Going for the Record?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I can imagine it piling into the station, flanges squealing, just stopping in time and the driver lobbing the keys to his/her boss and walking straight into the nearest pub...

Especially if they didn't have time to go before they left.

• Funny 4

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Stewards enquiry - waiting for results of photo finish

20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Especially if they didn't have time to go before they left.

Won Lost by a turtle's head.

Sorry. :blush:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Before you leave the train please remember to check for all personal belongings. Also please remove any discarded Sausage Oatcakes, black pudding, pies and brown Kendal Mint Cake. Stocks of Bru are available in the station. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

7 minutes ago, Patriot87003 said:

News from Twitter is that it missed the record by 21 seconds :(

Next week’s attempt likely to have a few less passengers (and fittings) aboard! ;)

Perhaps we can console ourselves with the thought that every good record attempt needs a practice run?

How many fittings could they remove? Seats? Doors?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The schedule obviously works and from observation during the run on the various maps and Realtime Trains, the train was driven precisely to the schedule.  I wonder if any tweaks are possible to the schedule to gain those precious seconds.  I'm sure WCML and Pendolino drivers' will have some ideas.

And nothing was allowed to get in its way today, so a big thumbs up the signallers along the entire route.

Are there any speed restrictions, temporary or otherwise, that Network Rail can ease over the next 7 days I wonder?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

So in 37 years we've not actually got any quicker...

I think you know we have.

The APT did it on a run with special clearances. The railway was less busy & the speed difference between the publicity run & the fastest scheduled service was a lot greater then than it is today.

It is like when the HSTs were introduced, some were saying "We've not moved on because Mallard went that quickly back in 1938".

While it did manage that speed, it only did so once & it failed during the effort. HSTs run at 125 in everyday service & cut journey times for customers, not the record books.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

28 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I think you know we have.

The APT did it on a run with special clearances. The railway was less busy & the speed difference between the publicity run & the fastest scheduled service was a lot greater then than it is today.

It is like when the HSTs were introduced, some were saying "We've not moved on because Mallard went that quickly back in 1938".

While it did manage that speed, it only did so once & it failed during the effort. HSTs run at 125 in everyday service & cut journey times for customers, not the record books.

The analogy with Mallard is perhaps the wrong one for ECML. In 1989 and 1990 I regularly travelled on a train from KX, first stop Grantham, and it normally did it in one hour dead or less. While Azumas definably gets out the blocks faster, station to station times are normally slower. Similarly the four morning peak GNER Leeds to London trains (06:40 to 07:40) took a maximum of 02:09 with two under 2 hours. Three of these are much slower on LNER and the fastest train pre COVID train is 5min slower.

The fastest ECML KX to Waverley run is 3:29 26th September 1991

Edited by Bomag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Does anyone know what the record time is from Kings X to Edinburgh & what achieved it?

3 hours 29 minutes and 30 seconds set on 26 September 1991 by 91031, as it was then, hauling five Mk4s and a DVT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1