Forum slow to load, internal links too.

• RMweb Premium

PLease note this is not a 'Rant' , but hopefully informative for Andy Y and the Mods who have my ongoing sympathy for all they're having to deal with at the moment.

After a day of relative normality yesterday, I'm sorry to say I'm finding that RMWeb i really out of control for me this morning. Ignoring the known 'slow response' issue, the most significant problem was while posting in a topic where I made my usual quota of typing errors. When back keying and correcting errors, the reply box closed, the screen scrolled variously to another topic or another post in the same topic. When I re positioned the cursor and opened the 'reply to topic' again my text up to the point where I made the error was present (including the uncorrected error) and I had to repeat the correction and further text I'd keyed before things went haywire. This happened several times in succession 

Then when trying to select this topic to post this, the system (a system?) seemed determined that I'd not be able to access, the screen switching between other topics. Then when I did manage to get to this topic, I instantly got error 524. 

Windows 10 laptop MS Edge.

Regards, 

John

• RMweb Gold

Using the site has been like wading through treacle for the past week or so. It was the same this morning...

Until 11.25, when it suddenly sped up again! (For me anyway. I hope everyone is seeing the same thing.)

10 minutes later and it's still OK. There are some delays but it's perfectly usable. Fingers crossed it stays like this!

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

'Load more activity' sends me back to the top of the page.
I also note the 'back to the top' arrow is missing.

You may need to do a browser refresh; I got the arrow sorted yesterday afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

Andy - we know you love this 17- year-old baby with all your heart. I hope someone somewhere sees the light soon - for your sake as much as anyone else's. It is not healthy to be grinding your teeth on a daily basis. 

Bon courage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It is not healthy to be grinding your teeth on a daily basis. 

. . . . . . or pulling your hair out - Oh hang on a minute, some of us remember you doing that years ago when we had a self funded site that often disappeared for days at a time. You got that sorted and I'm sure you'll get the current difficulties sorted as well . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had an unusual occurence when trying to edit a post that I had already been posted, to add some extra text.

When I selected "edit" the post changed to edit mode but completely devoid of any content, it was missing all the text and a hotlink to a youtube page.

I cancelled, waited a couple of minutes and tried again and this time it worked perfectly.

Sometimes, recently, I have found that when saving a post it appears to be saving, sits there for maybe 3 or 4 minutes and goes back to "Submit Reply" and the post hasn't been submitted.

It has happened on an odd accasion in the past but has occured several times recently.

Hit "Submit Reply" again and it does it straight away.

It's just done it again in another topic.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Site is a bit better at present, but still tempermental. One issue I've not seen mentioned is that it is often slower when using the browser 'back' button.

Hope that helps, all the very best in getting this sorted

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Andy - we know you love this 17- year-old baby with all your heart. I hope someone somewhere sees the light soon - for your sake as much as anyone else's. It is not healthy to be grinding your teeth on a daily basis. 

Bon courage.

Andy's dentist isn't complaining.

Edited by 2mmMark

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

RMWeb had a bit of an identity crisis this morning!

1882223575_rmwebidentitycrisis.jpg.29cb7439a8d69a69649081b743fc0ed1.jpg

Now that the dust has settled a bit (famous last words...) I thought I'd share this for a bit of light relief.

A couple of days ago, a page stopped loading and froze with the banner message ending simply: "Please be patient and don't        ".

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ColinK said:

Could it be that these annoying ‘testing’ videos are slowing things down.  They have been running for a long time now so isn’t it time they were removed? 

I've previously explained the underlying problem is nothing to do with the ads. 

• RMweb Premium

I would like to assure all those that would like to complain about ads. and vids. that I am seeing the same slowness here at work, where the company firewall blocks all ads. (and some sites).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/01/2022 at 12:45, AY Mod said:

The hosting provider have been hopeless/evasive when it's obviously a connection to server/ read issue and it's at the stage where I'm trying to get further support within the business as the current staff haven't got the experience of the platform and software.

I am surprised the server hosts havent been booted out in favour of a provider that can adequately support the site.  Or at least been threatened that is what is going to happen. :)

Edited by Night Train
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I am surprised the server hosts havent been booted out in favour of a provider that can adequately support the site.  Or at least been threatened that is what is going to happen. :)

Armchair expert alert.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit more complicated than going to Uswitch and clicking on another host.

Although it's still a bit slow I haven't had any 5xx errors for a few days.

• Friendly/supportive 1