Roco 319 repaint

ellocoloco

I suspect this should be really placed in different section, but I suspect it will just get frowned upon and lost in a sea of BR blue................:D

I have just stripped a Roco AVE 319 and intend to respray it into Taxi livery. I'll order up decals from Spain shortly and keep you guys up to date with progress. Below is a picture of the starting point - I had progressed slightly further, but its just gone back into the IPA as my first choice of yellow wasn't quite right.................Doh!

319 stripped.jpg

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I shall follow the progress of this as i'll probably want to repaint some locos in Taxi livery at some point, so am interested in what paints you use. I also have an Electrotren Renfe Mercanias 311 that I want backdate and repaint in the Red / Grey Taxi era livery, so am interested in the decals too.

I have been using this list - http://ftp.fcaf.cat/foro/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26408 - as a guide. But like everything on the web it may or may not be right!

For Taxi, I intend to use Humbrol 126 for the roof, Xtracolor 802 for the sides. These match the RAL colours. The yellow is open to debate - I am trying to match up against the Roco yellow and have tried Railmatch 210 (too eggy) and next will be Railmatch 304. (Railmatch 202 doesn't match either.) RENFE yellow should be Hataka C707 but its not easy to find and is an acrylic. The rest of my painting has been using enamels.  

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well after my false start and a return to the IPA bath, things have been going fine and I am now at a point where I will have to order decals.............it'll be a real bummer if they don't post to the UK!

Undercoat.jpg.66a210dde3d57b236a8be4db734e6ac5.jpg

Yellow body 319.jpg

Roof and yellow.jpg

The roof is Humbrol 126 which matches what the roof apparently should be. Roco's 319.232/320/406 - the original three models have too dark a roof. 

(Edited for presentation)

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished the sides with Xtracolor 802. The two greys, roof and sides, are the RAL numbers used by Renfe but I couldn't quite match the yellow. Importantly though, the match to a Roco model is much closer than I thought possible............yes the yellow isn't quite right, but its close enough for me.

Decals are on order from http://www.trenmilitaria.com/ and hopefully I'll have them soon. Before then I need to get a coat of Railmatch Gloss Varnish on which shouldn't be a problem as I've a weeks holiday starting today. :D

319 paint comparison.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2021 at 16:08, ellocoloco said:

Decals are on order from http://www.trenmilitaria.com/ and hopefully I'll have them soon.

Will be interesting to see how your order with trenmilitaria goes, as I would like to place an order with them for some transfers too. How easy was it to place an order / pay for them?

I had my wife write the email to him in perfect Spanish.............

Decals are printed twice a month from the orders he receives. Mine will be done towards the end of June. At that point I would expect a PP invoice and on payment for them to be posted. 

All the website catalogue prices and UK postage of €8.50 are correct. I have ordered 8 sets and whether I ever get round to using them I don't know, but I'm fairly happy with my progress on the 319 above so I may renumber some of my other ones just to make them special......I've now refitted handrails and grills/vents to the 319 and it has received a coat of Railmatch gloss varnish. 

I await the decals........

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been a little while since the decals were ordered, but they arrived last week and today I finally got round to trying them out and then a coat of Railmatch matt. I am quite happy so far - just need to remember how to put it back together! 

The transfer film on the decals appears more noticeable in the photos than on my desk!

Decals on 1.jpg

• Like 3

Popped everything back in today and I must say, it went together much easier than expected.....though I found that the previous owner decided to keep the horns! They are in stock at Roco so will get a couple ordered up as spares. Its now got a Lenz Std+V2 and is running very well.

Ready to take its turn on the uphill drag from Sagunto to Teruel......:D

408+402.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just been looking back over your thread, and the loco looks fantastic, and a great match with the factory painted finish of the other loco. Will be great to see it hauling a nice long coal train.

Which leads me to a question. Who's yellow paint did you finally go with, and what number paint? Reason for asking, is that i'm planning on purchasing a 269 in the White/Grey Mercancias livery with a view to re-painting it back to Taxi livery, and i'd like to match the Electrotren 321 I already have if I can.

I used Railmatch 304.

Since then I have been using thinned car touch up paints which I have discovered I can get on Ebay to the correct RAL colour for the yellow - RAL 1021 Rape Yellow. These are lacquer paint and I think priced reasonably for the quantity. and so far I have done the white and red on a 592 and would have done the grey yesterday but my airbrush refused to play!!

I'm happy so far and will be getting some yellow for my next loco. I have another AVE 319 which will be next in the IPA bath....:) 

Is the Mercancias 269 from a set? If so, I think it may be a 'dumbed down' version in terms of pantographs and lighting.

Edited by ellocoloco
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I used Railmatch 304.

Since then I have been using thinned car touch up paints which I have discovered I can get on Ebay to the correct RAL colour for the yellow - RAL 1021 Rape Yellow. These are lacquer paint and I think priced reasonably for the quantity. and so far I have done the white and red on a 592 and would have done the grey yesterday but my airbrush refused to play!!

I'm happy so far and will be getting some yellow for my next loco. I have another AVE 319 which will be next in the IPA bath....:) 

Is the Mercancias 269 from a set? If so, I think it may be a 'dumbed down' version in terms of pantographs and lighting.

Many thanks for the colour, I was looking at using Railmatch myself as I have some already, but can't remember if I have 304 or not. Must have a look.

Yes, it was going to be a 269 from a set, so it's very useful to know that the pantograph aren't going to be the same as a normal release. When you say 'dumbed down' do you mean they are plastic and can't be raised? The lighting I'm not massively worried about, although directional lighting is useful on DCC.

Edited by Geep7

1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

When you say 'dumbed down' do you mean they are plastic and can't be raised?

I'm sure I read on Forotrenes that it was different to the standard version, but looking back it appears to only be a plastic pantograph that is different. It may be worth having a trawl.....Here's one post about it.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I've done another!

Pretty much exactly as the last one - pity the previous progress pictures have gone though one survives! Again using the Roco model of AVE 319.247, I have gone full Taxi for 319.409. As before Railmatch 304, Humbrol 126 and 85 and Xtracolour 802. Followed by Railmatch gloss then satin after decals from http://www.trenmilitaria.com/ once again. I think I have improved a little this time having more accurate masking and more patience!

1460259256_409mix.jpg.b3d625a7b33fb225d035be6674c3b8e6.jpg

863263118_P9030023(2).JPG.d7ba4477e837eec5a808fbaf943f0ce5.JPG

Alongside 319.408 which I did last summer and detailed earlier on this thread and Roco original 319.402, I am quite happy with how it turned out I suspect there may be more!

1800163281_P9030047(3).JPG.4d84a805c24209cb257f68f25005a4aa.JPG

One day I will eventually build a layout based on Eastern Spain Era 5C. I think the reason love of the Taxi livery is because it reminds me of my favourite BR livery - Large Logo blue - and any Spanish layout can never have enough 319s.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work again.

As a coincidence, I've just managed to pick up a ROCO 319 in taxi livery..... 319.257 with the Cargas logos (which I'll be removing). Will be interesting putting it next to my Mabar 319 of the class before they were rebuilt.....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Will be interesting putting it next to my Mabar 319 of the class before they were rebuilt.....

Look forward to it. There were no unrebuilt 319s left by the time my chosen era came around but if there ever appeared  a model of an American hood 319 I would be tempted. With Mabar being for sale I'm not holding my breath!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

With Mabar being for sale I'm not holding my breath!

Yes, very sad to hear about it.... I think it would leave just Electrotren, well Hornby really, exclusively doing Spanish outline models, if no one buys them.... I'm glad I bought my Class 432 when I did.

Edited by Geep7
  • Agree 1