Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

5 minutes ago, chickensoup said:

Someone says planning is the key Andrew.

And Cornwall is very nice at this time of year.

CS

I agree with both statements, so why, when I plan, do I change my mind?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Just now, Andrew P said:

I agree with both statements, so why, when I plan, I change my mind?

Sometimes only the potential end result can be seen from the initial build  - your not alone - no amount of CAD can replace physical construction.

I will be back to see Bute in it's hopefully not too many incarnations.

CS

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The branch falls towards St Blazey. The main lines rise from Par in both directions.

The branch round the curve from Par to St Bz is flat (or as good as) as is the now very overgrown Chapel Siding. 

That gives a good idea of how steep the climb out of Par on the Down actually is; which is about 1in 60. The line up the Luxulyan valley is as steep as 1:37, so plenty of grunt needed to get up to Goonbarrow and beyond!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow, 5 pages already and no wood cut / damaged (delete as appropriate).

Seriously though, hope all goes well Andy.

I'm quite tempted by a more modern layout than my normal BR Blue, especially with the influx of 'modern' rolling stock from the likes of Cavalex, Accurascale and Revolution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

No, no it's not. It's full of tourists clogging up the roads and shops.

And it rains.

Its the rain wot makes it so attractive, init?

I loved all my School Holidays staying with my Cuz and his Parents, and visits to Polzeath.

Mum and Dad used to go swimming at Polzeath and Port Izzac, I hope to visit again one day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chickensoup said:

Sometimes only the potential end result can be seen from the initial build  - your not alone - no amount of CAD can replace physical construction.

I will be back to see Bute in it's hopefully not too many incarnations.

CS

Thanks CS, Not to many incarnations this time I hope, but I need it right, and satisfying.

Thanks for popping in.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

The branch round the curve from Par to St Bz is flat (or as good as) as is the now very overgrown Chapel Siding. 

That gives a good idea of how steep the climb out of Par on the Down actually is; which is about 1in 60. The line up the Luxulyan valley is as steep as 1:37, so plenty of grunt needed to get up to Goonbarrow and beyond!!

Ooooo, Should have gone for the 90's period then with Double headed 37's.:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Wow, 5 pages already and no wood cut / damaged (delete as appropriate).

Seriously though, hope all goes well Andy.

I'm quite tempted by a more modern layout than my normal BR Blue, especially with the influx of 'modern' rolling stock from the likes of Cavalex, Accurascale and Revolution.

Hi Richard, Yes some wonderful stuff about, I had Kewnow Tigers on Kings Moreton, and one with a squeaky axel that was very effective. 

The new Blue Immerys are nice, and I hope to get some Cavalex CDA's to replace the Hornby ones in time, but mine are the latest ones with the fixed axels.

Here's a Video with the Tigers on KM.

• Like 5

O.K. Update for today, Not a lot to be honest, but one of my Grandsons and I have got 3 Boards  done, and prep work for 2 more, so a good day in all.

First job was to raise the last frame on the main side. I did the 2 end ones yesterday, but couldn't lift the big one on my own.

Then we had to go and get the Timber, and make a start.

Here's where we are now, and Ricky is taking his 4 Daughters out now for the rest of the week, so I can plod along on my own now that the heavy lifting and cutting is done.

All the boards will eventually have a neat facia edging around the inside.IMG_5293.JPG.779b98c16141e90842c47810cdfb7d61.JPG

IMG_5294.JPG.ff0b62c06e8c230a1ade898204d36064.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG.1497a27e5f103ee8e37dbf3c542fe6c1.JPG

• Like 19

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Guys, for all the info, I've never been there, so sometimes from just a photo its difficult to judge where, is where.

Hi Andy,

Great to have you back in the 'layout topics' section. I used to forget to look in the 7mm section, so will be great to see the hopefully (very) regular updates here.

The area around Par and the Newquay branch is of course well worth a visit for 'research purposes', though as Stubby says, maybe now is not the best time of year to head down there! There is still loads of interesting railway infrastructure and movements, though you have to plan carefully - and be lucky - if you want to see a clay train these days. A trip along the Newquay branch is the best / only way of glimpsing St Blazey depot and the Rocks china clay works at Goonbarrow Junction, which I believe is the only location where clay is loaded now.

Hope you don't mind me posting this one, admittedly going back to 2016, of 66 142 rounding the curve from St Blazey with the JIAs bound for Exeter Riverside and then on to the potteries!

IMG_2858.JPG.a11fa630389d5aafe178c7d4bbeca4e2.JPG

Mike

Edited by mikeyh
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

Ooh, spotted an Andrew P build at the start! They're usually started, finished and dismantled by the time I've noticed one. Will look forward to watching this one as it develops

Hi Matt, Well thanks for that, and good to have you on board, and don't worry if you miss a day or two, it wont be sold any time soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyh said:

Hi Andy,

Great to have you back in the 'layout topics' section Andy. I used to forget to look in the 7mm section, so will be great to see the hopefully (very) regular updates here.

The area around Par and the Newquay branch is of course well worth a visit for 'research purposes', though as Stubby says, maybe now is not the best time of year to head down there! There is still loads of interesting railway infrastructure and movements, though you have to plan carefully - and be lucky - if you want to see a clay train these days. A trip along the Newquay branch is the best / only way of glimpsing St Blazey depot and the Rocks china clay works at Goonbarrow Junction, which I believe is the only location where clay is loaded now.

Hope you don't mind me posting this one, admittedly going back to 2016, of 66 142 rounding the curve from St Blazey with the JIAs bound for Exeter Riverside and then on to the potteries!

IMG_2858.JPG.a11fa630389d5aafe178c7d4bbeca4e2.JPG

Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info and for the picture, just what I need for reference, especially things like the Ballast colour and Track weathering, and also the Buffer Stop. 

Although mine is NOT based on any particular prototype, its just the general feel for the area that I like and can see in this picture.

Much appreciated.:good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Double headed 37s made in into the 21st century, but only by a short time.

They would, I *think* just about fit in with the Wessex liveried 153s and the Alphaline branded 158s.

I'm thinking 2016 to now, so yes, just  about in EWS.:good:

Moving along nicely there Andy. Nice sturdy g base ready for you to start your 'magic'. 

Oh and remember that a good plan will change to suit the circumstances. So when the circumstances change the plan does as well.

Edited by Winslow Boy
BL...y autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Moving along nicely there Andy. Nice stuffing base ready for you to start your 'magic'. 

Oh and remember that a good plan will change to suit the circumstances. So when the circumstances change the plan does as well.

Dr Beeching is due a visit on Friday, I wonder what Plans he has in mind.:o

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'm thinking 2016 to now, so yes, just  about in EWS.:good:

There was a rumour about five or six years ago, that Colas Rail were seeking to acquire the china clay contract, potentially having three or four Class 37s in Cornwall for it.  Obviously it didn't come to anything (whether it was just rumour or not I dont know - as DB Cargo UK/DB Schenker/EWS* (delete as per timescale!) own the CDA hoppers what they would have used for wagons could have been interesting ... but if you need some incentive, you could always assume that DB lost the contract and Colas won it ... and you've got your 37s back! :)

Rich

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

There was a rumour about five or six years ago, that Colas Rail were seeking to acquire the china clay contract, potentially having three or four Class 37s in Cornwall for it.  Obviously it didn't come to anything (whether it was just rumour or not I dont know - as DB Cargo UK/DB Schenker/EWS* (delete as per timescale!) own the CDA hoppers what they would have used for wagons could have been interesting ... but if you need some incentive, you could always assume that DB lost the contract and Colas won it ... and you've got your 37s back! :)

Rich

Yes, and I already have a Colas 37, there would be nothing wrong with adding an EWS one to the mix, RULE 1:dancer:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LBRJ said:

The Chapel Siding is level but I have to disagree regarding the branch. It definitely falls from Par to St Blazey. At its steepest the gradient is 1 in 56 according to Network Rail's track gradients database, although not for very far.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2