Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

1 minute ago, Cowley 47521 said:

What purposeful looking beast. I’m sure it always gets it’s train to the destination on time…

Great photo.

No sign of any exhaust.  Is it actually moving? (Alisdair)

23 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That paper is available on-line, but you have to pay for it, and I’m not that curious!

I also found the link, but I wasn't that curios either.

If the generator is axle driven the upper limit of the available energy must be set by the wheel loading and the friction between the wheel and the track. So the energy/heat to be dissipated must be in the same order as that from normal braking, but sustained rather than intermittent.

It’s easiest to think of each MTU as rather like a loco, but providing braking, rather than tractive, forces, here’s what Andrew’s says about the rating of the pair:

“…….. called for an absorption of 51,500 lb. tractive effort between 10 and 22 m.p.h., and of 3,000 continuoushorsepower between 22 and 120m.p.h.”

And, yes, in the same way that locomotive tractive and braking forces have to pass through the wheel-rail interface, so the forces applied by these animals had to do the same, but they weren’t spectacularly high forces in comparison with what had been achieved with electric traction well before that date, and which were by then becoming ordinary with diesel-electric traction.

On 27/07/2022 at 18:49, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know when these went full custard?

43001 1979 Derby by John Wooley

43001_1979_08_Derby

I'm going to say late 77 early 78 for the full yellow end dip. Both PC’s were certainly running is as built livery during the early days of RTC/APT testing.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

instruction saloon DS70155 Hither Green 1970 by Gordon Edgar

It looks very different in blue https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srdepartmentalcoach/e1034b3

Apparently it still exists but it has been through some very rough times in the hands of the conservation movement. http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=521

https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/70155

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

On 16/03/2022 at 13:18, Steven B said:

May I present to you: The Future (Dudley Zoo, 1992):

51878171574_874ae8108d_n.jpg

15in gauge 4-car DEMU at Dudley Zoo. 1992. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

Steven B.

Cheers for posting that!  I've a picture somewhere of me and my sisters sat inside that railcar, on what must have been the last season of operation.  I went back to Dudley last year and spent an afternoon trying to trace the route of the Dudley Zoo railway; the bit inside the Zoo is out of bounds (and the staff I spoke to had zero interest in the railway, with a quote to the effect of "there's no way we're re-opening it").  There's a fair bit of the trackbed in the woods though beyond the boundary fence, and even still some sleepers and cable-runs if you know where to look.  I've got a rusted fishplate from it in my garden :)

I gather that railcar survives, or at least it did until fairly recently, though in bad nick.  I did consider doing a model of it for my Port Eden miniature railway project last year, but ran out of time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

This is from a guy in the USA called “Jay” who I follow, I thought @t-b-g might be interested?!

Buckingham Branch #14

It does link to a very interesting album of photos showing short line railroading, American style.

Cheers,

John 

I like that one! Shame it isn't Brunswick Green but that would be asking rather a lot!

I may send a link to the Denny family. I am sure they will enjoy it too.

Thanks for posting it.

Tony

• Thanks 1