Birds Eye Containers

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

I was not aware of the Conflat B by Hornby, any chance of a pic. and part # etc. please?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Was it not just a generic PLATE-type wagon carrying a container, lettered as a CONFLAT?

I certainly don't recall anything other than the Trix CONFLAT B that resembled the prototype.

CJI.

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Was it not just a generic PLATE-type wagon carrying a container, lettered as a CONFLAT?

I certainly don't recall anything other than the Trix CONFLAT B that resembled the prototype.

CJI.

The underframe was a new tooling; a very good representation of the 12' wheelbase, 8-shoe VB underframe, as used on Minfits and various other types. The ones I remember were issued with 20' Freightliner boxes. I don't know if they subsequently used the slightly longer Plate wagon/ oil tank chassis.

7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The underframe was a new tooling; a very good representation of the 12' wheelbase, 8-shoe VB underframe, as used on Minfits and various other types. The ones I remember were issued with 20' Freightliner boxes. I don't know if they subsequently used the slightly longer Plate wagon/ oil tank chassis.

It's the body that intrigues me - was it a proper CONFLAT B with chain pockets, etc?

CJI.

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Looking at those photos, I'd say not.

Sorry - overlooked the photo links.

Definately a figment of someone's imagination at Hornby.

Why? It would have been just as easy to tool a genuine CONFLAT B - if only the designer had known that such a prototype existed.

Together with an equally simple-to-tool, correct length container - which could authentically be liveried as BIRDS EYE, MACFISHERIES or BR - Hornby could still be knocking out large numbers of accurate CONFLAT Bs, and we might have been spared Bachman's spurious BIRDS EYE livery on the wrong container.

Such is life! 🥺

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, 45568 said:

I was not aware of the Conflat B by Hornby, any chance of a pic. and part # etc. please?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Apparently it was Hornby R017 and looks as below (note that it is incorrectly labelled as a Conflat A) -

69ED8614-251E-42A6-87BE-08843D499D9E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So.......here we have an existing container tooling on a newly-tooled but fictitious  flat wagon body on a newly-tooled and potentially useful underframe........which was never used under anything else? 

Perhaps the investment would have been better spent on a proper EE bogie frame moulding for the Class 37.......(sorry, I can't help measuring all of Hornby's questionable tooling decisions against this travesty....!🤔)

• 3 weeks later...

So …

Feeling like I might have won the Thicky McThick Award 2022 …

I now have six of these spurious Hornby “Conflat B” wagons …

The underframes are correct, but not for a Conflat B wagon …

So I have six underframes suitable to go under a different type of body, one of which is a Minfit - which appears to be a big coal wagon …

Other types have been mentioned, but I don’t know what those are (I am no expert in wagon underframes)

The bodywork is fictional and fit only for landfill…

Does anybody do a Conflat B wagon kit? Or can anybody suggest how to go about adapting other kits etc?

I misread the comment about the accurate underframe way back when, hence my purchase of said Hornby wagons thinking that the underframes were correct for a Conflat B …

Just call me Thicky McThick

HOURS OF FUN?

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected an autocorrected error!

12 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Does anybody do a Conflat B wagon kit?

In short - no; though Genesis Kits used to do a whitemetal kit; (Ebay and patience)?

Alternatively, Peco / Parkside PIPE wagon kit chassis plus cut-and-shut body from Peco / Parkside CONFLAT A bodies - been there, done that. (Parkside used to supply chassis and body sprues separately - I believe that Peco still do so).

I'll leave others to suggest alternative uses for the Hornby 'Conflat B' chassis!

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @cctransuk (John) - your reply is exactly the kind of guidance I needed to point me in the right direction of suitable materials for creating these wagons.

Meanwhile, I have suggested to several more laser kit producers and 3D designers that an AFP container might be of general interest (fingers crossed!)

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

@cctransuk .... I have suggested to ..... 3D designers that an AFP container might be of general interest (fingers crossed!)

Hmmm.

I might just know a man who can!

...... and a CONFLAT B would be within his area of interest.

I will post further if there's something to report.

(I assume that you are aware that I produce transfers for the CONFLAT B and the AFP container)?

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I assume that you are aware that I produce transfers for the CONFLAT B and the AFP container

Absolutely - hence my desire for reasonably priced* models upon which to place them!

😁

Steve S

* By which I mean not Shapeways!!