Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

These pictures are brilliantly composed and lit, coming across like oil-paintings rather than photos, but I’m afraid the posing is pretty obvious. Can’t put my finger on why, but it is, and they don’t look realistic.

I agree, but can we call it artistic license? 
The creator does openly say they are posed at Didcot Railway Centre, Bridgenorth, Barrow Hill Roundhouse, and a few other places.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I've personally witnessed the making of a Bollywood film on Horsted Keynes station, with actors in period costume.

Realistic? No.
Creative and entertaining? Yes

My children thought it was wonderful, especially as everytime they stuck their heads out of our carriage window, somebody would shout "CUT!!!" and the filmcrew and actors would do it all again. My wife and I were out of sight, quietly laughing, but spoilt our children's fun after the third take.

• Like 2

Artistic license (continued)

Eh up, Doris.

Wassup, Stan?

It says 'ere in t'paper that British Rail is going to use diesel and electric locomotives and getting rid of t'coal-fired.

Eeee! Imagine that! No more shovelling dirty mucky stuff.

Na lass, it's one of them new-fangled ideas that'll never work proper.

Aye, s'pose so (she sighs wistfully and stares into the distance)

... oh well ... d'ye fancy some nice pieces of haddock and six pennorth of chips on the way home?

Aye lass, that'll be grand. That's something we'll aways be able to depend on.

NIGHT SHIFT TEA BREAK

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I agree, but can we call it artistic license? 
The creator does openly say they are posed at Didcot Railway Centre, Bridgenorth, Barrow Hill Roundhouse, and a few other places.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I've personally witnessed the making of a Bollywood film on Horsted Keynes station, with actors in period costume.

Realistic? No.
Creative and entertaining? Yes

My children thought it was wonderful, especially as everytime they stuck their heads out of our carriage window, somebody would shout "CUT!!!" and the filmcrew and actors would do it all again. My wife and I were out of sight, quietly laughing, but spoilt our children's fun after the third take.

They are great photos. For those of us that love steam but just missed out on it they provide something of a snapshot even if it is all a bit too clean and staged.

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

XP64 stock at Newport 1965 by Ray Viney

Newport Station, XP64 experimental stock, 29 May 1965

Nice view of a rake of' 'Plate' wagons in the foreground. As far as I remember, there were no sources of 'plate' in South Wales, but Plate wagons were used to bring in Pig Iron from Scunthorpe to places such as the then Llanelly Steel Company (later Duport) works to  supplement their scrap intake.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 2251 said:

Norton Jct. 23 April 1957.

Norton Jct.

A cracking photo of interesting operations at Norton Junction … although I am afraid the Flickr caption is somewhat geographically challenged! Here’s my understanding of what’s occurring…

2870 is on a down OWW freight . It has drawn forwards past the signal box and crossover and has then been shunted back over on to the up OWW to clear the down road for subsequent moves.

7026 is on train 825 which I reckon is the down Cornishman… had started from Wolverhampton, would normally run through Cheltenham via Toddington but due to maintenance on that route diverted via Honeybourne Evesham and Abbotswood. To make that move a reversal is required … and I reckon that’s what is happening here. 

If I am correct 7026 will draw its train forwards on the down OWW line past the box and clear of the cross over and then halt. 6947 will then reverse back over the junction on to the up OWW line and over the cross over on to the down OWW and will couple up to the rear of The Cornishman. On getting the road she will then draw the train forwards back on to the up OWW line and then fork right at the Junction back through where she is now standing to go round to Abbotswood and down to Cheltenham.

7026 will then proceed to Worcester shed to be followed by 2870 crossing back over to the down OWW line to follow 7026 to Worcester.

Proper railway operations! 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have been pondering this further.

Given the amount of time it must have taken 2870 and its train to set back it would surely have been quicker (as well as simpler) to have signalled it forward to Wyld's Lane, where it could if necessary have been turned on to the goods lines. 

I wonder if the explanation is that 2870 and its train have also been diverted off the Honeybourne route and it, too, is due a reversal?

7 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

A cracking photo of interesting operations at Norton Junction … although I am afraid the Flickr caption is somewhat geographically challenged! Here’s my understanding of what’s occurring…

2870 is on a down OWW freight . It has drawn forwards past the signal box and crossover and has then been shunted back over on to the up OWW to clear the down road for subsequent moves.

7026 is on train 825 which I reckon is the down Cornishman… had started from Wolverhampton, would normally run through Cheltenham via Toddington but due to maintenance on that route diverted via Honeybourne Evesham and Abbotswood. To make that move a reversal is required … and I reckon that’s what is happening here. 

If I am correct 7026 will draw its train forwards on the down OWW line past the box and clear of the cross over and then halt. 6947 will then reverse back over the junction on to the up OWW line and over the cross over on to the down OWW and will couple up to the rear of The Cornishman. On getting the road she will then draw the train forwards back on to the up OWW line and then fork right at the Junction back through where she is now standing to go round to Abbotswood and down to Cheltenham.

7026 will then proceed to Worcester shed to be followed by 2870 crossing back over to the down OWW line to follow 7026 to Worcester.

Proper railway operations! 

Note also that there is someone hanging out the front passenger vehicle so it is assumed the train is stopped.  And what is the signal to the right of the middle telegraph pole required for?  It is set at danger and too close to be a distant surely?  And I cannot see a siding or loop it is protecting.  (Alisdair)  

24 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Note also that there is someone hanging out the front passenger vehicle so it is assumed the train is stopped.  And what is the signal to the right of the middle telegraph pole required for?  It is set at danger and too close to be a distant surely?  And I cannot see a siding or loop it is protecting.  (Alisdair)  

The SRS does not have a diagram available for Norton Jct, but I rather take that to be the down main home (the signal closer to the junction being the inner home).

• Thanks 1

They are standard gauge simplexes, not *re-gauged but built like that.

Like all things, they have their own thread on RMWeb 

*I think some WDLR 40hp ones were recycled as SG, but more a case of recovering and reusing parts than re-gauging.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

What are these strange beasts? The ones nearest look like army Simplex locos from WWI trench railways, but presumably regauged to standard gauge. 

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

They are standard gauge simplexes, not *re-gauged but built like that.

Worthington's Planets Nos 7-10 were built by Kent Construction Co Ltd 1924-26 and 11&12 were later F.C Hibberd built 1929/34.  All were with Worthington from new until the end of the use of the railway network in Burton.  The photo is taken adjacent to the Bass sheds off Guild Street where the Planets were gathered before sending for scrap at Loom's at Spondon. 

Survivors 10 and 11 (renumbered 20 and 21 in 1960 when the Worthington fleet was numbered in with Bass) were the only two near identical, the others all being different in varying details.

Industrial Railway Record 164 has an article 'The Origin of Species' by A.R Etherington that tries to make sense out some of the entwined Motor Rail/Kent Construction/Hibberd history.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2022 at 17:56, 2251 said:

I have been pondering this further.

Given the amount of time it must have taken 2870 and its train to set back it would surely have been quicker (as well as simpler) to have signalled it forward to Wyld's Lane, where it could if necessary have been turned on to the goods lines. 

I wonder if the explanation is that 2870 and its train have also been diverted off the Honeybourne route and it, too, is due a reversal?

Forgive my rough sketch but it may make things clearer. I suspect the outer of the two home signals protected the cross over to the goods siding…. and the inner the junction. Have only just found pictures of the siding in the latest Michael Clemens book … highly recommended…. But the Connection from the down line had been removed by then so can’t be sure. 

BCF11CAD-638C-44ED-A81C-205A658D7F6B.jpeg

As for sending 2870 forwards to Wylds Lane it probably depends on what else was in the way I guess…. With the GW line closed south of Honeybourne there was probably some interesting traffic regulation going on. This wasn’t the only occasion the Cornishman was reversed at Norton , have seen other photos on different dates elsewhere.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 2