Modern Signal Gantries

• 3 weeks later...

According to this page - https://elayout.co.uk/suppliers/41644-AbsoluteAspects

Absolute Aspects "accept projects to build bespoke signal including gantries to fit any layout".  However, I agree that there isn't a ready to order version on their website.  I suppose you could try contacting them through their website.

I assume that the Dapol kit is too old for your purposes - https://www.hattons.co.uk/34832/dapol_c017_signal_gantry_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Apart from that, I'm not sure I can think of anything vaguely modern.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dungrange said:

According to this page - https://elayout.co.uk/suppliers/41644-AbsoluteAspects

Absolute Aspects "accept projects to build bespoke signal including gantries to fit any layout".  However, I agree that there isn't a ready to order version on their website.  I suppose you could try contacting them through their website.

I assume that the Dapol kit is too old for your purposes - https://www.hattons.co.uk/34832/dapol_c017_signal_gantry_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Apart from that, I'm not sure I can think of anything vaguely modern.

The Ratio LMS pratt truss gantry is also adaptable and they were used with colour light signal heads.  Using the Dapol (ex Airfix) gantry or the Ratio version really only suits particular Rehgions but they could probably be hacked about a bit to make them more widely suitable and they wouldn't look to out of place in a WR or ScR setting as the reading design had some similarities and i think the one at Perth (if it is still there?) might well have been near enough teh standard LMS design.

• 10 months later...

Has anything yet come along that's up to the quality of the Traintronics brass etched signal gantries?
Shame their design wasn't sold on. The ones I've seen on youtube layouts just look so good.
With the hobby exploding you'd think someone would see a good opportunity to cover a fine detail signal gantry.

• RMweb Premium

I’m going to be printing some 3D printed ones (in N by design, but scalable) as found on the WCML if that would be of any interest. No idea on the exact viability yet, but should work alright. 

• Like 1

Problem for manufacturers is that once you get past the 2 main types (solid or truss) almost no two are the same. Lights can be top mounted, face mounted or even underslung.

In 4mm, If you can live with one that is available, Ratio, Dapol, Alan Gibson or Wizard, then it is a matter of altering to suit. Otherwise one of the really modern boxy type ones will demand a small degree of scratch building. For other scales, 7mm either Wizard, buy bespoke or DIY. in 2mm etc I think there is a choice of 3D printed ones or Wizard.

If needs must, there is nothing to stop you designing your own etched brass kit, apart of course from the necessary time and money.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The problem with somebody offering a product is always going to be what do they offer?  Every BR Region had its own design of gantry for colour light signals and while - overhead electrified lines version apart - there was some similarity between WR, LMR, and ScR gantries the others were distinctively different.  The same went for bracket structures although in that case a standard design for non-overhead electrified lines appeared in the 1980s and it appeared to be developed from an SR design which had appeared a few years previously - but it s only suitable for wider use for a comparatively recent period..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wish traintronics modern signal gantry was still available too. In the end I’ve had to go and make my own signal gantry which I’ve done as close as a real one based around Rugby. The only trouble I’ve been having is the signals themselves.

Already gone through two lots of traintech four aspect signal heads because of the wiring was a right pain in the backside!

This is how my gantry looks with the signals now working. 

D186F2B4-E1DD-43DD-B06E-203FD6983CC2.jpeg.228d1e2fd78c526e9e4e5ab054447676.jpegF7597825-29BC-4031-B2B5-BD50897D9AD0.jpeg.0e63b0a9298883f932badc73ff69b51f.jpegB958F935-1BFF-4DD0-BDB8-CB14BA4A3EB3.jpeg.37b183916829c2a7ec7b19f6036df032.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1