• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

Love that picture, that RTC 24(?) Is placed to give me train spotters moral dilemma.  I know the number but can't see it, can I underline it. Please keep the pictures coming!

Tis 97201, the new Bachmann version. Consider it bagged :) 37501 next, then 97405 and 97408, and a class 50 cab job after that according to the current schedule :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

Great layout and collection of locos, love the 40’s and 86’s mate

Thank you. The 40s and 86s are my 2 favourite classes, closely followed by the rest.

I have bought the remaining 2 departmental 40s, both Bachmann retools but they are awaiting the Shawplan windscreens, which look to be on back order with Brian at the moment as he’s had a rush on sales. That’s quite a worthwhile job to do, but the Bachmann retooled screens are already very close in their dimensions, compared to earlier 37s and 40s of any manufacturer. My method is slightly different to the way in which the etches were intended to be used, but it avoids having to make a cut across the bonnet of the loco, and allows the screens to be fitted and blended in with fresh paint easier. The downside is you lose a little of the flushness of the glazing due to the thickness of the etch. 

I also have a couple of Heljan 86/4s on pre order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

Brilliant. Very inspiring.

i am planning my first ever build and intend on building a small TMD.

Glad you like it, squire! It’s definitely a good way to start, and the eventual aim is to incorporate it into a bigger layout. However this is likely to be a project for retirement in a few years’ time. I have plans for a shed/garden room for then, big enough for some larger radius curves with superelevation, which looks pretty cool. A tail chaser with fiddle yard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

Glad you like it, squire! It’s definitely a good way to start, and the eventual aim is to incorporate it into a bigger layout. However this is likely to be a project for retirement in a few years’ time. I have plans for a shed/garden room for then, big enough for some larger radius curves with superelevation, which looks pretty cool. A tail chaser with fiddle yard.

Thats a great idea.  Can end up with a larger layout but by starting off smaller

Note to self......  start small (I always get too carried away too early)

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

Have you got a track plan to show?

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2021 at 18:52, davidparker172 said:

Have you got a track plan to show?

I converted the 2 chests of drawers and added the baseboard and then used the Peco printable templates that you can download from the Peco website to work out a track plan. I tried to avoid laying all of the sidings parallel to the baseboard edges. Sadly, I didn't take many pics or join RMWeb during the early stages of the build last year. However, here's an aerial photo of the result. I forgot to mention before that there's a small fiddle yard to the right of the picture that joins with the lowest track under the bridge. It detaches from the main layout. The 61" length dimension I mentioned before is for the scenic bit, not the fiddle yard to the right which is about 30" additional length.

LayPan.jpg.e14de4602dfa23894e8fd99e189b87ed.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Retaining walls, embankments, the bridge and the shed are all made from card, including downloaded kits from the likes of Scale Model Scenery. It's great what you can get online these days compared to when I were a lad!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, 97406 said:

I converted the 2 chests of drawers and added the baseboard and then used the Peco printable templates that you can download from the Peco website to work out a track plan. I tried to avoid laying all of the sidings parallel to the baseboard edges. Sadly, I didn't take many pics or join RMWeb during the early stages of the build last year. However, here's an aerial photo of the result. I forgot to mention before that there's a small fiddle yard to the right of the picture that joins with the lowest track under the bridge. It detaches from the main layout. The 61" length dimension I mentioned before is for the scenic bit, not the fiddle yard to the right which is about 30" additional length.

LayPan.jpg

Excellent thats fantastic!!!

I am trying to understand how people plan their tmd layouts, and i think that looking at everyoes track plans is s good start!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

Excellent thats fantastic!!!

I am trying to understand how people plan their tmd layouts, and i think that looking at everyoes track plans is s good start!!!

Another thing I was conscious of was not filling the entire space with as much track as possible. Leave a little space to help set the scene. A good backscene helps too. Mine's a panorama that I took off the top of a hill (Alport Height in Derbyshire). I just printed it onto A4 sheets and stuck them in place. Some of the poplar trees are there to hide the joins I cocked up! :D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A little more free time and work has started on my remaining two departmental 40s, 97405 and 97408, based on the retooled Bachmann model. I have lowered them, detailed the chassis and they will get the Shawplan windscreens in due course as they just have the edge on the Bachmann screens shape-wise. I have also added the missing lifting points to 97407 and my other retool which is 40143 (not pictured here)

DSCF0331.jpg.f3a88d5136b62d750eef82c4e5fb56cf.jpgDSCF0334.jpg.8769afb5d9b1d4af29fdd57a853551c9.jpgDSCF0330.jpg.3b69284ba2e49c619cb7ea5d32f7c171.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

In addition I treated myself to a Bachmann 4MT for my birthday. It needed the uniform factory weathering cutting back with some IPA and a feDSCF0329.jpg.5c5e49cef7f01bea05c13254576abe08.jpgw cotton buds. It's a nice model and in demand for open days!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

97405 has been outshopped, seen here with its departmental siblings. Will sort the odd buffer at the number 2 end - I dropped the chassis!. 97408 to follow.DSCF0342.jpg.1edb45994bb0dd495de17ab35f018d8e.jpgDSCF0343.jpg.9684d0c2c41f8d4479f3ee057d2d375c.jpgDSCF0344.jpg.dfa8db920c955746c938c2a2df03be77.jpgDSCF0341.jpg.35e931d7c35c1737c1682c7bd0e444c1.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...