The 2nd Official APT-E Thread

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

As an aside, how do I restore my avatar on here? I can't find any reference to doing it anywhere. ☹️

Go to your profile, there is a landscape like button next to the avatar on the left side. Click and you can add a photo.....

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2022 at 23:33, Kaput said:

1) Need to come up with a DCC address, did the real thing ever get a TOPS number or anything? I'm half tempted to use 152 in reference to its speed record for lack of better choice.

I knew I'd set mine to the speed record when I bought one of the first batch a few years back. It had a special run out at Ally Pally the other week and I had to double check what the speed record was before I could run it, as I'd forgotten the number................................

4 hours ago, E100 said:

Couple of questions

1. Any idea where all the bits go or are they spares!

2. Mine has 4 window wipers yet I believe one of the power cars only should have 1? What's the best way to correct this?

The bits are spares as is amply explained in that booklet included in the box that everyone's supposed to read before asking questions 😃

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

The bits are spares as is amply explained in that booklet included in the box that everyone's supposed to read before asking questions 😃

Hey I did read it beforehand just clearly not closely enough haha. I could tell some were spares but honestly couldn't figure where the other bits came from.

On that note it was an entertaining read and I do wish others would follow in injecting some fun into it :D

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Go to your profile, there is a landscape like button next to the avatar on the left side. Click and you can add a photo.....

Magic, thanks. 👍

Sorted now. 

15 hours ago, E100 said:

Hey I did read it beforehand just clearly not closely enough haha. I could tell some were spares but honestly couldn't figure where the other bits came from.

On that note it was an entertaining read and I do wish others would follow in injecting some fun into it :D

I don't think I would have worked out what the spare windscreen wipers were without help 😃

And yes, I loved the entertaining style of the booklet, especially the bit about them being willing to help unless you leave it to 2075 to open the set

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2022 at 19:58, andyman7 said:

I would like to complain about the booklet. It mentions several times regarding posting on RMWeb. Why did you not anticipate the outage?

Not run mine yet but I have taken it out the box and it certainly looks the part :)

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2022 at 23:33, Kaput said:

So, I went full crazy person and picked one up at Ally Pally. Not ran it yet or anything like that but couple of things to look into:

1) Need to come up with a DCC address, did the real thing ever get a TOPS number or anything? I'm half tempted to use 152 in reference to its speed record for lack of better choice.

2) Suggestions for display case/storage that doesn't require to uncouple it all the time (can't store on layout as not permanent). Best I've seen is those trainsafe tubes but quite expensive  without even considering the possiblity of import costs/taxes due to being an EU based company. Any alternatives?

Trainsafe works brilliantly, you can even mount them on the wall.  My APT-E lives in one.  Anyone know where I can get more Trainsafe’s from?

• RMweb Gold

I've given mine a very quick (and short) run now - it made me realise this is the first sound equipped model I've bought (I'm not sure if you can count the Flying Scotsman with it's sandpaper chuffer!). Accurascale were on course for that accolade until you did the second APT-E run. Very impressive, if a little loud at times - but then I never saw or heard the real thing so...

It was loud, yes, and sounded like a Boeing 707 at full chat and at low altitude. 😲

Watching, and hearing, it pass me  doing 150 mph while standing on Didcot station platform during the middle weekend of our Western Region test runs was an awe inspiring experience! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

It seems many, if not all, of the PC2s in this second run have been fitted with 2 windscreen wipers. The instructions jokingly say to pull one off, but which one and will it leave a hole?

Small quality issue to report upon unboxing mine. PC1’s power bogie has the green cover missing on the underside leaving alll the gears exposed. Not in the box, so I’ll give Rapido a call. Part no. 12 on the exploded diagram.

Probably  worth unboxing to double check everything is as it should be, if like me you do not have anywhere to run it yet.

Quick question it says in the manual  that running on DC that the directional head lights work work but on my PC2 only the tail lights work in reverse the headlights don't come on when moving forward? PC1 seems to work fine.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AshleyH said:

It seems many, if not all, of the PC2s in this second run have been fitted with 2 windscreen wipers. The instructions jokingly say to pull one off, but which one and will it leave a hole?

As I mentioned above, PC2's wiper usually parked on the left, viewed from inside the cab, but occasionally it refused to do what it was told and parked on the right, so either would do. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2022 at 11:28, AshleyH said:

Small quality issue to report upon unboxing mine. PC1’s power bogie has the green cover missing on the underside leaving alll the gears exposed. Not in the box, so I’ll give Rapido a call. Part no. 12 on the exploded diagram.

Probably  worth unboxing to double check everything is as it should be, if like me you do not have anywhere to run it yet.

I have seen your email - my man will be on it tomorrow! An unusual fault that one!

We opted to fit both wipers in pre-bird strike condition...

• Thanks 1

It wasn't a bird strike, there were always two wipers on PC1 and one on PC2, once we'd got past the first run. 

The bird strike was on PC2 on the last run, which is why it's bent now and never got fixed at the time. 

There was only one wiper on both PCs originally, and at Rebuild 1, after the First Run, they fitted twin wipers on PC1 to see if they were any better than a singleton. The train stayed like that until the Last Run, when the bird strike occurred en route to York, but it was a waste of effort doing anything to it then so it's still like it now.

In the Support and Conservation Group we've thought of taking one good wiper off PC1 and replacing the bent one on PC2, but then we'd lose a reason for people to ask why they're different. 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got my Inter City E-Train unpacked and all clicked together nicely. The current production seems to need s tad more force to click the vehicles together than the earlier version. Perhaps the tooling has worn a little by now?

I couldn't actually run it as the Gloucester MRC Test Track is being rebuilt, but it looks pretty impressive just standing there.

IC APT-E-a.jpg

IC APT-E-b.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2

I prefer the livery it carried but those colours almost make it look like an HST !

If the programme had not been cancelled and it had entered fleet service alongside the "stopgap" units we had for decades, they would have looked good together, the HSTs presumably being cascaded onto secondary routes.

So the Peaks, Deltics, some of the 47s etc would presumably have been retired earlier.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I prefer the livery it carried but those colours almost make it look like an HST !

If the programme had not been cancelled and it had entered fleet service alongside the "stopgap" units we had for decades, they would have looked good together, the HSTs presumably being cascaded onto secondary routes.

So the Peaks, Deltics, some of the 47s etc would presumably have been retired earlier.

APT-E was only ever intended to be a 1-off though. It was the APT-P which was intended to be put into full service, so a 'what if' of that in a newer version of InterCity or maybe even Virgin or LNER livery would be more appropriate.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

APT-E was only ever intended to be a 1-off though. It was the APT-P which was intended to be put into full service, so a 'what if' of that in a newer version of InterCity or maybe even Virgin or LNER livery would be more appropriate.

nah, I want to do one in Intercity blue/grey like Kit's Apt-E above