• RMweb Gold

The trickiest DCC installation is this Bachmann A4 - Miles Beevor (no sniggering at the back, please). It has a split chassis and required completely dismantling and reassembling with leads soldered to the motor connectors. It actually worked!

Miles.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

With the pans down on the 86s and the catenary reenergised at 1500V DC, the 76 is stretching its legs. The loco has just had DCC fitted and it needed to be weathered with a combination of sleeper grime and black acrylic paint and weathering powder. It just didn't look right in its original pristine state!

DSCFA498.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Those Deltics do look very good! I've just noticed the backscene behind the rear of the shed, apologies if it's been mentioned before but who makes it? I like the way the warehouse is at an angle, it adds a bit of relief to the backscene. 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Those Deltics do look very good! I've just noticed the backscene behind the rear of the shed, apologies if it's been mentioned before but who makes it? I like the way the warehouse is at an angle, it adds a bit of relief to the backscene. 

It’s a panorama I took off the top of Alport Heights near Matlock looking towards Nottingham and the Vale of Belvoir. I chopped and printed it on A4 sheets and glued them, with poplar trees covering the joins I cocked up.

The shed at the end is from a photo of a concrete casting place near me that was cut out and stuck on. There are a couple of low relief premises on the rear of the layout which are Scale Model Scenes examples. 

I am planning a layout extension soon, and I’ll look to re do the backscene, but I’ll get the same panorama done properly at a print shop this time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Will this be renamed and renumbered to 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley?

Quite possibly, though it really needs a double funnel. I have a white metal one that can be put on, but I don’t want to ruin the existing lining if possible. Reading up on the A4s, I believe that the wheels from Miles Beevor ended up underneath Sir Nigel, so it would be a nicety to carry that on. Also looking online Miles Beevor had a double funnel as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Quite possibly, though it really needs a double funnel. I have a white metal one that can be put on, but I don’t want to ruin the existing lining if possible. Reading up on the A4s, I believe that the wheels from Miles Beevor ended up underneath Sir Nigel, so it would be a nicety to carry that on. Also looking online Miles Beevor had a double funnel as well.

The first few were built with single chimneys. Testing revealed that they performed better with doubles, so later ones were fitted with doubles from new. The earlier ones were given doubles during overhaul, so they all ended up with them.

The preserved ones were not retro-fitted with a single, but you can always invoke rule 1 😀

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The preserved ones were not retro-fitted with a single, but you can always invoke rule 1 😀

A bit like my fictitious preserved Deltics! They may get weathered an go into their respective eras, in due course. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The first few were built with single chimneys. Testing revealed that they performed better with doubles, so later ones were fitted with doubles from new. The earlier ones were given doubles during overhaul, so they all ended up with them.

Didn't Mallard get it's double chimney for its record breaking run?

• RMweb Gold

I had a proper binge of fitting DCC decoders and have finished, with 63 items of rolling stock so fitted. Most have LaisDCC 4 function decoders installed, which are just over a tenner a piece and do the job well. Some will get replaced with sound upgrades, or fancier decoders with more functions.

I am ready to consider moving on to extending the layout from the shed end in the coming months, and will look to redecorate the wall it sits against and then put a big shelf with 'Dexion' for the existing layout module and the new one to sit upon. Time is tight at the moment, but I'll document it all on this thread, giving details of the construction as I go along. Happy days!

20220625_074956.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

20220417_132128.jpg.81b270db1c6879d894e500428216eb23.jpg

July’s job will be to rewire the layout for DCC, consolidating all the separate switchable sections into 3 main blocks which will be the running line and 2 sets of sidings. I’ll also sort out the random wire colouring (I ran out of the correct colours quite quickly first time round), and also remove the hard wired connections to the control panel (barely visible in the top right hand drawer) so it can be unplugged from the layout.

This will allow me to turn my attention to the new shelf for the existing layout and the new layout module to the left. 

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3

On 15/03/2022 at 13:09, 97406 said:

Regarding Brecknell Willis pantographs, Gaugemaster have some of the new Heljan ones as spares on order.

Are these BW HS pantographs?  If so, how much are they please?