Website Update

cmtrain

In what has been a few weeks of great change we wanted to give everyone an update on how things are going with the switch over and outstanding issues.

We have not just upgraded to a new website but a new warehousing and dispatch system. Previously the customer service team had been performing heroics manually typing in every address from our system into our shipping partners system and printing off the labels. As our growth has continued the last few years this was becoming increasingly untenable and with covid limiting our options to hire more staff due to space restrictions this change was much needed.

We thank you for all your kind emails and for the help in pointing out the odd wrinkle in the new system. We have already fixed several minor issues and will continue to work hard to try and provide the best website experience in the hobby. 

Pre-Orders

Outstanding Pre-orders are shown in the Pre-Orders tab in the Pre-Order section. Going forward any open orders from the old website not shipped out will now also appear in this section.

Wish lists

The data is almost complete and hopefully will be imported before the end of this week.

Customer credit

We are now using gifts vouchers for customer credit. If you would like to use a gift voucher for a pre-order you will need to do this over the phone.

If you have customer credit you can still use this on pre-orders. If you would like to transfer your customer credit to a gift voucher please get in touch with our customer service team.

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Chris,

Just a quick question if I may?

Does the data transferral include the details of those who (like myself) have registered an interest in the potential model of the Class 89? 

Apologies if this seems like a silly question.

Kind regards.

Hello,

Not a silly question, while that information is not part of the new website, we still have it for potential future use.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

Edited by cmtrain
  • Thanks 1

Another couple of questions if possible Chris.

1. Credit cards used for pre orders. The old system had these accessible on the users account, so they could be updated when the credit card was reissued or replaced, but in my account I cannot see any credit card stored info.

2. I currently have a pre order being processed. My credit card account is showing the value is being processed by the credit card company to the credit of Rails however on your site, no change is showing on the pre order. The old system would have shown "payment taken".Does the system show a pre order being processed I.e. payment taken, in process, despatched, and when does it move to an 'Order.

1 hour ago, cmtrain said:

Hello,

Not a silly question, while that information is not part of the new website, we still have it for potential future use.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

Hi Chris,

That’s good to read. Many thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. 

42 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Another couple of questions if possible Chris.

1. Credit cards used for pre orders. The old system had these accessible on the users account, so they could be updated when the credit card was reissued or replaced, but in my account I cannot see any credit card stored info.

2. I currently have a pre order being processed. My credit card account is showing the value is being processed by the credit card company to the credit of Rails however on your site, no change is showing on the pre order. The old system would have shown "payment taken". Does the system show a pre order being processed I.e. payment taken, in process, despatched, and when does it move to an 'Order.

Hello

1. Currently not, though we plan to add more features to enable similar functionality to the old system in this regard. Currently If a card needs to be changed you can call up our customer service team and they can sort that for you.

2. When an order line on the pre-order screen is fulfilled it will disappear and be dispatched by the old system. The aim is to get all pre-orders being dispatched by the new system so they benefit from tracking and would appear in your orders. We are working towards this.

Apologies for any inconveniences caused while we transition to get everything working optimally, none of this should effect delivery of your pre-orders and as I always stress we have not lost or changed any of your pre-order data.

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, cmtrain said:

Hello

1. Currently not, though we plan to add more features to enable similar functionality to the old system in this regard. Currently If a card needs to be changed you can call up our customer service team and they can sort that for you.

2. When an order line on the pre-order screen is fulfilled it will disappear and be dispatched by the old system. The aim is to get all pre-orders being dispatched by the new system so they benefit from tracking and would appear in your orders. We are working towards this.

Apologies for any inconveniences caused while we transition to get everything working optimally, none of this should effect delivery of your pre-orders and as I always stress we have not lost or changed any of your pre-order data.

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

Thanks Chris. My pre order from the old system has now been processed and I have received the old style notification e-mail that the order is being despatched. 

On 30/07/2021 at 16:49, cmtrain said:

Hello

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

Hello Chris,

I confess I have not read through the whole thread, but I am one for whom the activation email lead nowhere. 

The new website did not recognise my login details, or, even, my emails (there's been more than one) for the purpose of a password re-set.

So the question is, should I be asking to have the account recovered, or do I have to set up a new one?

The latter I have avoided so far because, of course, there is a considerable pre-order history on the existing account.

Thanks

I ordered a sound upgrade for my Wainwright D but was sent a non-sound version in error. Rails sorted it out painlessly but it did leave me a little jumpy when my order for the gas turbine showed up without the sound upgrade added. I was patient and bided my time lazy and sure enough, I saw that the sound upgrade had been added later. The answer seems to be, give it time.

On 01/08/2021 at 08:33, Edwardian said:

Hello Chris,

I confess I have not read through the whole thread, but I am one for whom the activation email lead nowhere. 

The new website did not recognise my login details, or, even, my emails (there's been more than one) for the purpose of a password re-set.

So the question is, should I be asking to have the account recovered, or do I have to set up a new one?

The latter I have avoided so far because, of course, there is a considerable pre-order history on the existing account.

Thanks

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problems, not all accounts could be transferred automatically (more than 90% were done). If it's one of those accounts that could not be transferred, you just need to sign up with the same email that you used for the old account and it will be fine. 

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

• Thanks 1

On 02/08/2021 at 08:44, cmtrain said:

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problems, not all accounts could be transferred automatically (more than 90% were done). If it's one of those accounts that could not be transferred, you just need to sign up with the same email that you used for the old account and it will be fine. 

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

No, that definitely doesn't work!

So, I now have access to an account, but no order history, so all my pre-orders are beyond reach!

23 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No, that definitely doesn't work!

So, I now have access to an account, but no order history, so all my pre-orders are beyond reach!

It links up using Email, could you pm me you email address and name, ill take a look.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cmtrain said:

It links up using Email, could you pm me you email address and name, ill take a look.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

I think the same has happened to my account Chris.

Won't let me log in and when I use the 'forgot password' option it just tells me that my email address is not recognised!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, leavesontheline said:

I think the same has happened to my account Chris.

Won't let me log in and when I use the 'forgot password' option it just tells me that my email address is not recognised!

Hello,

If your account was not auto copied over then creating a new account with the same email is exactly the same. As I previously mentioned unfortunately not all accounts could be copied over though we did manage 90% of accounts chosen.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ecommerce

Rails Of Sheffield

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a international buyer (Australia) trying to enter pre-orders on the site but I keep getting a error at check out "Please try again and ensure all details are completed."

The credit card is showing as green so I guess that means that has been accepted so there is another problem somewhere else?

Checking my Billing and Shipping addresses are 100% correct and can't see any problems.

This is the second time I have tried pre-ordering since the new site and had the same problem.

Last time it was suggested I call and put in a order over the phone but with international rates I wanted to avoid that.

I ended up selecting PayPal last time and without changing any other details the order went through without a problem.

I would much rather pay with credit as PayPal's conversion rate is usually worse.

Any help or any-one else having a similar problem?

I'm also Australia based and the first time I tried to pre-order something I faced this issue too. However, I re-tried and it went through okay. Not completely sure what the issue was, but just glad it worked and I got the pre-order confirmation e-mail!.

Well I've tried everything that I can think of with no luck.

Different shipping and billing, same shipping and billing.

Put info in the lines that were blank, changing spaces to hyphen and underlines, added in extra space between before and after words but no luck.

Different browsers.

I also hope there are some more updates for the site as I find there to be a couple of things that are lacking that I used to use on the old site.

A problem with pre-ordering on the new site:

On 16th August I pre-ordered one of the new A5's. As a regular rails customer, I went onto the new website on the 19th and was met with a screen showing that the deposit for my already pre-ordered A5 hadn't been completed. Upon doing so I was taken to the summary screen only to discover that I now had TWO ordered! (One paid for on the 16th, and one of the 19th).

I rang up to cancel the second one and instead of being offered a refund, was told the extra amount would be added to the first. A week later there was no sign of any increased deposit (It still showed £30) so I rang up and was told the manager would have to deal with it, but they would chase it up for me. By the 2nd September, with still no reply, I emailed asking for a refund. Come the 8th September and still nothing. I've now had to go through Paypal to get my money back. Goodness knows how long that will take!

Come on Rails, I know there may be some teething problems with the new website, but if a customer has made an accidental payment due to a problem with said site, I don't think it should be an issue to give them their money back.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies I missed replies to this thread, must not have notifications turned on, so sorry for my silence.

On 05/09/2021 at 04:17, Jupiter said:

Well I've tried everything that I can think of with no luck.

Different shipping and billing, same shipping and billing.

Put info in the lines that were blank, changing spaces to hyphen and underlines, added in extra space between before and after words but no luck.

Different browsers.

I also hope there are some more updates for the site as I find there to be a couple of things that are lacking that I used to use on the old site.

Hello,

Worldwide payments have always been an issue and have become more so in the last couple of years. We are limited in what levers we can pull in regards to banks and our payment gateways rejecting payments, we have been looking in to this and are trying to make transactions with our customers outside the UK less problematic. 

We are constantly working on new updates some of which should come to fruition soon...

On 08/09/2021 at 11:53, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

A problem with pre-ordering on the new site:

On 16th August I pre-ordered one of the new A5's. As a regular rails customer, I went onto the new website on the 19th and was met with a screen showing that the deposit for my already pre-ordered A5 hadn't been completed. Upon doing so I was taken to the summary screen only to discover that I now had TWO ordered! (One paid for on the 16th, and one of the 19th).

I rang up to cancel the second one and instead of being offered a refund, was told the extra amount would be added to the first. A week later there was no sign of any increased deposit (It still showed £30) so I rang up and was told the manager would have to deal with it, but they would chase it up for me. By the 2nd September, with still no reply, I emailed asking for a refund. Come the 8th September and still nothing. I've now had to go through Paypal to get my money back. Goodness knows how long that will take!

Come on Rails, I know there may be some teething problems with the new website, but if a customer has made an accidental payment due to a problem with said site, I don't think it should be an issue to give them their money back.   

Hello,

Sorry to hear about that, was the duplicate order your error or was there something we could have done differently to help stop that happening?

Kind Regards Chris

Ecommerce

Rails of Sheffield