Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold

A similar message at Bristol Temple Meads. It was not being observed by some in the first photo as some are sitting on the end ramp. In the second, the group of younger lads also look to be well beyond where it should have been, if the photo was at a wider angle. (P.S. -both these photos were on Flickr when I had an active membership there. So they should qualify for this thread.)

BTM spotters' notice LMSR 4-6-0 45658 Bristol c 1960.jpg

LNER cl B1 460 61050 arr Bristol TM 8 8 1964.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Those 16 tonners are starting to show signs of wear and tear. I seem to recall (it may have been in the MBT articles about them) that the maintenance interval was extended in the early '60s and that's when the rot, literally, started to set in. Photos of the 1/108 diagram in the 1950s show them to be still in a reasonable state although some of the early company and MOWT vehicles were already starting to show signs of a hard life.

David

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Those 16 tonners are starting to show signs of wear and tear. I seem to recall (it may have been in the MBT articles about them) that the maintenance interval was extended in the early '60s and that's when the rot, literally, started to set in. Photos of the 1/108 diagram in the 1950s show them to be still in a reasonable state although some of the early company and MOWT vehicles were already starting to show signs of a hard life.

David

I wonder if that was because they were beginning to look at future traffic projections and suddenly realised that they had way too many 16 Tonners?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/06/2021 at 23:47, phil_sutters said:

A similar message at Bristol Temple Meads. It was not being observed by some in the first photo as some are sitting on the end ramp. In the second, the group of younger lads also look to be well beyond where it should have been, if the photo was at a wider angle. (P.S. -both these photos were on Flickr when I had an active membership there. So they should qualify for this thread.)

BTM spotters' notice LMSR 4-6-0 45658 Bristol c 1960.jpg

LNER cl B1 460 61050 arr Bristol TM 8 8 1964.jpg

Great photos - but the presence of a Brush 4 in the photo of 45658 would surely place it in at least 1964 rather than circa 1960?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/06/2021 at 20:33, Andy Kirkham said:

51272536580_456c5a4a77_c.jpg51270759932_cde9dd75f4_c.jpgYeovil Pen Mill. 34052 departing with freight train. 9.7.67 by Roger Joanes, on FlickrYeovil Pen Mill. 34052 & freight for Westbury. 9.7.67 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

Probably the last day when steam worked on the Western Region. July 9th 1967.

I know the main subject of these excellent photos is 34052, but in the first photo, there is a class 121 parked in the bay at Yeovil Pen Mill, presumably on, or having been used on the shuttle service, and is in the rare (for this class of single unit) bsyp. Possibly the same one as seen in another thread, ex works at Weymouth shed earlier in 1967? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2021 at 23:39, MidlandRed said:

Great photos - but the presence of a Brush 4 in the photo of 45658 would surely place it in at least 1964 rather than circa 1960?

You may well be right. The photo was one among several envelopes of negatives, which Dad obviously hadn't thought worth the expense of having printed. The dates on the envelopes were for a year but clearly some negs had got in the wrong envelopes. I am not as clued up on dates as I could be. There were too many photos involved for me to get into research - hence the 'circa'. Thanks for adding to the information. If I need to use that photo again I can show a more accurate date. If I had the time I could track down the exact date from Dad's spotting logs.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/07/2021 at 18:55, montyburns56 said:

I never realised that they built a special viewing platform for this event. Did anyone get a seat on the stands?

They were alright - assuming you didn't get some a**e with his new-fangled video recorder complete with super extending microphone sitting in the row in front of you....

80-184.jpg.be49db06325789f82a201fe575016c09.jpg

He must have got some interesting recordings given the various suggestions that were made loudly as to where he should stick his microphone......

It only seems to feature in 5 of the 35 photos I took, so he must have got the message!

Had I realised how easy it was going to be to see the parade from "public" places, I'd have gone up and stayed at my Grandparents who only lived about 2 miles from the start point at Bold Colliery. As it was, I travelled up on a Stour Valley Railway direct train from Ipswich to Liverpool Lime St and the "grandstand" seats were included in the fare.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes. And it was extortionate ISTR.

Having a mate at school whose dad was pretty high up the local BR pecking order was advantageous. Managed to get to see them all at Bold Colliery. Some crews were more welcoming than others, but managed to get on the footplate of most of them

I think it was erected by the TA Royal Engineers as a training exercise.

Funniest thing was the Western with the key in the side!

Some numpties had complained saying they shouldn't have any diesels and electrics as they weren't "real" engines. So on the first day D1062 was running about with a big cardboard key stuck on the side. :laugh:

No key, but this is it.

Class 52, D1062 'Western Courier'

Photo from here where there is more.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3554091623

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1