Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

On 30/12/2021 at 10:33, pheaton said:

Hopefully....

Better DCC interface......but TBF people say the 8 pin is outdated which is correct...but the Hornby model doesn't need any more than an 8 pin....it doesn't have cab lights...so for the application an 8 pin decoder suffices perfectly well... you might want independent control of the markers and headlights i suppose...but they never (well shouldn't have) ran in service with one of them not illuminated..

Better lighting connectivity 

Something that can actually haul a train without having to resort to modifying the couplings...

A slightly better livery schedule...

cabs aside...which for me yeah ok they could have done with a slightly better setup on the horn grills for me there isn’t t really a lot wrong with the Hornby model....it boils down to me if cavalex release a livery that Hornby nby haven’t  then ill buy one....but im not going to rush to replace my fleet of Hornby SD ones in favour of the cavalex one...

Not wishing to tell you how to suck eggs but independent switching of head light and markers is more useful than you think...list not exhaustive...

¤ in yard / stabling area or sidings shunting or standing in loop line

¤ flashing head light (manual switching on real loco)  danger stop/hazard!

¤ Pre the introduction of previous rule book instructions in early 90s we use to flash to other drivers how many full trains where stacked up in fiddlers ferry power station when you had escaped with the empty mgrs back to Liverpool, if some one flashed 4 times you knew you were in for a long unloading wait! Feet up brew on raidio on.....or I got bloody good at tetris on game boy!

¤ Or driver for got to switch it on upon leaving loop or sidings...been there done that 

As a side issue class 60s head light is only powered on with direction selector in forward or reverse....light switch (was a rotary one giving options.. off .... markers only ....day or night) would be unique if some one modeled that!

Edited by bradfordbuffer
Typo
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

As a side issue class 60s head light is only powered on with direction selector in forward or reverse....light switch (was a rotary one giving options.. off .... markers only ....day or night) would be unique if some one modeled that!

been called by the signaller many times while sat in various loops telling me a passing train had reported my headlight out! 

60002 is/was an exception to the rule when colas had it in that the headlight works in neutral too, not had it at GB so don’t know if it’s still the same 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

been called by the signaller many times while sat in various loops telling me a passing train had reported my headlight out! 

60002 is/was an exception to the rule when colas had it in that the headlight works in neutral too, not had it at GB so don’t know if it’s still the same 

You where sat in loop with headlight off as a curtesy to oncoming drivers....some drivers not using common sense ...(prob boil in bag drivers....ohhhh que the rage comming my way!)....bad enough with first generation head lights not the ultra bright night vision killing lights now becoming standard

Good news thay attempted a fix for marker/headlight on 60s...seen one or two near speedy couplings up...(collisions) as the markers on 60s where not the brightest and with only one lit ie opposite of head light if driver had not switched to markers only in yard could be in position of not having any lights on the front even if he thought it was on if the wrong bulb had failed! Real yards not as well lit as some model railway layouts!

Good to see thay rolled the mod to all remains 60s!!

Just to think ran round country on a 31 with 4 x 25w bulbs in head code box....if all 4 where working...but pre 1995 front illumination was for others to see you not the other way round, then came the retro reflection TSRs and PSRs then became standard..

Foggy night two 25watt bulbs no aws or tpws stick signals the boil in bag boys would wet them self....

On 30/12/2021 at 10:33, pheaton said:

Hopefully....

Better DCC interface......but TBF people say the 8 pin is outdated which is correct...but the Hornby model doesn't need any more than an 8 pin....it doesn't have cab lights...so for the application an 8 pin decoder suffices perfectly well... you might want independent control of the markers and headlights i suppose...but they never (well shouldn't have) ran in service with one of them not illuminated..

Better lighting connectivity 

Something that can actually haul a train without having to resort to modifying the couplings...

A slightly better livery schedule...

cabs aside...which for me yeah ok they could have done with a slightly better setup on the horn grills for me there isn’t t really a lot wrong with the Hornby model....it boils down to me if cavalex release a livery that Hornby nby haven’t  then ill buy one....but im not going to rush to replace my fleet of Hornby SD ones in favour of the cavalex one...

In contrast to your comment and with all due respect to Hornbys model which has been around for a while, there is a fair bit wrong with the shape of the cabs of the Hornby model which is why we have felt justfied in producing a more accurately shaped version.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Makes me feel old as I acquired the Mainline one when it was first released!

Made me think I bought the blue and large logo mainline 56s when they first came out from the train shop at Warwick and thought they were fab at the time, still got both of them but with the first Hornby 56 chassis under the bodies which made them run better, but haven't been run for a few years, you're right, how time flies and how models have unbelievably improved. 

22 hours ago, RBE said:

In contrast to your comment and with all due respect to Hornbys model which has been around for a while, there is a fair bit wrong with the shape of the cabs of the Hornby model which is why we have felt justfied in producing a more accurately shaped version.

Love the approach, so what would it take for cavalex to show Heljan what accuracy really is? Their cl56 looks anything but a 56. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Katie87006 said:

Still looks good though, updates to the electronic components is all that it needs

The weights and pulling capability,motor control and lighting are so much more now,a lot more want them pulling full or near full scale length rakes. As in life theres more in real terms than what something looks like.

Hornby is more associated as a toy maker than making accurate scale models until the last few years as others like Cavalex,Revolution and Accurascale have stole the show.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The weights and pulling capability,motor control and lighting are so much more now,a lot more want them pulling full or near full scale length rakes. As in life theres more in real terms than what something looks like.

Hornby is more associated as a toy maker than making accurate scale models until the last few years as others like Cavalex,Revolution and Accurascale have stole the show.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube of a Hornby class 60 and class 56 pulling 20 - 24 coaches each. This was many years ago. 

Can't find the video now. But I remember the class 60 being the territorial army one and the class 56 being an ews one

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Theres never been a perfect model, and the more down the bespoke rabbit hole we go, the greater the risk of a minor error creeping in, that negates the whole point of going down that rabbit hole in the first place.

Most of my Hornby ones cost less than £100. Ive not got a DCR one, so thats my gap so lets wait and see.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Katie87006 said:

I remember seeing a video on YouTube of a Hornby class 60 and class 56 pulling 20 - 24 coaches each. This was many years ago. 

Can't find the video now. But I remember the class 60 being the territorial army one and the class 56 being an ews one

If you like watching you tube watch this guys content,

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Nicely summed up.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I havnt read the whole thread, but are the models locked in so to speak?

The reason i ask, the BR blue one 56 008, would it not make more sence to produce 56 010 as 56 010 seems to have lasted in BR blue in to 94 where as 56 008 seems to be withdrawn in 1992. Just gives it a slightly longer period for moderlers to fit one on their layout.

5 hours ago, e30ftw said:

The reason i ask, the BR blue one 56 008, would it not make more sence to produce 56 010 as 56 010 seems to have lasted in BR blue in to 94 where as 56 008 seems to be withdrawn in 1992. Just gives it a slightly longer period for moderlers to fit one on their layout.

It's only two years difference on top of about 15 years.

In any case, both locomotives would have had oval buffers (No.2 end only on 56008), an orange cant rail stripe and the later BR OHLE flashes by the 1990's. I assume the Cavalex model of 56008 will be in the original condition as delivered in 1970's, with circular buffers, no cant rail stripe and the earlier BR OHLE flashes.

You'd have to change all that anyway before changing the number.

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143

4 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

It's only two years difference on top of about 15 years.

In any case, both locomotives would have had oval buffers (No.2 end only on 56008), an orange cant rail stripe and the later BR OHLE flashes by the 1990's. I assume the Cavalex model of 56008 will be in the original condition as delivered in 1970's, with circular buffers, no cant rail stripe and the earlier BR OHLE flashes.

Cameron

Seems from Flickr that neither loco ever received an orange cant rail stripe, which surprised me! I thought this became mandatory during the late 80's, guess it was just slow to be adopted?

I'll eat my words on that one then... 

Cameron

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Cameron

Ssshhhh - you're suggesting use of the M word....................

:lol:

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, e30ftw said:

Thank you e30ftw for your post.

Regarding 56008, from our research this loco received radio aerials in 1988 and as you mentioned, was withdrawn in 1992. Whilst 56010 continued in service, gaining TransRail livery, this particular loco had the Doncaster style cab larger headlight fitted at both ends which may not necessarily appeal to all modellers. If people choose not to model 56008, it can be renumbered to other examples, whereas 56010 would mean changing the headlight.

Whilst our design and tooling allow for us to produce 56010 with the larger headlight, we wanted to offer a BR Blue Romanian example in as built condition in the first run. As I am sure you can appreciate, with 134 examples to choose from (56042 requires different bogies), it was a difficult task choosing which locomotives, cab style, era, and liveries, to release first.

To answer your question, yes, the locomotives are effectively locked in with the chosen examples selected for the first production run.

What we have tried to achieve with the first run is to produce models that cater for majority of eras and offer the most common liveries. It would have been very easy for us to offer lots of locomotives in different liveries across the fleet, but we are conscious of the economic climate and also that this is our first locomotive so people will be apprehensive. However, if you have seen our wagons so far, the 3D renders and the 3D print, you can see what can be expected from the production models.

Hopefully our Class 56 will prove popular and then we can offer more examples in the future. 

An idea we are considering is to put up a poll to help us understand what eras people model and what particular liveries modellers would like us to produce. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A second run you say?!? Sounds great!

A poll seems a good idea and makes your customer feel they are part of the process.
As a late 80’s devotee, a Crewe built, unnamed trainload coal, trainload petroleum (was it just 56036?) and a Cardiff namer in early rail freight (Taff Merthyr or similar) would get my vote.

Looking forward to your announcements on your other projects this year.