14.2mm gauge point kits from British Finescale

whart57

The kits were shown to members at West Byfleet yesterday (November 13) and the response was very good. As a result we are now moving to the ordering stage. 3mm Society members can, if they haven't already done so, place a pre-order with Track Sales. We do have to curb our enthusiasm a bit because Wayne's set up is not geared to bulk orders but hopefully these will start getting plonked on layouts in the new year.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, whart57 said:

The kits were shown to members at West Byfleet yesterday (November 13) and the response was very good. As a result we are now moving to the ordering stage. 3mm Society members can, if they haven't already done so, place a pre-order with Track Sales. We do have to curb our enthusiasm a bit because Wayne's set up is not geared to bulk orders but hopefully these will start getting plonked on layouts in the new year.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely order a few for a small project.

• 1 month later...

I was informed yesterday that the first batch of point kits were despatched in the direction of 3mm Society tracksales. A big round of applause for Wayne, please.

Can I just set expectations though, this first batch is not enough to fill all pre-orders, however we do know which order those came in so we can work on a first come first served basis.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Lucky you I'm on waiting list!

Original order was larger but I said a couple for me to play with would be sufficient for now, so others could benefit. I'm still mulling over what project to use them for.

Nigel

I've had an email to say the second batch are on the way

Just so as you are aware, we are pursuing a crossover - 2 B6 points but timbered correctly for a 6' way of 33mm - as the next project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:04, whart57 said:

Just so as you are aware, we are pursuing a crossover - 2 B6 points but timbered correctly for a 6' way of 33mm - as the next project.

If not sensitive info how many points on first and second batch? Has it surprised Committee in numbers?

I personally haven't bought much in last few years accept a few lincon body's and now 3 complete locos, and as points now available just spent a grand on kits and track....am I the only one or has stock sidings seen a increase?, to be fair early retirement has given more disposable funds..

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

If not sensitive info how many points on first and second batch? Has it surprised Committee in numbers?

I personally haven't bought much in last few years accept a few lincon body's and now 3 complete locos, and as points now available just spent a grand on kits and track....am I the only one or has stock sidings seen a increase?, to be fair early retirement has given more disposable funds..

After West Byfleet we had just over 70 pre-orders so the order was for 50LH and 50RH split over two batches at Wayne's request. What everyone will be looking for is the level of follow up orders now the initial pent-up demand has been met.

2 hours ago, whart57 said:

After West Byfleet we had just over 70 pre-orders so the order was for 50LH and 50RH split over two batches at Wayne's request. What everyone will be looking for is the level of follow up orders now the initial pent-up demand has been met.

I'm sure it will peak then level to a trickle but with out A ...no one will produce B

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2022 at 16:04, whart57 said:

Well, there is the fact that a lot of crossovers were between lines where the separation was more than 6'...

In stations, for example, or between fast and slow running lines.

I'll get me coat.

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

When the time comes I have to say the 9mm double slip on my bench is a lovely piece of work and hopefully the society work and sales will help the range develop...   Just for fun I wonder what a triang standard "high speed turnout would look like length say that of a standard double straight?  ( Gets coat and runs stage left... )

Robert  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

When the time comes I have to say the 9mm double slip on my bench is a lovely piece of work and hopefully the society work and sales will help the range develop...   Just for fun I wonder what a triang standard "high speed turnout would look like length say that of a standard double straight?  ( Gets coat and runs stage left... )

Robert  

Yep but that would spoil the right left or left right 'shimmy as triang stock bulldoze at high-speed through triang points....with the obligatory whiff of hot oil

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well took plunge....got point kits sat down the other night to make first one....what a joy! Loved it...just cleaning kitchen bomb sight after Sunday dinner and out with soldering iron to do the wiring up

First point in 3mm built...and any other scale! Just in time for the RTP 08!.... 

If any one in 3mm is undecided on how hard kits are to make there not....just follow instructions and watch YouTube vids

British finescale should be commended as well as brave Committee backing to go ahead and support....

Society needs to get the point kits and a 08 in 14.2mm to glossy magazines and showcase what's new....life beyond triang ...not knocking the speeding jintys but it's not going to get new members to come to the dark side!

IMG-20220331-WA0018.jpeg

20220331_220912.jpg

20220331_223417.jpg

20220331_214911.jpg

20220331_220426.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 18:55, bradfordbuffer said:

Well took plunge....got point kits sat down the other night to make first one....what a joy! Loved it...just cleaning kitchen bomb sight after Sunday dinner and out with soldering iron to do the wiring up

First point in 3mm built...and any other scale! Just in time for the RTP 08!.... 

If any one in 3mm is undecided on how hard kits are to make there not....just follow instructions and watch YouTube vids

British finescale should be commended as well as brave Committee backing to go ahead and support....

Society needs to get the point kits and a 08 in 14.2mm to glossy magazines and showcase what's new....life beyond triang ...not knocking the speeding jintys but it's not going to get new members to come to the dark side!

IMG-20220331-WA0018.jpeg

20220331_220912.jpg

20220331_223417.jpg

20220331_214911.jpg

20220331_220426.jpg

Point plonked on to ply....few lengths of flexi few wires....and a hay presto working test track.

Dcc concepts power base added but loco not fitted with magnets or any weights yet....

Point works as it should thanks to cleaver design

Link for YT vid.

https://youtu.be/ShvVDtHl_g4

Edited by bradfordbuffer

• RMweb Gold

William,

These are printed bases with integral chairs and a rail formed common crossing, pics show that bit well.  These are available via Society with a price saving but will be available direct. A while back Wayne had stopped web sales to allow time to work on projects so might not be available on the web at this time.  

Certainly a good move by all concerned and my experience in 9mm is these are as good as it gets for a kit.

Robert  

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

William,

These are printed bases with integral chairs and a rail formed common crossing, pics show that bit well.  These are available via Society with a price saving but will be available direct. A while back Wayne had stopped web sales to allow time to work on projects so might not be available on the web at this time.  

Certainly a good move by all concerned and my experience in 9mm is these are as good as it gets for a kit.

Robert  

Surprisingly easy build....follow instructions!  Also bought my self a cheap 7 quid optimiser type head worn magnification tool surprising what you see! Think I'm letting swmbo get me proper one for a present at end of year! ...is April too early for x...s talk?

If member and dabble in dark art of 14.2mm get one bought and have a go

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Silverfox17 said:

It would be nice if some were done to Tri-ang standards, there are far more people with Tri-ang/12 mm than 14.2 and it would save modifying Peco ones.

Agreed ! I had wondered if it was too much a task to create a "mainline" turnout in the style of Triang  or at least to triang b track sleepering geometry so it/ they could be simply be added to the catalogue  T. xxxx with a turnout the length of a double straight.  

Certainly however a 12mm gauge point to Society sleepering style would please many but as Wayne has found it then creates an unstoppable rush of demands for a "standard 3 waycompounddoubleoutside slipturnout with traps" combined for a tenner  price tag.  The problem is how to describe the turnout as modelers refer in equal amounts to the radius of the curved leg but others the crossing angle  and the real ones can have differing crossing angles for the same radius, so whatever is made cannot ever satisfy the market.  Peco overcame this with giving  vague notation as med and long radius to its points thus muddying even more. I would not want to be in Wayne`s shoes, but he has tod a welcome path for many- a big thanks is due to him for having the eye to move on from his firstNgauge  work - some I have here in my flat.

happy modelling in 3mm!

Robert       

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Silverfox17 said:

It would be nice if some were done to Tri-ang standards, there are far more people with Tri-ang/12 mm than 14.2 and it would save modifying Peco ones.

I quite agree but can triang run on code 60 BH? Is society 12mm track run on code 80FB? Think point kits may be difficult in flat bottom....Problems are multi 12mm standards...triang...tilling...lincon loco....

But the developers will know more...

How long can we still suport Tri-ang standards?  Not knocking triang but it's not attracting modellers to 3mm. There is a place for all 3mm but how many Newby opt for Tri-ang