SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

At the members day I picked up a half finished non running  HST from BGman’s estate. 

Now the respray is complete, the chassis rebuilt. And just needs me to build a suitable layout to run it on.E19C501B-FC5C-4F5B-A6F4-6773BAC17096.jpeg.3153c0e312f4202360f22e682cb88362.jpegFB474F7E-917C-4A95-A471-05D6167DE90E.jpeg.3eb85ee71df21f9edfc4d680dd5fc995.jpeg

Well done, Rich.

It's great to see folk working on Grahame's stuff after we've moved it on.

He'd be proud of you!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have to admit I don't understand W3W at all, and how I would go about getting my address stated in W3W,

let alone as an earlier post indicated they could distinguish between their front gate and their front door in a W3W text.
I've only just started to understand about 10% of what I can do with my iPhoneSE 13.7.

• Friendly/supportive 4

The best uses of W3W I'm aware of are when rescue helicopters have to find some hiker who has broken his leg in the middle of nowhere - but he had to be lucky to get a phone signal of course. On the ground does it tell you how to get to the W3W address from where you are? (I'd check but my phone signal is so rubbish where I live I can't load the app.)

But I know where Staplegrove Hall is - immediately after the road works traffic light control ...

Edited by 10800
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 10800 said:

But I know where Staplegrove Hall is - immediately after the road works traffic light control ...

Which, hopefully, won't be there by next year!🙂

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2022 at 12:18, Penlan said:

I have to admit I don't understand W3W at all, and how I would go about getting my address stated in W3W,

let alone as an earlier post indicated they could distinguish between their front gate and their front door in a W3W text.
I've only just started to understand about 10% of what I can do with my iPhoneSE 13.7.

It is a phone app, uses GPS to locate you with necessary location to yes prompt, the grid is permanently set by them, you don't have to set it. 

Of course it has flaws. The obvious one, I may have my phone with me but if I were to be lying unconscious then my phone is locked and useless for anyone to use even if they knew about W3W, conversely though if the situation is reversed I can give the 999 controller a very accurate location fix provided there is a signal for the phone in the first place. It can be saved (the GPS should work on the phone) so even if you have to walk somewhere to get a phone signal you would have the W3W words in the app.

Edited by john new
Deleted a duplicated word.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am still recovering from the other weekend, not from being knackered or even I survived bandit Country but what our friend Captain Tim said to me.

I mentioned that J69s were cuter than pannier tanks (fact not opinion) to which he replied something on the lines "We cannot have any LNER around here." Fully taken aback, LNER?????  No a J69 is Great EASTERN Railway. Those who live and model the wrong side of Royal Oak Station have little idea of what went on in the civilized part of the country. So I shall try to educate you all.

The LNER only ran a few trains between London and some place the other side of that wall.

There were three great railways, the GNR, the GER, and the GNoSR, not just one. Four if you include the Johnny Come Lately GCR formally known as the Manchester, Sheffield and middle of nowhere railway. Plus two who were rightly called after their location the NER and the NBR. All operated well into the 1980s as independent entities despite  numerous attempts to bring them under a central control.

It could be argued that a J72 is cuter than a J69 or a J52, some people's guide dogs even say a N5 is nice looking, so you can see there is no such overall thing as the LNER. 

Some misguided people will say they model the LNER, but when you look at their train set you realise they model the NBR in the days when it was lettered LNER to keep the government happy.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Isnt there a W3W thread elswhere on the site and if not does someone fancy starting one. This topic has become increasingly dull and repetative since the crass "The Emergency services are rubbish about locations" , statement a few pages back.

Dates permitting, Im bringing William Smith's Wharf next year.

Jerry

74816594_IMG_1522-Copy.PNG.1dbce2233858175633f8f00caf53c9b5.PNGIMG_1516.PNG.9f20a0a7d9e5d9cc034a3ce10c345cd8.PNG

Indeed, Jerry. I did suggest the lack of relevance to the thread but it was ignored.  

We should be using this thread to continue to celebrate what was a jolly day out. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Indeed, Jerry. I did suggest the lack of relevance to the thread but it was ignored.  

We should be using this thread to continue to celebrate what was a jolly day out. 

Rob. 

And nobody has complained that they couldn't find the place......

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Ewe is now set up in the Room of Doom at Chateau Sheep and has been played with for the first time since the members day. 

My lack of operating on the day was testament to the fact that you simply can't organise and exhibit. One or other of these roles or both will inevitably be compromised so it's led to me reviewing the nature of my involvement for next years event. 

The organisation will of course take precedence and as Jerry mentions, I am approaching layout owners as per the separate 2023 thread. 

What I can say is that it is unlikely that there will be anything new from myself at next years members day. I would rather concentrate on maintaining the high standard of the day than risk dropping the ball due to being pre-occupied with my own stuff.

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am still recovering from the other weekend, not from being knackered or even I survived bandit Country but what our friend Captain Tim said to me.

I mentioned that J69s were cuter than pannier tanks (fact not opinion) to which he replied something on the lines "We cannot have any LNER around here." Fully taken aback, LNER?????  No a J69 is Great EASTERN Railway. Those who live and model the wrong side of Royal Oak Station have little idea of what went on in the civilized part of the country. So I shall try to educate you all.

The LNER only ran a few trains between London and some place the other side of that wall.

There were three great railways, the GNR, the GER, and the GNoSR, not just one. Four if you include the Johnny Come Lately GCR formally known as the Manchester, Sheffield and middle of nowhere railway. Plus two who were rightly called after their location the NER and the NBR. All operated well into the 1980s as independent entities despite  numerous attempts to bring them under a central control.

It could be argued that a J72 is cuter than a J69 or a J52, some people's guide dogs even say a N5 is nice looking, so you can see there is no such overall thing as the LNER. 

Some misguided people will say they model the LNER, but when you look at their train set you realise they model the NBR in the days when it was lettered LNER to keep the government happy.

The Kernow Towers Committee for Public Safety will concede the following:

- LNER is generally not acceptable in any shape or form, unless sold out of service to industry or impecunious light railways

- the GCR was a great railway and is the exception that proves the banana. There are some books on the subject extant in Kernow Towers

- anything in Scotland is exempt, because they are generally decent folk and a haggis never offended anyone

- an emerging affiliation with a small corner of the GER may compromise Kernow Towers values

- the GNR did not run to Horrocksford or Haverfordwest but it did run to other locations that are considered acceptable to the Kernow Towers Travel Bureau and Itinerary of Scenic Holidays

- J72s are Honorary Panniers:

20210209_162356.jpg.5653e016745c249d0d099617e2e122da.jpg

In conclusion, it is possible to have your fishcake and eat it.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I happily flew the flag for those east of London, I don't yet have a J69 but there were J70s, a J15 and a Claud to be seen on Upbech along with a J72 and J39.

J15.jpg.fb2a12a30014ea3e3524551820847db0.jpg

778896128_J702.jpg.9c5cb13c2d105b39d109c96e143640b0.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The Kernow Towers Committee for Public Safety will concede the following:

- LNER is generally not acceptable in any shape or form, unless sold out of service to industry or impecunious light railways

- the GCR was a great railway and is the exception that proves the banana. There are some books on the subject extant in Kernow Towers

- anything in Scotland is exempt, because they are generally decent folk and a haggis never offended anyone

- an emerging affiliation with a small corner of the GER may compromise Kernow Towers values

- the GNR did not run to Horrocksford or Haverfordwest but it did run to other locations that are considered acceptable to the Kernow Towers Travel Bureau and Itinerary of Scenic Holidays

- J72s are Honorary Panniers:

20210209_162356.jpg.5653e016745c249d0d099617e2e122da.jpg

In conclusion, it is possible to have your fishcake and eat it.

I have a set of parts for a J72 which may get built one day and pressed into service on the North Somerset Light, they are indeed rather cute. I would also rather like one of those steam powered brake van, tram like things that those Eastern types favoured - not sure what use it could be put to in Somerset but it is rather nice!

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, queensquare said:

not sure what use it could be put to in Somerset but it is rather nice!

Could you bend history and geography a bit more, and create a roadside line????

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, DLT said:

And very similar to a G6:  https://sremg.org.uk/steam/g6class.shtml

In outline, certainly, but I remember a magazine article on how to convert the Mainline model to a HO G6, so they were presumably quite a bit smaller. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, DLT said:

Did it go to Brassknocker Basin?

Always thought that this would be a wonderful basis/name for a layout......pretty much in the spirit of Jerry's Tucking Mill etc...

Open cab Victorian 0.4.0 ST......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Always thought that this would be a wonderful basis/name for a layout......pretty much in the spirit of Jerry's Tucking Mill etc...

Its a potential future extension - Brassknocker is only a mile or two along the valley from TM and the Wharf although current thinking for modelling another section of the North Somerset Light is in the other direction....

Jerry

• Like 7

17 hours ago, queensquare said:

- not sure what use it could be put to in Somerset but it is rather nice!

Moving vans over the M5 on the Ordnance Factory access line near Puriton.
I worked on that part of the M5 in 1970-72 and because of the gradient needed to get the track over the M5 from the exchange sidings on the main line (Bristol/Taunton),  they had to provide a more powerful engine!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Possibly the final official act of SWAG '22, I can confirm that the visitors details provided on entry have now been disposed of. 

That clears the decks now and closes things off for a couple of months until I start to formally bring together next years event. 

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2