Farish sound-fitted 108 DMUs

Solo

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to acquire possibly the last (at least new) blue-grey one of these around and am looking to fit with sound.  I was wondering, does anyone know which sound project was used on the blue ones that were released sound-fitted by Farish a couple of years back?  Having seen the videos and list of functions I rather like it - pretty sure it's not Digitrains since I have one of those and the functions/gear changes are different; seem to remember someone saying it was the YouChoos sound file but listening to the sample on their website I'm not so sure....or did Bachmann/Farish record their own bespoke project?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 13:42, Solo said:

I've managed to acquire possibly the last (at least new) blue-grey one of these around and am looking to fit with sound.  I was wondering, does anyone know which sound project was used on the blue ones that were released sound-fitted by Farish a couple of years back?  Having seen the videos and list of functions I rather like it - pretty sure it's not Digitrains since I have one of those and the functions/gear changes are different; seem to remember someone saying it was the YouChoos sound file but listening to the sample on their website I'm not so sure....or did Bachmann/Farish record their own bespoke project?

Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly whose sound recordings Farish use for their factory fitted sound DMUs, quite possibly their own sources or combination. It's not YouChoos as you have also concluded. Digitrains is close and I'm a happy user of that for my DMUs but clearly there are one or two differences. Maybe legomanbiffo/DC Kits but if you look at their functions list that differs from the Farish list of functions: https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=221_251_229&product_id=1506. Of course functions can always be remapped to use whichever F key you like.

I hope that helps a little

Nigel H

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel, thanks for that - I actually emailed Bachmann to ask and they (very promptly) responded to say that all their 'sound fitted' locos and DMUs were bespoke projects but that they were sure Digitrains would be able to help further so I guess that was sort of a hint!  The Farish DMU function list was actually very attractive to me since it included the sound fade-in/out functions (as do their N gauge 31s), I find this invaluable for authenticity on a small end-to-end layout.  Strangely the Digitrains heritage DMU files do not have this and neither do the (otherwise excellent) legomanbiffo ones.

Hi Solo

Fade out/in has always been a standard ZIMO feature and as such can be added by anyone to Digitrains' Heritage DMU (or any ZIMO project really, though most Digitrains' projects do have the fade already set up).

So there's no need to miss out on one of your favourite features, and here's how simple it is to enable:

First establish a 'not used' or 'reserved' F key, say for example F key 22.

Use this as the value to enter in CV313, so CV313 = 22. This will assign Fade to F key 22

You can also vary the duration of the fade in 1/10 ths of a second by changing the value in CV314.  CV314 = 30 gives a 3 second fade, CV314 = 50 gives a 5 second fade, and so on.

This is useful as a long duration fade will suit slow moving sets, short fades better for fast movers.

Of course, CV314 is equally valid for changing the fade duration in each of the Farish sound projects to suit the operator, movement and layout parameters.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the new 3 car green unit today with sound fitted.

Stunning model and runs great. Sound wise its a different soundfile to the previous 2 car blue release. The speaker also seems to be mounted differently. The blue one it was behind the windows at the rear of the power car. In the new one its still at the rear but sitting flat.

As i say sounds great and im really pleased with it. Its the 2nd most expensive loco ive purcahsed only coming second to a Heljan 0 gauge class 20.

Edit : Does it matter which way round the centre coach goes?

Edited by meatloaf
question about centre coach

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Stunning model and runs great. Sound wise its a different soundfile to the previous 2 car blue release. The speaker also seems to be mounted differently. The blue one it was behind the windows at the rear of the power car. In the new one its still at the rear but sitting flat.

As i say sounds great and im really pleased with it. Its the 2nd most expensive loco ive purcahsed only coming second to a Heljan 0 gauge class 20.

Depends which livery, by the BR Blue period you can can a different class centre car never mind the right way round. If its green then its more likely to be kept in the preferred orientation (the centre car loo next to the DMBS)/

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2021 at 22:33, meatloaf said:

I picked up a non-sound 108 at the weekend and noticed that it had white drive gears where I think the older ones had black; so I assume there has been some mechanical upgrading.

I have to agree that it runs beautifully, but I'm rarely disappointed by Graham Farish locos and units especially those of diesel or electric prototypes.