Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Judging by the look of the model, it proably WILL be over £200.

However given Accurascale are brining out similar specification 37s and 55s for 'just' 160/170 it is still difficult to justify the price vs spec. Given Bachmann's larger overheads, I would say £180-190 would be 'justifiable' but sadly I can't see Bachmann keeping the price so keen.

Then again 180 is the ballpark for current releases from Hornby in D&E.

No point arguing about prices or whether we think they are 'justifiable'  as the market will decide what it is willing to pay. I suspect the 'base' model will be around the £200 mark and the sound then sound plus models will be somewhere significantly north of that. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

Interested to see what liveries and running numbers will be announced tomorrow. Excellent announcement by Bachmann, I'll be having a couple.. 

There was a Large Logo 47/7  cat 31-665 and a blue 47435 cat 32-807 still outstanding, but noticed they seem to have gone today from the website.

I was thinking Bachmann had been quiet on 47’s for a while.

Watching the video, they really seem to have upped their game on detail, it looks very attractive indeed, its a very impressive stack of detail and range of configuration options.. all of a sudden renumbering a 47 and swapping fuel tanks around got a whole lot more complicated !

Lets see what they announce.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

How do you mean? The LokSound V5 does have drive hold AFAIK, or do you mean the Bachmann project doesn't include it?

Its that the Bachmann project doesn't include it and goes one step further to replace it with two 'coasting' and 'heavy load' functions. I realise this puts it more in line with previous Bachmann releases, which does make sense, but the drive hold is a very nice feature of the V5 which is a shame to see omitted here. Depending on how the two Bachmann functions are configured which replace the original feature, I hope that drive hold can be re-programmed in. Its not a complaint by any means, more a query having noted it, I just have got very used to the virtues of this function over other ways of simulating variable loadings. After all, the absolute worst case scenario is that one can always go the DC model route and use a Biffo (or other) file to get the drive hold if the Bachmann bespoke file doesn't support it.

Umm Accurascale mentioned internal lighting at the time of their original announcement in 2018, as also the moulding of engine detail in the chassis block (visible in the initial stereo prints). They have recently (re)confirmed the printing of this decoration.

Didn't Bachmann already go down the engine room detail on the chassis block and LED lighting for such with their class 85 some considerable time before Accurascale conceived their Deltic? OK, its not picked out in paint in the AL5, but its certainly been done before, and quite possibly before that too...can't remember which one(s) mind you, if it were the case; Blue Pullman perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Its that the Bachmann project doesn't include it and goes one step further to replace it with two 'coasting' and 'heavy load' functions. I realise this puts it more in line with previous Bachmann releases, which does make sense, but the drive hold is a very nice feature of the V5 which is a shame to see omitted here

Yeah I expect it should be simple enough to put back in with a Lokprogrammer, maybe a bit more difficult without!

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive . Well done Bachmann , not just on the model but on the way they've introduced it at length .  I had no idea there were so many variations and its great to see someone outlining all the differences . 

Good they've announced this ahead of their autumn announcements as it may have overwhelmed other announcements they make tomorrow .

For those looking at price , I have a theory that this is a deliberate move to get people excited and figuring out why they need one , before hitting us with the price , presumably tomorrow . Those hoping for £200 may well need to have handkerchiefs at the ready (isn't the Heljan one already £220 and this looks a step up in spec?) No idea what the costs of these will be , but Bachmann lead the way .

Clearly they see the future as high spec models , maybe restricted in volume and at premium prices . 

Lets see the variations . I'd love a flush fronted one . Fortunately I'm in a position where I can be selective in purchases , already too much stock and running out of space . So will wait and see . 

Good move for Bachmann , though . I thought they were a bit of a "busted flush" with the likes of Accurascale and Heljan  picking off models , but this shows they think there's a fight in it . 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Didn't Bachmann already go down the engine room detail on the chassis block and LED lighting for such with their class 85 some considerable time before Accurascale conceived their Deltic? OK, its not picked out in paint in the AL5, but its certainly been done before, and quite possibly before that too...can't remember which one(s) mind you, if it were the case; Blue Pullman perhaps?

Actually ive got a Fleischmann Warship from the 1970’s with engine room details, so its not that new.

I see it healthy myself that Bachmann is rising to the challenge of new entrants. Whilst many are feteing Accurascale, it should be pointed out, they haven’t actually delivered a UK loco yet, and their first one, indeed 2, are now running bum squeakingly  late. Tbh imho its Heljan, that are looking to being exposed and hunted right now..

Personally i’m against duplication, and with a fleet of over 70 x 47’s its an easy choice for me to ignore,  considering some of my 47’s are still Lima, so i’ll wait and see what they announce, when it comes to 47’s its not about detail (sharp gasps I hear the audience take), but livery and prototype…, which is why I still have some Lima, and as a DC modeller theres not much in it for me either, but i’ll still be attracted to super detail of this new tooling so i’ll probably take one to evaluate, and see where it goes from there.

Tbh Whilst I believe Heljan will make a good new 47, Ive not seen a Heljan diesel of any prototype that matches what I just saw in that Bachmann 47 video. The litmus test will be how it sits with my Bachmann, Lima ones.. (The Heljan one doesnt sit well, so I dont have any), but as I cant replace 70+ x 47’s overnight, its going to be a marathon, so it’ll need to fit in, as well as stand out.

I think we are somewhat starved of plain blue covered head-code, headlamp fitted 47s, Large logo 47’s, Intercity (original style) 47’s… so it’ll be those that get my attention.. if 47580, 47593 rock up this week i’ll be happy, as I will be if 47487 (unnamed old style intercity) i’ll be quite happy as its a good renumber candidate.. that said, that was before I saw there was 1250 and 1200 gallon tanks, let alone 3 types of speedo, 2 types of cab air intake, 2 types of frame support, 2 types of cab step……

so i’ll sum up my entire thoughts in 1 word.. intrigued.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

There was a Large Logo 47/7  cat 31-665 and a blue 47435 cat 32-807 still outstanding, but noticed they seem to have gone today from the website.

I was thinking Bachmann had been quiet on 47’s for a while.

Watching the video, they really seem to have upped their game on detail, it looks very attractive indeed, its a very impressive stack of detail and range of configuration options.. all of a sudden renumbering a 47 and swapping fuel tanks around got a whole lot more complicated !

Lets see what they announce.

I had actually pre-ordered 47435 from Rails. They had better announce a bog standard, banger blue TOPS 47 with domino's in the new tooling then!!! Steam Heat preferably, but I'll take an ETH 47/4.

47435 was supposed to be the first time it was done in the old tooling, despite it being one of the most common variants, with the majority of the fleet being in that condition from the late 70's - early 80's. Thought we were going to get one finally, but now we'll have to wait and see!

Fingers crossed.

Cameron

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Oh absolutely. Some people just don't know what proper disappointment actually is...

• being wide awake at 7.00am on a Sunday.
  • a bottle of your favourite cider that's just gone past its best.
  • the last Pringle in the tube.

Some people need to get a proper sense of perspective. ;)

No, you’ve got it all wrong. True disappointment is not having the funds to buy 10 new locos a month, finding your last tin of pre 1985 warning yellow had dried up and a new tin will cost £10 due to postage costs and getting a Hornby wagon in Coca Cola livery for Christmas.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I am very, very tempted. I like the fact there’s sound on DC. I do hope it doesn’t go ‘pop’ if there’s an HF track cleaner installed on the layout.

Theres always been sound on DC using full fat DCC chips.

i just find that my Gaugemaster DC controllers cant run them, as the power draw is too high.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

No point arguing about prices or whether we think they are 'justifiable'  as the market will decide what it is willing to pay. I suspect the 'base' model will be around the £200 mark and the sound then sound plus models will be somewhere significantly north of that. 

My father, now long deceased, had a small building company and built everything to a very high standard. When anyone complained about his pricing compared to another builder, his reply was always the same "You cannot buy a Rolls Royce at Ford prices." He also willingly showed his prospective customers examples of his work and he was never short of work.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i just find that my Gaugemaster DC controllers cant run them, as the power draw is too high.

I've been happily running a Loksound V4 (Hornby factory-fitted Britannia) on a Gaugemaster model D for a number of years.... Also (pre lockdown) tried it on a friend's H&M Clipper. Low speed a bit of a balancing act in terms of draw between chip and motor, but OK at low-medium.

Well, it's certainly a somewhat unexpected and Interesting announcement from Barwell, I Await tomorrow's full announcement with interest. As a big fan of the Brush Type 4, I can feel myself adding one or two to the fleet when they come in the near future. However, a few little observations from me: 

The marker light glazing is impressive - particularly the attention to detail to get the 'ribs' of the glazing. But, they still look a little too large - perhaps just a fraction too big. Some of Bachmann's previous 47s have had a goggle effect with theirs, I really hope this doesn't repeat that. 

The rotating fans - These are a bit of a bugbear of mine, something that is nice to have but are they really necessary? After all, you wont be watching them rotate while it's on the move. Fingers crossed that they'll be powered separately though, as I've found the rotating fans on Hornby's HST to impact it's performance (enough that I've disconnected mine and binned off the mechanism). Now, Opening and closing Radiator grilles would be a hugely impressive feature! 

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Spoilt brats would be "I want it all and I want it NOW". My approach is more "I want to be allowed time to make my choice. 

There won't be any need to buy one (or more) the instant they are released, this model will be produced for years if not decades to come.

Look forward to seeing the initial tranche of variants, BR blue or green with FYE, preferably 47/3 too, suits me sir ! Thank you Bachmann.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Last week I collected a Bachmann Trains (USA) all bells and whilstles Amtrak Midwest Siemens Charger SC-44 Bo-Bo Diesel loco from local dealer. According to the leaflet that comes with it, includes several brand new features from the prototype. One interesting feature is the emergency braking operation - if it is triggered the emergency brake dump sound will play and the red emergency strobe on the cab roof will begin to flash. Like the new Cl.47 the engine room is all lit up.

Price of this loco retailed by Bachmann Europe is £360-95. Be interesting to compare it to the price of the new Cl.47.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

An interesting announcement for a few reasons: 

1. The roof fans. I am surprised this has not been picked up on. Hornby did have rotating roof fans in things like the 31, 50, etc. They were linked to the motor and sped up with working. Yes the model could be fitted with DCC but this in the end did the same. Bachmann might have one fitted to a motor specifically for the fans but its nice spin to label it as the first one done. 

2. Its interesting seeing the many and various tooling options that have been included. The detail and work done here is highly impressive. The idea of lights and modes featured should see Bachmann have an engine that finally covers the idea of detail and DCC completely. No more switches and lighting errors. The team have done well to do this, but will internal lighting also mean modelling the innards? At want point does detail go to far? 
3. Bachmann are clearly and still pushing for the European style and type model of modelling - despite some push back such as price developments and stockists getting fewer of the models previously able to be sold overall. But could this see a shift to Bachmann producing several of a type all at once as competitors do. Interestingly variants to be done have not been mentioned so you presume that will be listed tomorrow. 
4. Cost. Bachmann have pushed boundries and costs are one of them pushed hard. I can see the basic model being somewhere near £250 and sound fitted delux being near £375 to £400, especially if Bachmann think a 57/6 in WCRC can be near £180 ish to start with. That will be something of a game changer in so much as how many will baulk at the price jump - and the price will jump! (cue... How much!) - which in turn will trigger inflation across price ranges too as other new models end up in and around similar territory in the future... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I've been happily running a Loksound V4 (Hornby factory-fitted Britannia) on a Gaugemaster model D for a number of years.... Also (pre lockdown) tried it on a friend's H&M Clipper. Low speed a bit of a balancing act in terms of draw between chip and motor, but OK at low-medium.

My sound fleet is approx 12 locos, 20x2, 25,31, 37, 47, 55, cfl 55xx, et21, BR74, SD40-2, 2x BLI A4’s.

I have Gaugemaster D, Q, W, LT.. no luck any of them, except the SD40-2 (which I can also control the bell on DC), .. I do have a dodgy old Piko trainset controller..the Piko runs sound on them all…trouble is ive not much speed control on that !

I gave up, spent £5 on a blue tooth speaker, put it in a guards van and stream recordings from my phone.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

4. Cost. Bachmann have pushed boundries and costs are one of them pushed hard. I can see the basic model being somewhere near £250 and sound fitted delux being near £375 to £400, 

Hornby just increased its prices of class 60 to £209, and class 31’s to £197.

look on the brightside…

You should consider that increasing prices doesn't decrease the value of your own collection… my TTS fitted 60044 Dowlow I bought for £130 last year is now £230 on Hornbys website.

I’m not expecting the value of my Lima class 47’s to drop below the £17.50 I paid for them in 1993, or the £75-£100 I paid for most Bachmann ones 3-5 years ago.

Model railway prices are giving me a greater ROI than my 37.5p Lloyds bank shares of 2009.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

This is really excellent news. I do hope a BR blue with dominos version is amongst the first releases. Perhaps ‘Chard has been able to influence that in view of his previously stated interest.

Tongue in cheek mode on… With all these different tooling options, I haven’t seen whether the two cab window eyebrows options will be produced and if not which one will be - the Brush or Crewe version?

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

All this came about in my years away from the hobby. No more Percy Edwards/human beatbox-style sound effects from me!

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Judging by the look of the model, it proably WILL be over £200.

However given Accurascale are brining out similar specification 37s and 55s for 'just' 160/170 it is still difficult to justify the price vs spec. Given Bachmann's larger overheads, I would say £180-190 would be 'justifiable' but sadly I can't see Bachmann keeping the price so keen.

While we will need to wait and see on the price, those Accurascale prices are 2 (Class 37) and 3 (Class 55) years old at this point, and in particular prices have gone up significantly in the last 6 to 9 months.  Thus comparing them to a new model isn't really relevant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2