Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

9 hours ago, Donw said:

I like the and the change of location. Watching the video it did feel rather like the route between Southampton and Portsmouth. I used ttravel that regularly when I was project managing the closure of the Portmouth Computer centre. All them watery bits seemed just right. 

Don    

ps keep posting them cakes and you will find me knocking on your door :nono:

Cheers Don, When the idea first came into my Head, I wasn't sure the Estuary would still work, but looking at the Hamble, Itchen, and the area around Poole and Hamworthy, I can just justify it. 

Plus of course Rule 1.:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thoroughly approve of the change in location! But you do need one of these.

Feature_3.jpg.752ff64c78197baa6a9f564e0d6e4002.jpg

This was a home brewed livery change with transfers printed on Crafty Decal paper, so I can let you have all the artwork to produce the transfers if you wanted to have a go at one.

Also are you coming to the SHMRC Exhibition on 20th November, God willing it is all going ahead and has some nice layouts.

SHMRC Exhibition details.

I still cannot believe after all these years how quickly you build layouts!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, kipford said:

Andy

Thoroughly approve of the change in location! But you do need one of these.

Feature_3.jpg.752ff64c78197baa6a9f564e0d6e4002.jpg

This was a home brewed livery change with transfers printed on Crafty Decal paper, so I can let you have all the artwork to produce the transfers if you wanted to have a go at one.

Also are you coming to the SHMRC Exhibition on 20th November, God willing it is all going ahead and has some nice layouts.

SHMRC Exhibition details.

I still cannot believe after all these years how quickly you build layouts!

Hi Dave, Brilliant job on the 158, it looks superb, but no, that sort of work is not in my league I'm afraid, plus I'm out of funds at the moment for any more toys.:laugh:

I hope to get along to the Show, I had a look on the UK Modellers Exhibition page at the Layouts and Traders the other day, hopefully I'll see you there, I WILL be hiding behind a mask.:spiteful: like Dick Turpin.

My next Project is an idea PINCHED from Brighton East, but Souf London Based, as I have the Low Relief Art Deco Station Building that came with the Capital Commuter Set. I could not believe Rails were doing the Set for £167.50 when everywhere else wants more, without the £40 Building.

I have room under Bute Road for about 8 or 9 ft x 1 or 1.5ft.:dancer:

That WILL be 3rd Rail

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

they were a pain for the guards on the London services if it was raining as they got a bit wet ;)  They looked good though!

Was it the wet guards or the units that looked good?

Seriously tough, that's a great image.  I meet so many people that consider 'modern image' to be too dull and uniform compared to the BR steam era ... I may need to redirect them here and to your flickr stream.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Fair enough, but I have no doubt you could do it, it is just a bit fiddly putting the black bands on the yellow doors and cutting the large Ginsters transfers around the body jacking points, I got through about 3 sets doing this! But when you print your own the costs are marginal. I also used the cheapest running original Bachmann 158 unit from ebay I could find.  

When you get to the third rail on the 'New Layout' use Russ Elliot's treatise on all things third rail to lay it out properly, this is particularly important around the points. It can be found here:

Russ Elliot Third Rail Setting Out

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kipford said:

Andy

Fair enough, but I have no doubt you could do it, it is just a bit fiddly putting the black bands on the yellow doors and cutting the large Ginsters transfers around the body jacking points, I got through about 3 sets doing this! But when you print your own the costs are marginal. I also used the cheapest running original Bachmann 158 unit from ebay I could find.  

When you get to the third rail on the 'New Layout' use Russ Elliot's treatise on all things third rail to lay it out properly, this is particularly important around the points. It can be found here:

Russ Elliot Third Rail Setting Out

Cheers DAVE, i was looking at the ones at Eastleigh, and luckily there is no set spacing for the Rail supports, some are at 3 sleepers, and some go to 5 or 6, so its a bit of modellers Licence for that by the looks of it.. I already have some code 55 Rail from when I tried it once before, (and FAILED) but hey ho, I'll give it a go on the small project.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy

There are rules on where to place the rail supports, but there is tolerance within that, hence the differences you have noticed. The secret to successful third rail is to plan where it goes and use a jig to drill the holes for the conductor supports. If you want I can easily machine one up for you. Another tip is to blacken the rail using Casey Birchwood Brass Black before threading the conductor supports on to give a good base coat before painting in situ. Pikkie below shows the plan I made of scissors crossing area of Brighton.1021622426_ThirdRailSupportsRHSide.jpg.79610956087aec0ac045904bbf5b1faa.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, kipford said:

Andy

There are rules on where to place the rail supports, but there is tolerance within that, hence the differences you have noticed. The secret to successful third rail is to plan where it goes and use a jig to drill the holes for the conductor supports. If you want I can easily machine one up for you. Another tip is to blacken the rail using Casey Birchwood Brass Black before threading the conductor supports on to give a good base coat before painting in situ. Pikkie below shows the plan I made of scissors crossing area of Brighton.1021622426_ThirdRailSupportsRHSide.jpg.79610956087aec0ac045904bbf5b1faa.jpg

Thanks Dave, that looks useful, it won't for a while yet, I need to spend some more dough on here before buying the Timber, Track and Points etc for the next adventure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Dave, that looks useful, it won't for a while yet, I need to spend some more dough on here before buying the Timber, Track and Points etc for the next adventure. 

That'll be towards the end of next week then will it Mr P.

• Funny 3

I've recently joined this Facebook Group, and the quality of some of the workmanship is superb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2112464019039021?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=3411059859179424

Remind you of anyone on here.

image.png.be25df2b7ec7ec2a2aeba6fd69f226a3.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I was off the web for a couple of days and come back to all change at Bute Road. I think your passenger stock looks brilliant and the change you have decided on is inspired. Onwards and upwards!

Cheers

David

Thanks DAVID, A couple of days is a like a lifetime in Bute Road time.:laugh: don't turn around, it might change again. :D

That WAS a joke in case people jump on it saying I'm going all LNER on you. :notme::nono::scared::banghead::devil:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks DAVID, A couple of days is a like a lifetime in Bute Road time.:laugh: don't turn around, it might change again. :D

That WAS a joke in case people jump on it saying I'm going all LNER on you. :notme::nono::scared::banghead::devil:

Don't take this personally -  but I don't believe you.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Don't take this personally -  but I don't believe you.

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I agree, your lack of enthusiasm to lay third rail on Bute Road tells us this is just a phase and you'll be back to steam engines in a month.

Sorry Guys, I really don't understand why you have no faith in my statements, its not as if I occasionally change my mind, or direction of travel, now is it! :laugh: :laugh::laugh::notme:

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Loved the last video Andy, I'll look forward to seeing the change of direction of Bute Road. Your new project sounds good too, there's a lot of atmosphere in the south London 3rd rail trains, that would suit the Blue/Grey 4CEP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sb67 said:

Loved the last video Andy, I'll look forward to seeing the change of direction of Bute Road. Your new project sounds good too, there's a lot of atmosphere in the south London 3rd rail trains, that would suit the Blue/Grey 4CEP.

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you liked the Video, and yes 2 and 4 Car Electrics souf of the water will be a complete change for me, i.e. not Rural.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1