Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

My APT better turn up on Thursday or else I will be very cross indeed!

According to my local model shop.

Don't expect a large package next Thursday.

• Funny 1

Keeping things moderately serious, don't you think suppliers / 'manufacturers' could clarify which models were on the Ever Given, which only now is making its way to Blighty?

I get the impression quite a lot might be affected here ... could be totally wrong of course.

Al.

I'm curious.

I have ordered the forthcoming Hornby one, as I've wanted a blue 56 for some time, but old ones still go for ridiculous money.

I have an EWS super detail Hornby one, which despite some minor niggles has to be one of the smoothest running, and more powerful locomotives on 'the fleet' - absolutely superb runner.

In answer to APT Fan's question, my plan is to keep the Hornby order and continue with a blue Cavalex - to compare.

I do expect 'assumed Hornby production limitations' have been thrown out of the window wrt detailing, but I'm curious to see how the 2 compare running-wise - I don't think there's a locomotive I have which is obviously better-running than the Hornby EWS one I have.

Al.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 15:12, APT Fan said:

A question to the forum. I assume that a few on here have placed orders for the forthcoming release of the Hornby version of the 56. Are you going to cancel in lieu of one of these or go for both of them?

I have kept my Hornby Class 56 pre-order

The real locos were manufactured by different factories. So for me having two Class 56s from different manufacturers seems to be "prototypical". Would be nice to compare the two.

I'm not a DCC person, so the better DCC features of the Cavalex one aren't really a benefit to me.  I'm just after something that looks right and runs well.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
EDITED: To clarify what I meant.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

given thge current situation with factories, labour, containers, shipping, imports ... your guess is as good as the next persons.  That's why manufacturers/retailers are unwilling to commit to a specific timescale. There are so many variable in the supply chain at the moment, whatever timescale they say will be wrong (either too long or not long enough).  If Cavalex said they'd be available in xx months and they didn't materialise or had to be postponed umpteen times, then customers would be dissappointed/frustrated/angery/out of pocket.  So better to avoid promising an unrealsistic target (and no one knows what a realistic target is at the moment, incl. Cavalex).

So could be anything from humphteen months to trimble years :good:

I was talking to a friend of mine who I’ve not seen in ages and as he works in the shipping department of a big manufacturing company, and he told me that they are pulling their hair out because certain critical components (which are made in China) are running at least a year, possibly 18 months behind because of covid, Chinese New Year, production slots and a shortage of containers.

As they work on a “just in time principal”, it’s not only putting his company in a difficult position, but those suppliers who supply them and in turn, the components they sell to their buyers.  So when you moan that your favourite engine is delayed by a few months, look at the bigger picture and you’ll see that the whole world is playing catch up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2021 at 23:12, jools1959 said:

As they work on a “just in time principal”, it’s not only putting his company in a difficult position, but those suppliers who supply them and in turn, the components they sell to their buyers.  So when you moan that your favourite engine is delayed by a few months, look at the bigger picture and you’ll see that the whole world is playing catch up.

Classic bubble..

When demand for the exotic fades, because no one can buy the exotic for that long, theyve forgotten what exotic was, then suddenly you find you no longer need it… and demand dissapears, as does the money for it.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2021 at 15:04, MGR Hooper! said:

Nope... Two is better than one. The real locos were manufactured by different factories. So having two different models will more realistic :locomotive:

Cavalex are tooling the variations for the different builders (and I'd argue that they already look better than Hornby's offering) so I'm not sure that having models from different manufacturers is going to reflect the different builders!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 17/07/2021 at 23:12, jools1959 said:

So when you moan that your favourite engine is delayed by a few months, look at the bigger picture and you’ll see that the whole world is playing catch up.

Remember the days when a model was announced and it was four years before you got one and all the mistakes on it because there was no feedback on design or a preproduction shown before one was shown to the Earls Court Toy Fair for trade only!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

And just when they are on the way you might get some rogue captain H****y employee drive the container ship onto a sand bank..........

Duly amended.

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Strangely seeing more 'Hornby unicorns' appearing on Ebay nowadays .... just coincidence?

Al.

My Colas one appeared and sold a week ago. Not that it will necessarily be replaced by one of these, I just thought it's only going to lose value from now on whereas before this announcement it was going up if anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Cavalex DCR Class 56 - we are pleased to announce DCR 56091 “Driver Wayne Gaskell” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range.

We are really excited to be able to offer modellers and enthusiasts with an interest in today’s freight scene a model of 56091 in DC Rail livery. Our thanks to DC Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

DCR.png.0ccde5f4688f08037f5164c067de655c.png

Features of Cavalex DCR 56091:

- Distinctive fabricated cab shape

- Cutaway buffer beam

- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille

- Steel cab and cab side window frames

- Additional air conditioning vent on the second man’s side

- Etched “Driver Wayne Gaskell” name plates

Project-56---Web-Template-56091-(s).png.1f1e270fdec6b4823e1dc600f20ebcab.png

CM - 56091 – DCR

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex DCR Class 56 - we are pleased to announce DCR 56091 “Driver Wayne Gaskell” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range.

We are really excited to be able to offer modellers and enthusiasts with an interest in today’s freight scene a model of 56091 in DC Rail livery. Our thanks to DC Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

DCR.png.0ccde5f4688f08037f5164c067de655c.png

Features of Cavalex DCR 56091:

- Distinctive fabricated cab shape

- Cutaway buffer beam

- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille

- Steel cab and cab side window frames

- Additional air conditioning vent on the second man’s side

- Etched “Driver Wayne Gaskell” name plates

Project-56---Web-Template-56091-(s).png.1f1e270fdec6b4823e1dc600f20ebcab.png

CM - 56091 – DCR

Hi Cav/Alex,

Another fabulous addition to the first batch of 56’s, certainly something for everyone covering the lifespan of the locos. 

With this having worked up to Carlisle several times both on freight and driver route learning runs, it’s one I’m about to order.

You can place your orders at Rainbow Railways for this latest announcement and all the other options. We are taking a £30 deposit to secure your order but if for any reason between now and release you change your mind there is no problem having this refunded to you.

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/cavalex-models-cm-56091-dcr-class-56-56091-in-dc-rail-livery-oo-gauge/

Thanks 

Mark

Pleased to see you have reacted to what people have said about present day being absent from your releases (IF the DC and Colas ones weren't planned anyway but not announced at the start). I'm flirting with the Colas one, also with the DC one so I'll probably have at least one now, possibly both once I know the price.

• Like 3