Warley National Model Exhibition 2021 - Cancelled

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Having your foot run over by a wheelie suitcase full of Bachmann locos?

Oh yes good point, forgot

‘Trampled in the scramble for the Bachmann returns stand’

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Could somebody remind them to update their website and post this information on social media, then, as if you check there you will still get the impression that everything is going ahead.

• Administrators

Nigel Smith, on behalf of the exhibition committee has at 4pm today issued the following: Statement About The 2021 Warley National Model Railway Exhibition

Warley Model Railway Club is sorry to announce that the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2021 at the NEC has been cancelled.

Despite the lifting of many COVID restrictions the ongoing perception of risk means there are too many uncertainties to deliver a successful event in 2021.

The exhibition team's unanimous decision was to cancel this year's exhibition and rebook for 2022 in the hope that things are more positive in the model railway world. Warley Model Railway Club and the NEC have worked together successfully for many years to deliver a quality experience for both visitors and exhibitors and we aim to maintain these standards for future events.

While disappointing we feel this is the best option in the current climate. However, we have booked the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC on 26-27 November 2022 and look forward to staging our world leading model railway event again then.

Nigel Smith. Exhibition Manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, PMP said:

Well that’s saved me tons of money. I won’t have to pay extortionate entry fees, car park fees, cups of tea fees, and horrendous sandwich prices. My health will be immeasurably improved as I won’t be injured by flexitrack in people’s bags stabbing me in the eyes, and blunt trauma injuries from excessive sized backpacks. The only problem I have is won’t be able to see if I’ve tested positive for COVID, as my sense of smell won’t be getting a work out. 

Have I missed anything?

It doesn't sound like you enjoy it, so why do you go?

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Thats a shame, although understandable  . I think the Great electric Trainshow is still going ahead though .That might be the tester to see how big shows are attended .  Just hope Model Rail Scotland in Feb 2022 is OK . Not much of a gap in time for "perception of risk" to change .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Thats a shame, although understandable  . I think the Great electric Trainshow is still going ahead though .That might be the tester to see how big shows are attended .  Just hope Model Rail Scotland in Feb 2022 is OK . Not much of a gap in time for "perception of risk" to change .

GETS does now feel like a tester for the larger exhibitions - no BRM exhibitions till Feb 22, no Warley and no Wigan(NHS using the site).  That said there is surprisingly little information about what is on at the show and the visitor page comes up with access denied, I suspect the planning is still under way and with Warley gone might they also be considering if it is worth pressing ahead?

Is Doncaster the first big one of 2022, Model Rail Scotland is scheduled at the end of February.

It all does feel appropriate though, I was already pondering Warley after having decided I didn't fancy going to TINGS, the thought of 2 hours each way in a Cross Country sardine can train the main issue for me.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, PMP said:

Well that’s saved me tons of money. I won’t have to pay extortionate entry fees, car park fees, cups of tea fees, and horrendous sandwich prices. 

I usually visit my local model shop on the Warley weekend, & spend the money I saved not going to Warley there instead. :yes:

Did I miss anything?

Getting your ankles rammed by an ignorant old goat on a mobility scooter.... oh no, hang on, that was at Telford Guildex. :mad_mini:  :banghead:

• Funny 2

Very disappointing news when one thinks people are now packing into football and cricket stadiums, not to mention snooker  venues, theatres and nightclubs.

I suppose any model club has to be careful not too expose itself too much with cancellation costs but it's a shame there isn't a way to protect against this through deals with venues, stakeholders and insurance. Model manufacturers surely have a massive incentive for these events to go ahead and perhaps ought to do more to share the risks.  Warley is practically the Olympics of the hobby.

• Round of applause 1

34 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

'Ongoing perception of risk' is an interesting way of phrasing it!

Sums it up well to me. The actual level of risk of infection is now probably much lower than people’s perception of it. The cancellation seems due to people remaining cautious and not wanting to attend, so it is an ongoing perception of risk that is behind the cancellation. 

I had been planning on attending TINGS next month but unless they publicise what safety measures they will have in place I’ll be passing as I remain very cautious.

Had Warley put any measures in place or just business as usual? If the latter then I’m not surprised it’s being cancelled.

David

• RMweb Gold

the actual level of risk of infection is now probably much lower than people’s perception of it. The cancellation seems due to people remaining cautious and not wanting to attend

and perhaps that sort of caution finally sinking in is why the first part is true?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Most of the replies have been from the perspective of the paying public, we need to remember that all the commercial stall holders will be required to carry out a risk assessment and then have suitable  mitigation in place. Having carried out many of these in my previous career I certainly would not feel happy about have staff in the halls at Warley for the whole of the event. I would guess that much of the income over the weekend comes from stall fees so one of the risks would be that traders were not present.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, MyRule1 said:

Most of the replies have been from the perspective of the paying public, we need to remember that all the commercial stall holders will be required to carry out a risk assessment and then have suitable  mitigation in place. Having carried out many of these in my previous career I certainly would not feel happy about have staff in the halls at Warley for the whole of the event. I would guess that much of the income over the weekend comes from stall fees so one of the risks would be that traders were not present.

And the same for exhibitors finding enough people to populate their layouts.

Put the three risks together and you get a nervous exhibition manager, with big exhibitions at national exhibition centres come big risks, if you have a get out clause and you perceive a risk to the viability of the exhibition you get out while you can for the least financial impact.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

41 minutes ago, fezza said:

I suppose any model club has to be careful not too expose itself too much with cancellation costs but it's a shame there isn't a way to protect against this through deals with venues, stakeholders and insurance. Model manufacturers surely have a massive incentive for these events to go ahead and perhaps ought to do more to share the risks.

Likewise they have similar risks and some smaller traders see it as a loss leader to spark later interest. One or two people can only serve a limited number of customers in a weekend from a 6' stand, with higher costs for the weekend over other shows.

Conversely tho, are the timed product announcements really that important....? The XX thousand people who see your banner and are aware you're producing a new Great Up and Down Railway Ferret class Decapod are only a small proportion of the hobby and a well timed internet campaign is more noticeable.

41 minutes ago, fezza said:

Warley is practically the Olympics of the hobby.

That sounds like another institution that has lost its way, it's been going downhill since Bedworth (*Beduff) came 54th in 2016 and Olympic Skateboarding makes it sound like a cheap version of Its a Knockout....

18 minutes ago, 298 said:
1 hour ago, fezza said:

Warley is practically the Olympics of the hobby.

That sounds like another institution that has lost its way, it's been going downhill since Bedworth (*Beduff) came 54th in 2016 and Olympic Skateboarding makes it sound like a cheap version of Its a Knockout....

As Des Lynam said when the USA introduced Beach Volleyball for the Olympics...

"Going down the Pub is not yet an Olympic Event."

• Funny 2