Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

Always find photos like that quite sad, where a station that's clinging on to a minimal service used to be quite grand in its heyday.

Canopies unglazed, parts of the large station area derelict, lifted lines, weeds in platforms etc. The bigger they are, the sadder it seems.

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 7

I went there on an Eastern Rover ticket in July 1980 and took a wider view of the station, particularly as the train I was on used platform 3 . 

All four platforms still had track in them at that stage and the opening beyond the train is still there where those two lines continued further west to Bolton Abbey & Skipton.

80-303r.jpg.bf36bd2ab3e90aab43838a52e928c22a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The north end of Durham station in 1964. A big signalbox, lattice post gantries and you can have steam locos and green diesels so there's something for everyone. Sadly the site of the former engine shed seems to have been cleared.

045 D2xx Durham North 08-03-64  (John Boyes)  045

Edited by Pinza-C55
  • Like 13

The Spurn Point Military Railway ran from Kilnsea to the Spurn Point lighthouse in East Yorkshire from 1915 to 1951. It used a ramshackle assortment of rolling stock including a petrol railcar (partly seen here) and a trolley with a sail mounted on it !

3948982308_930845639d_c.jpgWeighing a parcel at Spurn Head Railway by moving.images2, on Flickr

Some tracks are still intact where the line crossed roads.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Pinza-C55 said:

The Spurn Point Military Railway ran from Kilnsea to the Spurn Point lighthouse in East Yorkshire from 1915 to 1951. It used a ramshackle assortment of rolling stock including a petrol railcar (partly seen here) and a trolley with a sail mounted on it !

3948982308_930845639d_c.jpgWeighing a parcel at Spurn Head Railway by moving.images2, on Flickr

Some tracks are still intact where the line crossed roads.

Abandoned rails in the road! Lovely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, 33C said:

Abandoned rails in the road! Lovely.

Apparently it was laid wholly or partly with second hand GCR track so it would be interesting to know if it has GCR chairs under there.

Another from Flickr

Spurn Railway info

Edited by Pinza-C55
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 minutes ago, Pinza-C55 said:

Apparently it was laid wholly or partly with second hand GCR track so it would be interesting to know if it has GCR chairs under there.

Another from Flickr

Spurn Railway info

I'm wondering if it's possible to make the wind powered trolley....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago "Not Jeremy" remarked that one of my photos was rather similar to a published one by Hugh Dady.

Now while working in a charity bookshoop I came across the book in question - Diesels on the Western Region.

Here's mine, which with the help of Mark Alden was pinned down to week ending August 29th 1970

SEP 70 06. D867 Zenith at Penzance with the 12:25 to Paddington, Week ending August 29th, 1970

And here's Hugh's dated exactly August 29th 1970

Snap!

Detail similarities include the degree to which the window of the leading coach is open and the way in which the trailing grille is tilted open. The obvious difference is the position of the loco relative to the station nameboard, but it could be that Hugh's picture was taken with the loco stationary (I can't see any crew inside) whereas mine might have been taken just after it had started.

Are both photographs taken on the same occasion?

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

whereas mine might have been taken just after it had started.

In your photo the driver's side window has been opened a bit more, and it looks like his head looking out and back, as he might when drawing away. Also some exhaust smoke visible. Looks as though your surmise is right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Has anyone ever modelled this train?

97201+97403 Sutton Colliery Junction 1986 by Dave Peachey

19860325.SuttonCollieryJunction.97201+97403.LR.ver2.3_filtered19860325.Woodend.97403+97201.LR.ver2_filtered19860325.Woodend.975076.LR.ver2_filtered

19860325.Dep.TibshelfSidings.97201+97403.LR.ver2_filtered

19860325.Westhouses.975076+97403+97201.LR.ver2_filtered

@Waverley Westhas done the cl.24 with the 'Trib Train' but I don't think he has done 'Ixion'

• Informative/Useful 1

Teignmouth Station

Maybe it's my fading memory, but I don't remember the station being so colourful in the 1960s.  Or have they restored an original GWR colour scheme?

Platform 2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127014210@N07/30741885235/in/pool-teignmouthandshaldononly

Edited by KeithMacdonald
typo
  • Like 4

Milk Traffic from Chard Junction  

The first few photos on the CRS page show nice shiny-new milk tank wagons

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/chard-juntion.html

during the summer of 1981 Chard Junction Creamery was host to freight movements unseen for several years, as two rakes of milk tanks, refurbished through some sort of EEC funding, carried surplus milk from the Milk Marketing Board creamery, to a similar plant at Stowmarket in Suffolk.

Thanks to Paul Bartlett for his pics of that type of rebuilt milk tanks. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mmbmilk

But that was after a special rebuild, clean-up and a repaint in MMB livery . This is what they looked like (some time earlier) ... and a bit muckier...

Chard Junction Creamery

• Like 7