Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Sometimes these pictures make you realise that the 1970s were closer in spirit, as well as in time, to the 1950s than to the 2020s.

Luggage on very basic roof-racks, on top of cars that look tiny beside modern ones, lacking in most modern safety features, requiring oodles of frequent maintenance/tinkering. And that just cars.

The Railway was definitely more interesting, and very tatty, loads more leftover Victorian junk than now. People were different too, weren’t they? Less tall, less fat, more fags and booze, station staff decidedly grubby and tatty.

And I loved it! (Parked my 24 year old Rover 400 next to a brand new Fiat 500. The Fiat was as long and towered over it?!)

• Like 1

I frequently look at the fascinating pictures in this thread and think how much a different world it all looks, then find it mildly strange to realise that it is very firmly during my lifetime. Sign of approaching seniority, I guess.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Sometimes these pictures make you realise that the 1970s were closer in spirit, as well as in time, to the 1950s than to the 2020s.

Luggage on very basic roof-racks, on top of cars that look tiny beside modern ones, lacking in most modern safety features, requiring oodles of frequent maintenance/tinkering. And that just cars.

The Railway was definitely more interesting, and very tatty, loads more leftover Victorian junk than now. People were different too, weren’t they? Less tall, less fat, more fags and booze, station staff decidedly grubby and tatty.

I suppose every past era ends up being given the rose-tinted treatment to a degree, but I don't disagree with anything you've said, Nearholmer.

10 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

It made me think, the MK 1 Cortina would have been at least 7 years old at best however the HST albeit not the Prototype is still going strong in some form all these years afterwards, I bet the Cortina was scrapped years ago  

If we could see the reg plate, could easily find out!

• RMweb Premium

Having looked back at the pics again, extra interesting for the fact that they show the Mk1 RKB used until the TRUK was ready and the formation is a bit 'fluid' esp. regarding the TRSB buffet car.

Presumably just test runs at this stage so exact formation not so important.

Great pics anyway, thanks again for linking to them.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Slowly working my way through the Ian Addison Collection linked to. ScR in 1973/4 transition heaven - old & TOPS numbers, green & blue locos, headcodes in use etc etc!

This is v. interesting to me as i had no idea that there were green TOPS no. Cl.47/4 conversions - always assumed they went blue when converted

51852889786_5a04f0407a_b.jpg47526 Edinburgh Waverley by Ian Addison Collection, on Flickr

• Like 12

2 hours ago, keefer said:

Having looked back at the pics again, extra interesting for the fact that they show the Mk1 RKB used until the TRUK was ready and the formation is a bit 'fluid' esp. regarding the TRSB buffet car.

Presumably just test runs at this stage so exact formation not so important.

Great pics anyway, thanks again for linking to them.

The formations seemed to be very fluid until the set settled down to working a 100mph GWML diagram for a period, even then - not uncommon for 3 TFs to be in the set making up a 2+8.

2 hours ago, keefer said:

Slowly working my way through the Ian Addison Collection linked to. ScR in 1973/4 transition heaven - old & TOPS numbers, green & blue locos, headcodes in use etc etc!

This is v. interesting to me as i had no idea that there were green TOPS no. Cl.47/4 conversions - always assumed they went blue when converted

51852889786_5a04f0407a_b.jpg47526 Edinburgh Waverley by Ian Addison Collection, on Flickr

There were a few, I've seen one of another Green 47/4 in Railway Magazine on the Aberdonian.

Let me get back to you with the number...

• Thanks 1

When I said 47/4, I should really have specified ETH conversions given the Generators had ETH from the beginning.

I was a bit wrong with the service, not the up Aberdonian, the other (unnamed) Aberdeen-King's Cross: 

428829325_Screenshot_20220708-103745_SamsungInternet.jpg.7244111c3fae9ee97050b05edbcf1dff.jpg

1110 (later 47527) on 1E17 the 1035 Aberdeen-King's Cross in April 1972.

(C. J. M Lofthus)

The ETH jumper connection can be seen on the buffer beam above the left-hand buffer.

Edited by hexagon789
Adding more info
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

You could make some comments about the Moggy 1000 traveller in the middle of the picture, too

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2022 at 12:30, Nearholmer said:

Pendantry alerts would apply to women wearing far too many necklaces and ear-rings, I think.

Oi! Not only women…

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That might be as few as two or three years old, produced 1953-1971, so definitely illustrates my “more like the 1950s” point. 

I'm no expert on numberplates, but 357 HKE dates it to pre-1962 ish I think?

In which case, it's a late 948/early 1098cc.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

The Pathetic Train Robbery

Achnasheen 1979 by Brian Flannigan

Achnasheen79-1a

I've only one thing to say,...."Beclawat!". Ah, memories. 

• Like 1

Just now, montyburns56 said:

Want to model a quaint Scottish branch line with diesel hauled 1/2 coach trains? Try the Aberfeldy line.

D5122 Aberfeldy

Type 2 at Aberfeldy

D5337 Aberfeldy station July 20th 1962Type 2 at GrandtullyAberfeldy Railway stationAberfeldyJMB T19 29 Aberfeldy Station 1071965

Did I mention that it also had mixed trains?

D5321_Aberfeldy

Super power! 

I understand the branch limit was only 25mph as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

There's also a fantastic picture on the Railscot site of an ex-LMS suburban brake coach??? being loaded with parcels at the station in 1965.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/79/617/

Looking at the toplights above the guards head in the brake end isn't it a Thompson or Gresley? (See photo 2 in the stream just above....same coach, Gresley bogies? Hard to tell with the fence in that photo)

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, balders said:

Looking at the toplights above the guards head in the brake end isn't it a Thompson or Gresley? (See photo 2 in the stream just above....same coach, Gresley bogies? Hard to tell with the fence in that photo)

Regards

Guy

The rainstrip on the the roof is a giveaway for ex - LNER as well

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1