Western Times

Andy M

I see that the RCTS describe the Chipmans Weedkiller Train CWT5 as a converted GNR/LNER 24T Van and that CWT6 was an ex Siphon G. This evidence proves that not to be the case, although it also states that both trains were withdrawn by 1965.

• 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES - Issue No.2 to be REPRINTED

Dear RMwebbers,

For anyone that missed out on Issue 2 before it sold out, I am pleased to inform that a second print run has been placed and should arrive shortly at Transport Treasury HQ. To secure a copy please keep an eye on the web-page for it to appear back in stock.

https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-2/ 

As an update, Issue 4 is nearly complete and I will post the contents page here in the next week or so.

Regards,

Andy.

Western Times Issue 2 Cover.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

WESTERN TIMES - Update

Issue 4 is now undergoing final proof checks and will be off to the printers shortly. The expected publication date is still for the start of August. The contents page below gives a taster of what's in store in number 4!  To reserve yourself a copy please go to  https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-4/

As mentioned in the previous post above, we have reprinted a limited run of Issue 2 which is available to purchase now at  https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-2/    If you missed it first time around, please don't delay obtaining a copy as they are selling fast.

Regards,

Andy.

WT Issue 4 Contents Page.jpg

Edited by Andy M
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 4 - Out Now

I am pleased to announce that the new issue of Western Times is now available to purchase at  https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-4/

All pre-orders will be in the post ASAP, and we hope you find this latest eclectic collection of articles of interest.

Kind regards,

Andy.

Western Times Cover (Issue 4).jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just received issues 2-4 (I order the issues in threes to reduce import costs here in Denmark).

Quite a treat, I have already had some very informative reads and look forward to going in-depth with further articles. Each issue manages to span a range of issues and periods yet is not superficial. Not easy to achieve.

I am sorely tempted to recreate "The signalman's strange pet" in issue 3 in 4mm scale. Modelling the signalbox shouldn't be a problem, the pet will be the real challenge! 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I've just received issues 2-4 (I order the issues in threes to reduce import costs here in Denmark).

Hi Mikkel,

I certainly admire your patience and hope you find it worth the wait. Thank you for your support and kind words.

We are attempting to explore a diverse range of topics, but are of course aware of the insatiable thirst for the ever popular subjects too. A polished 4-6-0 will never be too far away! If you have any preference for future content, please let me know. Your favoured 19th Century is a particular target, but as I’m sure you know, the research is at times challenging and time consuming.

I have Issue 5 well in hand, although I am taking the liberty of typing this from the poolside in Madeira. I’ll be back at it next week!

In the meantime enjoy your catch up.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Some observations on photographs accompanying the Dulverton article in Western Times 4.

On p10 there is a James Harrold photo of 43xx Mogul 6390 at Dulverton on Wednesday 1/6/60 with a 4 coach train bound for Taunton. This is one of a number of photographs that Harrold took on the line on 1/6/60, which can be found (online) in the Transport Library collection.

One of the other photos is a close up of 6390 and the first coach, showing the coach to be W6191W, a Collett era E145 of Bristol B Set 30 (with W6188W).

The caption speculates that the rear 2 coaches are also a B Set. But you can just make out the rectangular outline of a water tank on the roof of the third coach. This, and the position of the door footboards that are visible, indicates that the rear 2 coaches are two different types of ex GWR corridor coach.

In fact the Treasury Library collection also includes photographs that Harrold took of 6390 at Barnstaple on 1/6/60, both at Barnstaple Junction and Barnstaple Victoria. Here it is leading the 3.58pm Barnstaple Junction, 4.10pm Barnstaple Victoria to Taunton. This is made up of a B Set, a Collett ‘Sunshine’ E152 BCK and a Hawksworth C82 SK. Judging by the sequencing of the coaches (after reversal at Barnstaple Vic) this is the same train subsequently photographed at Dulverton (due to arrive at 5.01pm).  This is supported by the fact that there is another 1/6/60 Harrold photograph at Dulverton on p11, the 5.30pm Dulverton to Exeter Exe Valley service comprising 1471 and (from the shadows) 2 Auto trailers (so correct for the scheduled Set 106). This service was scheduled to cross both the 3.58pm service, and the 4.35pm Taunton to Barnstaple service at Dulverton. And this would suggest that the 4.35pm service is likely to be the subject of the other 1/6/60 photograph on p10, 7337 with 4 coaches.)  

The Working of Coaches and Trailers Notice for the Exeter area in Winter 1959/60 specifies 5 sets of coaches to provide the Taunton to Barnstaple services. There were 2 pairs of alternating sets (that is, sets starting from Barnstaple and ending at Taunton one day, and vice versa the next): Sets 75 and 77 were formed of 3 coaches, B Set + BCK, while Sets 76 and 81 were formed of 4 coaches, BSK, SK, SK, BCK. The 5th Set, Set 79, was also of 4 coaches, again, BSK, SK, SK, BCK. This worked from Barnstaple to Taunton in the morning, then to Minehead and back, returning to Barnstaple in late afternoon as the 4.35pm service.

The 3.58pm service was scheduled to be provided by one of the 3 coach sets, either 75 or 77, but on 1/6/60 this has clearly been strengthened by the addition of the C82 SK. Photographic evidence shows that such strengthening was commonplace during the period of the summer timetable in late 1950s/early 60s, to form both 4 and 5 coach trains. The additional coaches could be an SK, a BSK or even another BCK, but during the summer (in contrast to the 1/6/60 arrangement) there was typically either a BSK or BCK at each end of the train. (I assume this reflects formal scheduling but have no documentary evidence to confirm it.)

On p16 there is a photo of 6372 on a Taunton to Barnstaple service dated 18/9/63. The caption speculates that the length of the train suggests a Summer Saturday service rather than a local train. But 18/9/63 was a Wednesday and we are in the second week of the Winter 1963/64 Timetable.

Given that only 4 coach roofs are visible this could be the length of the train. By Winter 1962/3 the only scheduled 4 coach local service was provided by Set 79, BSK, SK, SK, BCK, just as it was in Winter 1959/60. But by now it only had to provide for the morning service from Barnstaple, and the afternoon return, because the local services to Minehead were now provided by DMUs. Assuming that the scheduling in Winter 63/64 is as in Winter 62/63 then the train in the photograph is likely to be the [now] 4.20pm Taunton to Barnstaple service. This is supported by the fact that it is crossing a Taunton bound train, as it was still scheduled to do. 

It is also tempting to imagine the photographer walking the few yards from the roadbridge from which the p16 photograph was taken to the entrance to the cattle pens from which the undated photo on p17 was taken. If so then 1466 is about to propel the [now] 5.15pm Exe Valley Auto train to Exeter: 3 weeks later the Exe Valley services would be no more.

On p13 Mogul 7333 is shown with a high sided ‘intermediate’ tender in August 1963. Other photographs of 7333 on the line during that summer suggest that is acquired this tender some time between 22/6/63 and 13/7/63.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 5 - Update

Number 5 is editorially complete and on route to the printers, so it should be available as scheduled at the start of December (well in time for Christmas)! To reserve a copy for immediate despatch upon publication, go to https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-5/

Here is the contents page to whet your appetite.

Regards,

Andy.

WT Issue 5 Contents Page_1.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hopefully not much longer to wait for this, looking like the content is perfect for me this issue!  China clay, daylight 47xx and Hawksworth coaches...   Hope the latter will finally put to bed the myth constantly trotted out  that they only ever saw service post nationalisation 

51 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Good news, that means it’s not sat in the backlog outside the delivery centre at Bristol being eaten by foxes!

Fingers crossed distribution will be swift Rich, and avoid the worst of the postal dispute. 
I really want this to be in readers hands before the Christmas holiday starts in earnest! 🤞🎅🏻

• Like 1

WESTERN TIMES Issue 5 - Out Now

I am pleased to announce that the new issue of Western Times is now available to purchase at https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-issue-5-out-in-december-22/

I hope you enjoy this issue and work is already well underway on content for 2023. For now though, can I take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support and wish you all a Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Regards,

Andy.

Western Times Cover (Issue 5).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Arrived in Gloucestershire this afternoon, I was initially rather disappointed with both the 47xx and China Clay articles being entirely based around BR photographs and nothing from GWR times.  Particularly when the daytime use of 47xxs on summer Saturdays was also prevalent pre nationalisation.  How the story of China Clay transit on the western can be started in the 1950s I just dont understand (particularly extending the article into dieselisation where there is a vast quantity of published work already) 

The subject of diesels was touched on in the introduction to the issue, personally (as someone with an interested in both GWR steam and diesel operations in the SW) my preference is to avoid the latter.  There are all ready numerous monthly publications that cover this remit in detail (all be it at a national level) whereas for the Western Steam since the demise of the GWRJ there is only Western Times.   I would much rather see the space dedicated to getting a better balance between pre and post nationalisation GW/WR steam. 

To finish on a high, aside from my disappointment in the lack of balance in the two articles I was most looking forward to, I have enjoyed the issue.  The article on Hawksworth coaches was the highlight, helping to bust the myth that these coaches were not seen in GWR service that has been trotted out so often.  Naturally the majority of photos are from BR days, but the text is perfectly balanced period wise (and better still included a detail that I was completely unaware of that the first Hawksworth Composite was delivered to the GWR in Nov47 was an accompanying photo.  Now while that is too late for my layout's October 47 timeline, its close enough that I can slip one in.  (Although I cant recall if I used a surplus BCK (that is definitely no use) or the compo to provide parts for my Hawksworth TPO build.)  

Look forward to seeing how the publication develops in 2023

edit: reading the final page, I live in hope that at least some pre nationalisation content can be included in part 2 of the Clay article (or at least be covered in a part 3 later in the year), In light of the comment regarding sending feedback directly (I will send on to the editor now)

edit2: are the editors contact details published anywhere?

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Are the editors contact details published anywhere?

Rich,

Many thanks for your comments which are duly noted. I can assure you that I receive as many demands for more Hydraulic related content, as I do for it to be banished from the pages of Western Times!

We would very much like to premiere striking new pre-Nationalisation imagery to illustrate each and every relevant article, but the crux is that it is very thin on the ground and with the demand for some reproduction fees being 'off the scale', we have to be realistic.

Our email address is printed at the foot of page 2 in each issue for those wishing to get in touch with corrections, challenges, suggestions or even articles for consideration. For ease it is westerntimes@mail.com

Kind regards,

Andy (Editor).

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

WESTERN TIMES  - New Subscription Service Now Available

Hot news from Transport Treasury HQ, is that a subscription service to obtain future copies of Western Times is offered from Issue No.6 (published April 2023).

To subscribe today and for further details, please head to:   https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-subscription-service/

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 6 - Update

Here is what's coming up in Issue 6, due for release in early April.

Don't forget that Transport Treasury Publishing are now offering a subscription service from this issue, so you will never miss another Western Times and receive your copy immediately upon release. https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-times-subscription-service/

Regards,

Andy.

WT6 Contents Page.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Aha, "employee dishonesty". Intriguing.

Hi Mikkel,

'Rose Tinted Glasses' removed for that particular piece. Let's just say such blasphemy has ruffled a few feathers!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Could be the next chapter in your photo sequence for your Farthing blog.😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Andy M said:

Hi Mikkel,

'Rose Tinted Glasses' removed for that particular piece. Let's just say such blasphemy has ruffled a few feathers!

Employees or Servants?????

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Mikkel said:

If you had seen some of the service histories and old personnel files that I've seen in the past your eyebrows would need plastic surgery to get them back to their correct position.

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Employees or Servants?????

Good point,    They were referred to as 'servants' in the 1923 Rule Book and 'employees' in the 1933 Rule Book. However the  GWR resolution to adopt the new, 1933, Rule Book referred to 'officers and servants' and James Milne's 'address' in the opening of the 1933 book also referred to 'officers and servants'.

It looks,from contemporaneous Rule Books as if  the term 'employees' was the RCH standard wording although interestingly the LNER resolution to adopt the new Rule Book also uses the word 'employees'.

As an aside the use of the word 'officer' to describe various managerial posts lasted on the Western until the end of the Region's existence in 1992 (and I ended my WR days in that year with that word in my job title).  I wouldn't be surprised if it was also still in use on other Region at that time.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

WESTERN TIMES Issue 6 - Update

Dear RMwebbers,

To keep you in the loop, Issue 6 is due to land from the printers at the end of this week and will be distributed soon after. I will post again when this is underway!

I am currently preparing Issue 7 (due August) and also something 'special' for later in the year (more of which anon).

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 9