RevolutioN to produce OO Gauge TU013A Caustic Soda Tank

MRDBLUE17

Just popped my order in but noticed the e-mail states "Your pre-order has been received. You will be notified when your pre-order is released on April 30, 2023" - I was sure the website said due for release in 2022?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

1977 is a tad too modern for me, so were these tanks or chassis' used on any other earlier Standard Wagon builds?

Mike.

Hi there,

No, I think this chassis design was new (at the time) to Standard Wagon.  Unlike earlier builds it used Gloucester coil-sprung suspension units and incoporated changes to brake equipment designed to improve significantly on the performance of earlier wagons on routes with steep gradients.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, jamesC37LG said:

Just popped my order in but noticed the e-mail states "Your pre-order has been received. You will be notified when your pre-order is released on April 30, 2023" - I was sure the website said due for release in 2022?

Hi James,

Thanks for your order it’s very much appreciated. I’m not sure why you got the message with a date like that but we will look into that. All being well with production we are hoping it arrives next year. 

Thank you

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 66738 said:

Sorry if I have missed it somewhere but when did the TRL logos get replaced with Tiger ones? 

The TIGER lettering started to appear in at least 1987 when some of the wagons entered clay use. The same with those that went over to ATO. Other wagons remained in ICI traffic and gained the lettering along with a revision to the ICI logo. 

Hope that helps 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just found out about these via a link off a link (from the Sonic Models site)

When I realised it was in 4mm scale I got quite excited and had to tell you so!

I do look forward to being able to easily acquire examples of a lesser known, but regular, clay carrier :)

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

First of all I just want to say thank you to everyone that has supported our TUA project with Revolution and placed orders already. It has been great to see how positively the choice of wagon has been received. It’s also been really interesting talking to many modellers on the phone, from those that worked up close to them or saw them in various workings at locations up and down the country and want to recreate on their layouts.

We showed off the final CAD work when we announced the wagon back in May and the factory started tooling early in June.

We are very excited to share this quick shot straight out of the box from China, of the first hand assembled tooled sample which arrived at Revolution HQ this week. 

3FED1405-3196-4521-8AE7-93CACD88FAB8.jpeg.4dddde077b6d2dfb5fa8bfa1a0733b3e.jpeg

This is being checked for dimensional accuracy, detail, fit of parts etc and I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it shortly after that. 

Our early bird price of £35 is still available and all

options are on our website at Rainbow Railways:

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/?s=Tua&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

Thank you 

Mark

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

The team at Revolution along with the factory in China have been busy producing the artwork and first decorated samples of our TUA tank wagons. Ben has sent me through some images of these samples which  have arrived and you’ll be able to see for yourselves this coming weekend 25th-27th Feb 2022 at Model Rail Scotland on both Revolution and Rainbow Railways stands. 

All our TUA’s are still available to order via our website at our early bird price of £35 each .

We look forward to seeing you there,

thanks

Mark

*please note these are first painted samples to check colours and printing and changes will be made before final production. 

BCE64B87-5022-4C8B-8B1D-60880F25C23B.jpeg

808217F6-5D7E-4C8F-8E78-2AF45E6586F0.jpeg

B03E1A20-DE16-4432-A38C-33BD678520C2.jpeg

FD795CD5-A7D6-4CB0-85E4-91EB807A5920.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking nice. 

I know it's 1st decorated sample and the one thing I would say is that the lighter colours on dark background (always a challenge) -White, Yellow and Orange don't seem to be defined enough, with dark colours showing from below/dulling the lighter colours.  But like you say it's the first sample, so hopefully will be looked at.

Got to order a couple.....

Best Wishes,

• Thanks 1

Looking good, Mark. I think a few of these might well be winging their way towards Waverley West. Just need to decide exactly which ones.

Looking forward to seeing them (and you!) in Glasgow on Saturday (tickets booked and ready to go).

Cheers

Dave

PS I still think there's a gap in OO for these...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Looking good, Mark. I think a few of these might well be winging their way towards Waverley West. Just need to decide exactly which ones.

Looking forward to seeing them (and you!) in Glasgow on Saturday (tickets booked and ready to go).

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was going to message you to see if you were coming, brilliant that you are I will look forward to seeing you. 

see you soon

thanks

Mark

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Cheers

Dave

And LPG TTAs. And several other 4 wheel tank variants. This seems like a missed niche so far - great to see your tapping into this with your TUAs Mark - I’ve several on order to help you get on and make them other tank wagons for us… :-). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/02/2022 at 09:03, Torbay Express said:

Looking nice. 

I know it's 1st decorated sample and the one thing I would say is that the lighter colours on dark background (always a challenge) -White, Yellow and Orange don't seem to be defined enough, with dark colours showing from below/dulling the lighter colours.  But like you say it's the first sample, so hopefully will be looked at.

Got to order a couple.....

Best Wishes,

It was the ICI navy blue that I was concerned about but wasn't going to say anything. They aren't grey. 

Paul

The correct colours for the wagons can be seen on the photos on the Rainbow Railways website. There’s also a photo of TRL70705 on page 18 of ‘Modelling BR Wagonload Formations’ which shows it in the standard ECC blue.

It could be argued that the grey used on the ATO wagon sample represents a weathered/crud covered version of the ICI navy blue.

Colour issues aside, the samples do look excellent.

Edited by KAR 120C
Missing comment.
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2021 at 00:00, sc2016 said:

I was wondering if anybody could help me on the following:

I am looking at the TUA wagons and noticed on the Revolution Trains diagram that there were Pan Ocean/ ATO TUA Wagons that runned to Bridgewater and i am struggling to find much information about the traffic so i was hoping someone would help me on some of the questions i have got:

• How many wagons were usually on the Bridgewater traffic?
  • Was the customer British Cellophane?
  • How long did the ATO tanks get used for as it looks like they may off finished in 1991?
  • Also did they get mixed into a train that had the China Clay TUAs in the consist?

Thanks for your help,

Samuel.

David Ratcliffe has read through this topic recently but is unable to post because of computer problems. He has asked me to post the following on his behalf. 

With regards to the workings from Pan Ocean at Eastham, near Ellesmere Port, as a post dated June 3, 2021 in that thread quotes my 'Changing Face of Raifreight' bookazine and mentions some on the information in the caption to a photo of TRL70701 I thought I'd flesh it out a bit more.

At the time I took that photograph, in March 1987, there were four of these tank comprising that pool, TRL70701/2/3/4.  Then in 1989 they were joined by another four, Nos. TRL70720/22/23/25, while TRL70715/16/27 had also joined the pool by March 1990.

While not evident from the Hazchem labels applied to the first four in the pool, which were all there together at Pan Ocean that day in 1987, the tanks were leased to Laporte Chemicals although none ever carried any livery to indicate such.

The caustic soda traffic from the Pan Ocean tank farm at Eastham ran to British Cellophane at Bridgewater, Glaxo at Ulverston, and Albright & Wilson at Corkickle, with the last reference I have being dated June 1991.  So it would have been another casualty of the demise of Speedlink.

One other point worth clarifying in terms of another post in that thread is that these tanks did not carry caustic soda to Crosfield at Warrington.  While caustic soda was/is a chemical used at that chemical plant I believe that by the 1980's Crosfield recieved that by road.  The 51t TRL707xx tanks when working to Warrington were in ball clay slurry traffic from Devon, and they retained their original livery albeit with the ICI lettering painted over.

To add to this:

As mentioned by Flood it does look like several of these had gone into china clay traffic for a period before returning to this Caustic soda traffic. - as examples in china clay use 70723 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua/e2ec79279  and 70725   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua/e2d12ab50 both in October 1987  and 70720 October 1988 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua/e87e1793f

Paul Bartlett

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 months later...