Hattons trunk service restriction

MikeB

• RMweb Premium

In fact, just to finish the point, if you and your company trust your stock control - which these days you should be able to - the only time that having allocated stock on the shelf alongside free stock becomes a problem is when you're doing a physical stock taking, as Hattons are preparing for now. 

Unless the person doing the counting in the warehouse location has the details to hand (which they're not supposed to have in a physical stock take), it's most likely quite unclear to them visually as to what's free and what's allocated stock.  That's why Hattons want to ship all the trunk contents before they start on the stock take, to get rid of everything from the bin locations that might pollute the count.

Pete T.

• Like 1

I also work in the supply chain industry. My job is optimising warehousing processes for the Australian and APAC sites one of the world's biggest players in the industry. Thousands of items an hour for an individual operator is optimistic in what is primarily a manual unit pick scenario. It obviously depends upon what you are picking though. By manual, I mean the operator physically going to the pick location, grabbing one (maybe two or three occasionally) and putting it in a tote for packing. You can speed it up a bit using a pick cart to pick multiple totes in one pass, which is probably one way I would implement such an operation, but I doubt Hatton's warehouse is  automated to the extent where you can get four digit pick rates. It depends how much labour is thrown at it.

If they have a warehouse management system that's any good - and I'm certain they do - it's doing what is a pack and hold type scenario. They confirm the items into your trunk when it is picked - they have to pick it and put it in your trunk otherwise there is a very real risk of mis-picks later on - and the system tracks what is in your trunk. Then when the time comes to ship the contents of your trunk, they would also scan it out to confirm what they have picked from there. After all, you may choose to not ship everything in your trunk. 

One of the earlier posters said it doesn't save any time - they are right - it adds time for the warehouse because they have to double-handle the goods - but accuracy in these scenarios are more important than speed. Hatton's believe the value added by offering this service outweighs the cost of the double handling and I agree with them. It's a brilliant facility to have when you live on the other side of the world from them. I make extensive use of it for pre-orders, as do many I expect.

• Like 2

Not all warehouses work the same though.

I've worked in two that had completely different picking techniques.

But what we're saying is that if Hatton's isn't actually picking Item 1 from the box of Item 1's and putting it in a "trunk" elsewhere, then their system is rubbish because it could be picked and sold to someone else?  Even though you've already paid for it?  I wouldn't think that's a good idea.

If they move Item 1 to another area of the warehouse in a "trunk", then surely it's sold stock simply being stored in the warehouse.  Does this need to be audited?

Surely the system will know what's been trunked and what hasn't?

Although all this is just guess work unless @Hattons Dave decides to tell us how it works a bit more.

I'm not sure I understand the point in the whole system if you can buy something (meaning Hattons get your money in their bank NOW) but when you ask for it to be shipped a little later (which isn't unusual with things like sofas - being able to delay delivery by a year or more), then they say it's no longer available?  If the trunk system isn't reliable, is there much point?

37 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Not all warehouses work the same though.

I've worked in two that had completely different picking techniques.

But what we're saying is that if Hatton's isn't actually picking Item 1 from the box of Item 1's and putting it in a "trunk" elsewhere, then their system is rubbish because it could be picked and sold to someone else?  Even though you've already paid for it?  I wouldn't think that's a good idea.

If they move Item 1 to another area of the warehouse in a "trunk", then surely it's sold stock simply being stored in the warehouse.  Does this need to be audited?

Surely the system will know what's been trunked and what hasn't?

Although all this is just guess work unless @Hattons Dave decides to tell us how it works a bit more.

I'm not sure I understand the point in the whole system if you can buy something (meaning Hattons get your money in their bank NOW) but when you ask for it to be shipped a little later (which isn't unusual with things like sofas - being able to delay delivery by a year or more), then they say it's no longer available?  If the trunk system isn't reliable, is there much point?

Why does it matter if Hattons get the money in their bank now?  

The whole point of the system is that they are giving us the option of holding items we buy, at their risk, until we've built up enough for either free postage, or when we decide to have the items sent to us with a single postage charge.

The Trunk service is very reliable, I've probably bought close to 100 items using it, shipped in a few batches and nothing has been missing.  The other folk I know who use it have had nothing missing.  Of course mistakes can happen and the odd item can be mis-sold, but that can happen with anything, at any time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Totally agree - the trunk system is very reliable. Whilst you could physically separate the trunk stock from the available stock, space may not allow that. There are lots of ways it can be managed - it may well be that theyy don't physically segregate the stock but their computer system manages the allocations, so if there are three units of say, a Mark 1 SK coach in the storage bin, but one is already allocated to somebody's trunk, the system recognises that only two are available for allocation to other orders. 

Having re-read what PJT said earlier, it may well be that this is the case and then it makes a lot of sense to ship out trunk items ahead of a stock take - the person counting the stock has no obvious means of knowing which is available and which isn't. 

• Like 2

I use this option now since it was offered last year, only one time it happened that a very ,very tiny item could not been found.

I got a refund for that.

Think I have since then over 20 trunk shipments, and must say , it works fantastic.

Large orders like loco's and other large items if they are costly, I let it ship directly, no trunk use then.

I'm living in the Netherlands, and before this option was available every small item I had to shipped directly at the minimum cost of 4,- pound R.M.

So a pre owned wagon could cost sometime half the price more only for shipping.

Now I put all the small items , pre owned etc. in my trunk, and when I think it is enough to ship I order to ship my trunk content with DPD by 

road for only 7,- pound up to 3 kilograms, and sometime I put other things I want to it,  to fill my trunk and ship then.

But I keep for myself a maxium of 3-4 weeks to empty my trunk, no longer, because I like this trunk option and would be disappointed if 

this service was ended because trunks are not emptied over a very long period.

I had no problem with it , to ship my trunk content, because Hattons had to do an inventory, I know how that works, and everything that not belongs to the stock have to go.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 26/08/2021 at 01:03, Sir TophamHatt said:

More than likely yes, especially as it's a new aspect to the audit. Not only are Hattons liable for any shortfalls in the trunk stock, but trunk items could be used to cover shortfalls in the stock count. 

On 25/08/2021 at 23:47, JohnR said:

My beef is that when I get an email from Hattons to say something on my wishlist has arrived, when I click on the link, its not showing as in stock. 

Surely everyone else who has the item on their wishlist would also receive an instock email.  If you are not quick enough to be first in then whose fault is that,  surely not Hattons?     Do you think that the email personally reserves the item for you?

Surely the Hattons trunk is a virtual storage where "trunk" items are digitally deducted from available stock but not actually picked.    Wharehouse storage space is a premium cost and a store is highly unlikely to physically supply "trunk" space simply to save a customer a little cash in shipping costs.

Surely this could be resolved very simply?

'Trunk until', and various options are presented, which could be ..

'After 3 months we will send out a reminder, but will start storage costs at £-.-- / calendar week (or month)', for example.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I think you have missed the immediate point Al, which is the stock check.  The request o empty trunks is based on a specific date and not how long materials have been in the trunk.

As on who has had to organise stock checks, delivering materials on order but not yet dispatched is a key to "simplifying" the stock check*.  It removes all ambiguity of what the stock on the premises is and who it belongs to. 

*A stock check is never simple.  It can be horrendously complicated however.  Got the T shirt.

Going into the future suggestions such as yours might be  pertinent but that is for Hattons to decide.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m surprised that to date it’s only Hatton’s operating this system.

Given I live in Spain, it’s very handy to pop things into the trunk and wait for other items to come into stock.

A couple of weeks ago I pre ordered some Rapido wagons from Rails and asked them if the operate a trunk. Sadly the answer was no!

• Like 1

I find the Hatton's trunk operation and service excellent. It saves me a great deal of money on couriers, especially important here as our post office became inoperative over the last few years.

By the way, they kept my trunk "live" over their recent accounting excercise, understanding the situation I have. Nearly time to have it shipped now though, as it is getting to the point that the shipping costs will be optimal. Another one or two items and the shipping cost will be too high.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I like the Hattons service and have used it for a few things, being in the Colonies it is useful to save on postage costs.  I have noticed that some of the smaller traders are happy to hold a couple of items for a short time if you are waiting for another item, others don't want to get involved with that.  That is their choice, as it is mine to decide whether I wish to place my order with them.

• Agree 1

A week ago there were only 4 of the Legacy railjoiners in stock so i put these in my trunk , a few days later there were another three, so put this also in my trunk.

And yesterday i added an Oxford Rail building and another small item to my trunk and shipped it with DPD on road for only 7,- pound.

Total weight was about 800 grams.

If i had to ship this three times, it would have cost me more than 12,- pound, so this is an great option.

And shipping with DPD on road will only take a few days, if it was shipped with Royal Mail, it take at least 10 days, did it once a while  ago, but not anymore, because I got a invoice to pay VAT, not happening if shipped with DPD.

So i stick from now on with DPD, and very great option from Hattons.

Another thing is, if ordering from Hattons always you can choose several options for shipping and you always know how much it will cost.

Shipping from Rails of S, I never know how much i have to pay for shipping and with who it is shipped. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just a shout out for the brilliant service offered by Hattons trunk service.   It works perfectly for international buyers.  Of late I have been using the service quite a bit.  With Royal Mail pricing in many cases exceeding the cost of using DHL or DPD courier/freight company prices,  I have been adding to my trunk each time to get the maximum amount/weight within a specific weight range.  In many cases if the weight of goods purchased has just entered the next weight range then several items may be added for no extra weight cost.  Maybe not so important for local UK purchasers but for international customers the trunk has saved me a lot in postage costs.

When I feel that I have achieved the maximum number of items in my trunk (within weight considerations),  I then process my order and empty the trunk making it ready for a new round of purchases.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully agree, the trunk service is an absolutely wonderful idea and it does result in my buying firstly from Hattons, whenever possible. In fact, I wish that Hattons would have a wider range of product, in order that I may buy more from them than I do.

It would be a huge bonus if Hattons also supplied Zimo decoders, Fox Transfers and Graham Farish, as well as Bachspares, Peters Spares and Dapol spares.

Something else that enhances the trunk service is the special relationship they have with DHL, who themselves are first choice for South Africa, for many reasons, but especially the local Postnet service, which has largely replaced the, largely defunct, Post Office here. This is very important to us here, as we cannot trust the Post Office to successfully deliver at all and, when they do, it takes a couple of days to get into their system and then another three months or more to arrive, if you are very lucky.

But the DHL pricing with Hattons is guaranteed to be a lower price than from any other supplier using DHL and always less than any other courier price from other model suppliers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/07/2022 at 00:13, Brian-1c said:

I fully agree, the trunk service is an absolutely wonderful idea and it does result in my buying firstly from Hattons, whenever possible. In fact, I wish that Hattons would have a wider range of product, in order that I may buy more from them than I do.

It would be a huge bonus if Hattons also supplied Zimo decoders, Fox Transfers and Graham Farish, as well as Bachspares, Peters Spares and Dapol spares.

Something else that enhances the trunk service is the special relationship they have with DHL, who themselves are first choice for South Africa, for many reasons, but especially the local Postnet service, which has largely replaced the, largely defunct, Post Office here. This is very important to us here, as we cannot trust the Post Office to successfully deliver at all and, when they do, it takes a couple of days to get into their system and then another three months or more to arrive, if you are very lucky.

But the DHL pricing with Hattons is guaranteed to be a lower price than from any other supplier using DHL and always less than any other courier price from other model suppliers.

Glad to hear that - I work for DHL (albeit on the Supply Chain side, not freight forwarding!).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Nile said:

Looks like Hatton's are having another Trunk clear-out ahead of the xmas period. Auto-despatching will start from 8th November.

Hopefully timed to include the next batch of Genesis Coaches (LBSCR, SR, LNER) 😀

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Nile said:

Looks like Hatton's are having another Trunk clear-out ahead of the xmas period. Auto-despatching will start from 8th November.

Uh-oh!  How many of us could get busted now?

(So much easier for a parcel to arrive unnoticed during the December run-up to Christmas: Hattons’ website quotes a later date for auto-shipping, before the January stocktake.  And for those of us with late-November birthdays who’ll of course only be spending our birthday money in December after we’ve been given it…😟)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Full confession
  • Funny 3