Sonic Models next N gauge model - LNER J50

TomE

After the M7 they might want to give the 14xx, 45xx and Ivatt another go with a new chassis and a decoder socket.

Dapol also have the drawings they need to do a Mogul and a 61xx. 

That is of course if they really wanted to and the jury may be out, I don't think Farish are going to do any of them as they cannot replicate in OO.

The Collett and Dean Goods may be something Sonic goes for as a tender engine without having to worry about complex valve gear.

This does feel rather GW biased, of course there are plenty of LSWR tender 0-6-0s Sonic could do.

It actually feels that if Sonic stay with inside valve gear locos the biggest company threatened is Union Mills

As far as Sonic go, I wouldn't care to predict what they will do after the J50 which was a big and very pleasant surprise to a lot of people, myself included.

A simple 0-6-0 tender loco may make sense, but given Colin Allbright's UK knowledge I feel sure Sonic will know what models Union Mills produce and consequently what to avoid duplicating.

I expect thin pickings from Farish going forward personally, their eye seems to be firmly on investment in the OO range and while I may always be proved wrong, I do not expect a new tool steam loco for a while.

It is a minefield to negotiate, but I can't help feeling that the third Sonic model will be an equally unexpected but inspired choice - how about a WW1 GC ROD 2-8-0 for example? To be clear, not a prediction but just an example of what there is to choose from.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Saw the painted sample in various e-mails today.

I can't work out if the Hornby OO model has skewed what I think the J50 looks like, or if the proportions are just slightly out on this one? Small steam in N is always harder. It's more of an "impression" rather than being able to state what's off. Still glad it's being made and hope it sells well - and I await education from those more knowledgeable on its accuracy!

• 3 weeks later...

painted sample on the rails stand at Doncaster today.

I didn't have my camera with me but it looks rather nice.    I'm holding off pre-ordering (any actual purchase would be renumbered in any case) until I've seen one pulling a train as my 56xx has proved somewhat gutless and the job I have in mind needs it to pull 8 bogie coaches.

Les

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Crepello said:

Aren't all J50 sales being handled by Rails of Sheffield? 

Patience, patience!

Yes, that is my understanding, they will be exclusive to Rails of Sheffield.

Presumably if a Q2/3 delivery they will at the very least be in production by now.

Roy

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure how many people might have noticed, but the first of the final production J50s made an appearance on Copenhagen Fields for a few hours at the Bristol Thornbury Show at the weekend. 

IMG20230429110232.jpg.d38868f9cd1b39a43ac9cdda040f0fbf.jpg

This was brought from China personally by Mr Sonic himself, who explained the production batch are on the boat as we speak, and should be on their way to customers late June / July!

The CF team agreed it looks exquisite, and it ran beautifully. We're also confident that the bearing design is consistent with e.g. Farish Jinty, so 2mmFS conversions should be quite simple.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I'm not sure how many people might have noticed, but the first of the final production J50s made an appearance on Copenhagen Fields for a few hours at the Bristol Thornbury Show at the weekend. 

IMG20230429110232.jpg.d38868f9cd1b39a43ac9cdda040f0fbf.jpg

This was brought from China personally by Mr Sonic himself, who explained the production batch are on the boat as we speak, and should be on their way to customers late June / July!

The CF team agreed it looks exquisite, and it ran beautifully. We're also confident that the bearing design is consistent with e.g. Farish Jinty, so 2mmFS conversions should be quite simple.

It looks very at home there! Stands up well next to the 2FS stock.  

Tom. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have bought a late crest J50 and it looks absolutely marvellous, but whilst trying to chip it 1 of the 4 body screws simply will not move. All 3 of the others came out no problems, is this something anyone else has encountered? There's only so many fine screwdrivers I can try before it strips the head entirely!

On 03/07/2023 at 20:51, Josie said:

Have bought a late crest J50 and it looks absolutely marvellous, but whilst trying to chip it 1 of the 4 body screws simply will not move. All 3 of the others came out no problems, is this something anyone else has encountered? There's only so many fine screwdrivers I can try before it strips the head entirely!

Over on the Rails thread, Roy reported the same issue. He had to drill out the tight screw. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, csiedmo said:

Over on the Rails thread, Roy reported the same issue. He had to drill out the tight screw. 

I did, a matter of using a manual "pin vice" type hand-drill (obvs not a dremel!) and a drill just larger that the threaded part of the screw. Locate the drill in the centre of what is left of the x-head and carefully and slowly drill it away with the loco inverted in a soft cradle of some kind. What you will be left with is effectively a stud, which I didn't try to remove, the three remaining fixing screws are more than adequate to hold the body securely in place.

Hope this helps.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1