly something's going on, because the colour difference between that and what my printer produced is quite stark!

1699772932_9B.SiloProgresses(3).jpg.b246a0ac1740e566cb2a2948bea1257e.jpg

The wall includes a small section of brickwork at the base; my printer produced a colour very similar to the superquick brick paper, but the original to the left is definitely different.

I'm in two minds whether to print off an entirely new section to replace the original, or maybe try some colour corrections to match the extra section to the original - I think I prefer the older concrete colour, despite the weirdness with the brickwork. Or I could just leave it as it is - what do you think?

• Like 5

Personally, I think reprint and get the whole silo matching. Remember the trick of zooming in on a section (say the brick wall) and printing that but at 100% to print off just that section? You could print your walls off and then mess about colour correcting the concrete and amalgamate the two.

Neat trick with the tabs for fitting the upper section of buildings (definitely John Wiffen inspired! And why not?)

Looking forward to seeing how this moves forward in post-exam euphoria!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Personally, I think reprint and get the whole silo matching. Remember the trick of zooming in on a section (say the brick wall) and printing that but at 100% to print off just that section? You could print your walls off and then mess about colour correcting the concrete and amalgamate the two.

Neat trick with the tabs for fitting the upper section of buildings (definitely John Wiffen inspired! And why not?)

Looking forward to seeing how this moves forward in post-exam euphoria!

HOURS OF FUN!

Oh absolutely, I rarely print a whole kit - I can't waste ink, I'm a student! And it's not even my printer... Luckily, it's on a pre-paid pages-per-month scheme so ink isn't actually a direct cost, but making sure each page is as full as possible is a priority.

I'll probably start setting up another page with the other half of the silo as the main element, and anything else I might need around the edges.

16 hours ago, Multigauge said:

It's difficult to tell due to the lighting and shadows, but I suppose the beauty of these kits is that if you do something you don't like you can easily print off another and start again

It's definitely a tricky one to get across on camera, but I think the difference is notable. But I agree that working with practically unlimited resources is always advantagous!

Today, as an aside from the large buildings, I worked on the little office building.

First, I searched for real-life inspiration; aerial photos show there was a small hut building in the vicinity of the Weaver's Building at Swansea, but I haven't found any photos where it can be seen properly. Therefore I went for a small brick office with square-ish windows on both sides.

1969112118_9C.OfficeBuilding(1).jpg.c785b5e3ead2934f485a04e3ee6ac95f.jpg

The model features a chimney in one corner with a plastic-tube chimneypot, and flashing from the dismantled grain silo lean-to. One side of the building features guttering and a drainpipe from sections of sprue - it's only on one side because I ran out of suitable half-round sprues!

174971299_9C.OfficeBuilding(2).jpg.26f1ea2028111fc9be8386038a3c4274.jpg

Even though it won't be seen much on this layout, I modelled all four sides since I'll probably want to re-use it elsewhere someday. The window arches are brick capping with about 2/3rds of each mortar course cut away to allow it to be curved easily; the windows themselves are very thin strips of paper with a piece of clear plastic packaging glued behind. The one thing the model lacks is roof tiles; I should probably add them to the list of things to print.

2034467710_9C.OfficeBuilding(3).jpg.85bbaf12fc7afac5cc32063a42607ca1.jpg

And in it's place on the layout. I'm not sure if the "deliveries" sign makes much sense, but the "limited clearance" is definitely needed! As can be seen the gutter discharges straight to the dock. Having a building so close to the quayside is of course completely impractical, but I love it (for now)!

352508077_9C.OfficeBuilding(4).jpg.283e7eee20e8b968e82f39cb2ffcb882.jpg

Finally, an unusual view: from the sector plate, just to see what it looks like from behind. My conclusion is "pretty good".

Who knew I could make such a long post about such a small building! I should get back to the grain silo I suppose, it's going to take a while if I'm to consistently match the bar I've just set myself...

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

Hello TechnicArrow!

I like your micro-layout very much! Your uncouplers are very nice (I also use self-constructed ones ...), but I particularly like the small new office building.

I wish you a lot of fun and success with your layout!

Best regards,

ThomasG

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Instead of printed corrugated iron, you could use corrugated plastic sheet and cover it with tinfoil to get the thinness on the edge.

Alternatively, glue some thin cord in lines to match the printed lines and use a very wet-glued printed paper to cover it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 29/05/2021 at 21:11, Stubby47 said:

Alternatively, glue some thin cord in lines to match the printed lines and use a very wet-glued printed paper to cover it.

That sounds like an interesting plan - although I wonder if wet-gluing printed paper will make the ink run. I'll have to do some more experiments...

Also thanks @ThomasG and @Wrenn for your compliments, and to everyone who reacts to my ramblings.

This week, being my "week off" between exams and starting a summer placement, was going to be filled with modelling - but then the weather was just too good... doesn't mean I haven't managed some though.

PART 1 - SILO PROGRESS

The main thing the tower buildings were missing were the windows. Although I had printed these out much as I used for the original Alexandra Wharf, since the success of the thin-paper-strip ones on the small office I decided I had to make better than just prints. To this end I cut out square holes from a sheet of paper, glued several very thin strips of paper over them, and then added clear plastic on top of that.

2094389623_9C.SiloWindows(1).jpg.da97dd48bcd147e09ab8b1509c3d6b76.jpg

A little bit messy here, but from the other side they looked quite good if a little inconsistent:

1559451904_9C.SiloWindows(2).jpg.838147850d9aaa5a7fac6a9dc71c8e68.jpg

They were then cut into individual windows, and glued carefully behind each opening. Together with the windowsills they make the building much more complete, although it still needs lintels above the openings and some drainpipes. I'm very happy with how the split lines up with a windowsill on the right-hand tower: when the top section is removed, it simply leaves the sill behind.

1193656635_9C.MoreSiloProgress(2).jpg.fd9ed72a313e3ad637846f6dbacb5fe2.jpg

Next I fiddled with the colour settings on the additional section of concrete wall to get it more-grey-less-yellow than the first attempt, and re-printed it (along with many other useful bits). This additional section was fixed to the existing half using the drainpipe to hide the joint, and with a card "plate" and two large diagonal braces to keep the whole thing rigid. The braces are my favourite strong material, card sandwiches: corrugated card for thickness, with cereal box card for rigidity. I will come back and add more braces when I know exactly how and where this tall section of wall is going to split for transport; somewhere around the dotted line, but I'm not sure yet.

406717423_9C.MoreSiloProgress(1).jpg.71c962124b997042e4669c0a8ffcde65.jpg

PART 2: THE OVERALL LAYOUT

Once all the above was sorted, the layout was reconstructed, together with some updated mock-ups for the right-hand warehouse (more on that in a bit). Things are falling over less and less, I'm finding!

1251381170_9C.MoreSiloProgress(3).jpg.6e0b2a922ce26a3649384d3a64251dc7.jpg

1094365924_9C.MoreSiloProgress(5).jpg.56bdcdd52d10330ebf3f495ddba55e79.jpg

1302712707_9C.MoreSiloProgress(6).jpg.31336a6f60f7ea0bbb50e58069817286.jpg

The right-hand warehouses are now based on various remaining buildings around Swansea, although with more floors and the roof pitch rotated 90 degrees for visual interest. They mostly comprise of various depths of brick, stepped back in "panels" around the windows between the "columns". The windows themselves will be laser-cut offerings from Scale Model Scenery - although my paper-strip windows work well, I didn't fancy doing the many, many, larger-apertued & smaller-paned windows needed here! But more on these buildings will be posted later, when I receive the materials I need for it.

PART 3: POINT RODS

This afternoon, I took everything off again to sort out the remaining task under the baseboard: the point control. Initially intending to use stiff wire, instead I found some long wooden sticks (originally intended for holding marshmallows over a fire), and together with a bit of unbent paperclip to link through the baseboard to the tiebars this seems to work well.

Or would do... when it came to instalation, I discovered that not one but two of the point tiebars are directly over the supports within the baseboard. Furthermore, one of them was actually above a support cluster, with no less than 5 supports converging on exactly the spot I needed to get to... :banghead:

1925920942_11.PointRodding(1).jpg.611ed7df6b4d7f2e41358756638b22d0.jpg

Messy job then! You can just about spot the tip of the wire from the tiebar, in the middle of the photo where the 5 supports used to meet. (you can also see the yellow plunger, hangar and thread of one of the uncoupler mechanisms on the left.)

But once that was sorted, I have remote point control! The levers at the front of the layout are currently just the dowels with a notch cut in them; they need to sit flush with the front of the layout in at least one position, so it all fits in the transport box. I might have to find a better solution though, because these aren't always the easiest to use. But they still snap the points over well, so I'm going in the right direction.

299349482_11.PointRodding(2).jpg.d8cafd4551343965e9fef71246875943.jpg

And that's where it for now. Still at the top of my to-do list is the remaining point rod and a similar one for the sector plate, and adding the final touches to the silo. But all is coming on well!

• Like 12

I don't know if you've seen it (it's in the Layouts section rather than Boxfiles & Microlayouts) but @PaulRhBhas an innovative solution to point rods for his layout Peckett Paradise - the rods stop short of emerging out from the baseboard side struts, and a magnet on the end of each rod engages with one embedded in a knob. That means he can operate the layout from either side, and as the protruding knobs simply deconnect (think of the charger connection on an iPhone!) the layout packs away into a box without any issues.

If I knew how to put a link in the text here to take you directly to it, I would do so!

I think it is so ingenious a solution that I intend to steal copy the idea for my own layouts, once I have sourced the necessary magnets, of course.

Your micro goes from strength to strength - jobs in the garden and job applications have stopped me (again) doing anything productive for my own layouts (other than secure more rolling stock for Castlebrook Sidings from eBay!)

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I don't know if you've seen it (it's in the Layouts section rather than Boxfiles & Microlayouts) but @PaulRhB has an innovative solution to point rods for his layout Peckett Paradise - the rods stop short of emerging out from the baseboard side struts, and a magnet on the end of each rod engages with one embedded in a knob. That means he can operate the layoit from either side, and as the protruding knobs simply deconnect (think of the charger connection on an iPhone!) the layout packs away into a box without any issues.

If I knew how to put a link in the text here to take you directly to it, I would do so!I

Steve,

I think this is the post your referring to on Pecketts Paradise. Those four and six wheeled Peckett and 0-4-0DH shutters sure do look nice! I must resist, I must resist, I must resist!!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Spelling!!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Steve,

I think this is the post your referring to on Pecketts Paradise. Those four and six wheeled Pickett and 0-4-0DH shutters sure do look nice! I must resist, I must resist, I must resist!!

Rich

Thanks, Rich - exactly that, yes!

Now, exactly how do you do that?! :sorry_mini:

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Thanks, Rich - exactly that, yes!

Now, exactly how do you do that?! :sorry_mini:

Steve S

I have sent you a PM Steve, and also corrected my Pickett tanks to Peckett :) Damm spellchecker!

• Thanks 1

As usual, it's been another week since I've actually posted anything here, so I should probably give an update!

On 04/06/2021 at 21:57, SteveyDee68 said:

I don't know if you've seen it (it's in the Layouts section rather than Boxfiles & Microlayouts) but @PaulRhB has an innovative solution to point rods for his layout Peckett Paradise - the rods stop short of emerging out from the baseboard side struts, and a magnet on the end of each rod engages with one embedded in a knob. That means he can operate the layoit from either side, and as the protruding knobs simply deconnect (think of the charger connection on an iPhone!) the layout packs away into a box without any issues.

Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't seen it and it's a fantastic idea! I think I've used smaller dowels though, and fixing the magnets to them doesn't look easy... but it's definitely something I'll look into in the future, it's too good an idea to pass on.

For now I've stuck to my stubby dowels, but with just enough room around them to grip the notch on the end. I've also added the final two rods - the most inaccesable-to-fingers ones, rearmost point and the sector plate.

Since these are behind the dock cut-out, I first tried placing the rods just beneath the water level. But the distance from the rod to the tiebar was too big; the rod moved, but the wire just pivoted and the tiebar stayed still! Instead I've just poked them through the dock wall!

1283632744_12.Gatesandpoints(4).jpg.f51f10d2aa627d6be55c6352d4b7ab9a.jpg

This is them in the "out" position; when they're pushed back they're not too obvious. I'll still need to disguise these properly at some point. But they make operating the layout actually possible again: I can flip the rear point, and the friction on the rod means the sector plate stays where I put it!

Whilst we're on the subject of points, I added some chequerplate "covers" either side of the inset point. Originally "bridges" from the Scalescenes free inspection pit, these do actually cover up the slot for the tiebar pins, as well as looking like a recessed point lever cover.

2035036761_12.Gatesandpoints(5).jpg.80bb68dc43b5489bd2018a445b8e928a.jpg

They were inset into the concrete by just peeling away a few layers of card and gluing them down, so they're flat-but-not-quite-flush.

143079588_12.Gatesandpoints(2).jpg.fe0f5b1bc4070715cf4ee892d5e36ea4.jpg

Finally, I've added fixed the first "structure" to the board - a low wall and pair of gates at the left-hand end.

1962324511_12.Gatesandpoints(3).jpg.7024d49f51e8838150a893eb5b16c6f3.jpg

The gates came from Scale Model Scenery, since they're much finer and sturdier than anything I could scratchbuild. They're posed slightly open, and provide a good edge to the scene whilst still implying it's part of a much bigger complex.

39458021_12.Gatesandpoints(1).jpg.0681d9052b18dac5da6bab929ae5abbe.jpg

That's all for now, just a few simple tasks I've been ticking off in the evenings since I've started working (from home) on my summer placement now. Next week I should probably add the finishing touches to the grain silo, before moving on to the warehouse building.

• Like 17

8 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

This is them in the "out" position; when they're pushed back they're not too obvious. I'll still need to disguise these properly at some point.

Really, really obvious idea warning ...

How about tyre fenders? Others positioned along the dock edge would help disguise your point rods!

Looking great, and I particularly like the gates (mental note - another idea to steal emulate!)

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1