Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Did everyone go to Steamtown when they were a kid (or adult)?

Steamtown Carnforth 1984 by Martyn Hilbert

L&Y Aspinall 0-6-0 1300 - Steamtown Carnforth

This is another one of the photographs where the original subject of the photograph isn't as interesting model as what is going on in the background.  Look at that carpark and the train of 16t minerals!  All this will have gone but the ancient L and Y 0-6-0 happily survives 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Bodmin Parkway, with the main line looking like disused track, and some weathering of the footbridge roof.

Bodmin Parkway station

Here's the same footbridge from the other side.

4612 at Bodmin Parkway Station

At one time there was a really good crop of tomato plants there in the four foot on the Down Main although I doubt they ever produced any tomatoes (and if they did I'm sure they wouldn't have been very palatable).

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

At one time there was a really good crop of tomato plants there in the four foot on the Down Main although I doubt they ever produced any tomatoes (and if they did I'm sure they wouldn't have been very palatable).

With their human laid seeds and human produced fertiliser! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The London end of the four-foot of the old platform 2 (now platform 1) at Peterborough also had tomato plants growing in it and they did have tomatoes on them. I only saw them with green tomatoes on, don't know if they ever ripened and got picked though. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, iands said:

The London end of the four-foot of the old platform 2 (now platform 1) at Peterborough also had tomato plants growing in it and they did have tomatoes on them. I only saw them with green tomatoes on, don't know if they ever ripened and got picked though. 

Many years ago I was working on a construction site that had formerly been part of a sewage farm.

Tomato plants were eveywhere - and loaded with tomatoes. I can personally confirm that tomatoes that have been grown in such circumstances are delicious!

The adjacent field was used for grazing horses, and mushrooms were plentiful.

More than one pack of bacon was consumed with these foraged items!

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

No doubt that the former sewage farm provided a good growing medium for the tomatoes. Not sure the heavily contaminated diesel/oil/grease of the four-foot would have produced 'tasty' tomatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iands said:

No doubt that the former sewage farm provided a good growing medium for the tomatoes. Not sure the heavily contaminated diesel/oil/grease of the four-foot would have produced 'tasty' tomatoes. 

I think diesel flavour sounds like an absolute delicacy to the origin of the plants themselves! 

• Funny 2

20 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I must say, much though I love the nostalgia of that era, it looks dog rough compared to now. 

It was dog rough; it was never properly repaired after the attentions of Luftwaffe Demolitions Ltd in World War II. But prior to that . . . 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It took a good thirty years after the game was finally up in the 1960s to clear away the leftover junk from the Great Victorian Railway Era, and TBH the railways had been carrying an un-resolved junk burden since about 1910. The late 60s and early 70s were the pits really, and that applied not only to railways but to just about every industry founded in the first half of C19th.

I went up to Manchester to look at the Bury electrification in 1986-87, a sort of fraternal visit between electrification departments, and to say that it was in a neglected state would be an under, under, understatement!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There were actually two RK on that train (special case though)

The number of trains that would have an RK dwindled from the early '70s as the demand for hot meal provision declined - they were designed to provide up to 150 covers, making them uneconomic except for some trains aimed at the 'Business' market.

These, on the WCML, would be timed to arrive/leave London to suit and with large 1st class provision. They would be aiming to provide breakfasts into London and dinner out in the evening.

Even this became a rarity, as most services could be provided using RKB (most meals + buffet counter) or RF/RU (meals only) or RB/RB(K) (less meals + buffet counter).

• Informative/Useful 2

The trains with them had a first class coach usable by second class passengers as the dining carriage, so for the price of a meal eaten slowly one got an upgrade in comfort level too. There was still hot meal service like this on some Wolverhampton trains into the late 70s and I recall having a full cooked lunch one day as the sole customer, but that might have been an RF, rather than a kitchen car and separate dining car.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ah, Comrade Kestrel, welcome!

You are now boarding USSR territorial vessel. For your own protection, you will be blindfolded during your voyage to your glorious future in the Soviet Motherland.

HS4000 Kestrel at Cardiff Docks 1971 by John Wiltshire

Loco was exported to Russia from Cardiff Docks

HS4000 Kestrel at Cardiff Docks 1971 by John Wiltshire

• Like 9
  • Funny 2