Adding stay alive to Bachmann 08

Hi, I have an older non-dcc ready Bachmann 08 with a Lenz decoder hard wired in. I'm thinking of adding stay alive to give more reliable running. I wondered if anyone could advise on how to select which stay alive unit to use or ideally could recommend a product they have used. I'm unsure of the exact decoder I fitted and wasn't sure if that had any relevance?  I'm aware the stay alive unit will have to be positioned in the cab.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming the decoder will support a stay alive, I have found the Lais DCC 871007 stay alive is a good one. I use them with Zimo sound and non sound decoders, they give a good few seconds of running. Cost about a tenner each and I have fitted them in 08 cabs along with sugar cube speakers.

Nigel L

Forgot to add, you will have to work out which Lenz decoder it is, as you will have to find both a negative and positive connection which will be somewhere on the circuit board. I've not fitted a stay alive to a Lenz decoder as I've relegated them to use as function decoders for lights and replaced them with others for motor control.

Note the the positive connection will usually be the blue wire, but the negative could take some finding, and it is DEFINITELY NOT the black wire.

Nigel L

• 1 month later...

One simple thing to do that was posted not long after these 08's were issued is to improve the pickups.  The factory ones wipe onto the tyre tread and can pick up muck.  

I can't remember who originally posted it (on here) but mine has had pickups fitted that wipe the back of the flanges and this makes a big difference.