If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Spaghetti does grow on trees

NotMuch

The latest shiny new member here. Hello. Hoping to usefully join in and so offer this bit of background. No money for modelling in my youth and so, for a number of years from about 1960 spent every opportunity working on the Talyllyn Railway. Narrow gauge steam seeped into the veins. Much later I built the extensive O-16.5 Cwcw and Wychway Railway in a specially built large garden shed. The construction was serialised in that society's magazine. A 16mm scale garden railway followed (steam and all), ostensibly - ah-hem - to interest the grandchildren. Downsizing due to approaching old age, the shed railway was cleared but that left a hole in my life. I persuaded myself (and others) that a much smaller and simpler model would be OK, using part of the baseboards which still existed.

I fancied having a go at the whimsical GN15 Rowland Emett kits (Smallbrook Studios). I am sure they are excellent but, having looked at the ones I bought I decided that intricate kits were not for me these days. But I had already bought a lot of 0-16.5 NG track! What now? I decided to continue the whimsy using that track and go for nice 'n easy OO. I have created the beautiful Not Much Valley in which there are, amongst many other curiosities, the extensive spaghetti orchards. In 1957 the BBC's April Fool reported on the success of the spaghetti harvest in Switzerland. It can still be seen on YouTube. My Dad used to tease as many impressionable folk as possible with the spaghetti growing on trees story.

Anyway, as the build progresses and as "the project" needs extending, the narrow gauge has re-appeared in the form of a OO-9 line feeding into the OO with transhipment and so on. All good stuff but this unfamiliar scale required searches for information, hence leading me to this forum. That's my story. Hello.

• Like 4