4mm Ford Y

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

Sometime ago, I chanced upon a manufacturer of ‘30s autos, it was not Scalelink or John Day, on offer was a Ford Y. Unfortunately, bookmarking the site on a iPhone was beyond my ability and the opportunity was lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a range of white metal cars and vans, all Fords of the 30's IIRC. The bodies were cast in one piece which made assembly easier. They produced the Model Y in saloon, van and pick-up styles. I can't remember the name of the maker now.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/08/2021 at 09:39, Jack Benson said:

spacer.png

Sometime ago, I chanced upon a manufacturer of ‘30s autos, it was not Scalelink or John Day, on offer was a Ford Y. Unfortunately, bookmarking the site on a iPhone was beyond my ability and the opportunity was lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stay Safe

This might have been Varney models (Jim Varney) who did a range of car kits in the 1970/80's.

They do turn up from time to time on 2nd hand stalls.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

On 11/08/2021 at 11:23, PhilJ W said:

There used to be a range of white metal cars and vans, all Fords of the 30's IIRC. The bodies were cast in one piece which made assembly easier. They produced the Model Y in saloon, van and pick-up styles. I can't remember the name of the maker now.

I have a vague memory the bodies of the cars being cast in brass, but I might be wrong.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

This might have been Varney models (Jim Varney) who did a range of car kits in the 1970/80's.

They do turn up from time to time on 2nd hand stalls.

All the best

Ray

The Varney models* didn't have one-piece bodies (at least in the 4mm scale range).

* a.k.a. Transport Replicas

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I had a feeling Oxford had made one at one point - I think my father has one on his layout as it was his first car.

Oxford have never made one.  There was a series of 00 white metal kits produced about twenty years ago with one piece bodies of the Ford Models A and Y but I cannot remember who made them.  There was two and four door versions of the Y plus a van and pick up, and possibly a roadster. They were quite easy to build with a vac formed glazing unit. The model A was only made as commercial vehicles IIRC. As well as the usual flat and dropside trucks I seem to recall a dustcart and breakdown truck.

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Oxford have never made one.  There was a series of 00 white metal kits produced about twenty years ago with one piece bodies of the Ford Models A and Y but I cannot remember who made them.  There was two and four door versions of the Y plus a van and pick up, and possibly a roadster. They were quite easy to build with a vac formed glazing unit. The model A was only made as commercial vehicles IIRC. As well as the usual flat and dropside trucks I seem to recall a dustcart and breakdown truck.

Originally in John Day's Railside, or Malvern Models ranges, later re-released in the John Day Vehicle Scenics range. Still available from Daryle Toney's "John Day Models" - see the website. Another range which includes them is Dave Gilbert's DG Autocraft Models, Google "DG Models" for a look at the range.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi Guys,

If I may interrupt, the original of the kit was revealed on this thread by Wellyboots on 11th August ‘21

Click here

StaySafe

You may indeed! I hadn't looked that far back on the topic, but appear to have repeated that information, plus added another known (and currently available) source of Model Y Fords in miniature......

• Like 1