Jump to content

Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, proton said:

I have just started following this topic, so perhaps this has been discussed: what do I do with my Lima Mark 2Bs?  Basket cases I suppose....

 

PBM

 

 

Hi @proton,

 

If they still bring you joy and happiness, then that's all that matters, right? However, if you want an all new era model upgrade with correct length coaches, interior lighting, flush glazing, better detail and fidelity all round then we can help you out. 

 

The great thing about new era models coming out is that it gives the modeller more choice. More choice is always better. 

 

With that said, these are beautiful coaches. But then again, I'm a tad biased! 

 

Cheers!

 

Fran 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it has been suggested on here, but a rake of the blue/grey mk2s being pulled about on various railtours (UK railtours I think it is) along with the generator coach would be a great idea IMO. Gets used with all sorts of locos all over the place so most of us interested recent/present day would be able to justify it.

 

51709054784_9c7c48cf5d_b.jpg

 

A quick Flickr search suggests 50s ,66s, 67s and 90s have been used with them so far.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully in the near future we won't have to enlarge the window apertures of an Airfix Mk2D in order to make a Mk2C coach.

 

You still get a great sense of achievement by having to do it though:

291026653_Mk2CTSOandBSO.jpg.4d010fabee3e38d4ec2a18d3a1a1d1f6.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flood said:

Hopefully in the near future we won't have to enlarge the window apertures of an Airfix Mk2D in order to make a Mk2C coach.

 

You still get a great sense of achievement by having to do it though:

291026653_Mk2CTSOandBSO.jpg.4d010fabee3e38d4ec2a18d3a1a1d1f6.jpg

 

A have a few detailed Lima, and one Airfix based 2C

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

 

Hi @proton,

 

If they still bring you joy and happiness, then that's all that matters, right? However, if you want an all new era model upgrade with correct length coaches, interior lighting, flush glazing, better detail and fidelity all round then we can help you out. 

 

The great thing about new era models coming out is that it gives the modeller more choice. More choice is always better. 

 

With that said, these are beautiful coaches. But then again, I'm a tad biased! 

 

Cheers!

 

Fran 

Thanks Fran!  The old Lima Mk 2Bs don't bring me any joy, they only represent a lot of work to be done, especially regarding the flush glazing and underframe details.  Off to the bin they go (preceded by Tri-ang and Trix Mk 1s)!  Thank you!

 

John

Edited by proton
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, proton said:

Thanks Fran!  The old Lima Mk 2Bs don't bring me any joy, they only represent a lot of work to be done, especially regarding the flush glazing and underframe details.  Off to the bin they go (preceded by Tri-ang and Trix Mk 1s)!  Thanks you!

 

John

I cannot believe you had to ask, surely you weren't expecting @Accurascale Fran to say they will all be perfectly matched :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to these, but I do find it a bit depressing that the reaction to a new superdetail model is for some to throw (literally or metaphorically) previous detailing efforts in the bin. 
Given the ubiquity and long life of these coaches I'm sure that many previous efforts warrant some continued use - I shall have to keep an eye in the bargain bins :D

  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I cannot believe you had to ask, surely you weren't expecting @Accurascale Fran to say they will all be perfectly matched :lol:

I haven't followed this thread actively, but no one else chirped up and said the LIMA coaches could easily be upgraded, for instance.  And how are we to know if we don't ask questions?

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, proton said:

I haven't followed this thread actively, but no one else chirped up and said the LIMA coaches could easily be upgraded, for instance.  And how are we to know if we don't ask questions?

Given the Lima ones are from the late 1970s, just slightly younger than the Hornby ones and this is an Accurascale product thread I don't think you would find anyone on here going, "I'll give them a miss and completely rebuild my Lima ones"

 

The general tone of this (and most Accurascale threads) will be that the product is welcome and eagerly anticipated as a major step up from any similar preceding model from any other manufacturer.  I'd have a look at their other products to gauge an idea just how big a step up the models are.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/12/2021 at 12:38, TomScrut said:

Not sure if it has been suggested on here, but a rake of the blue/grey mk2s being pulled about on various railtours (UK railtours I think it is) along with the generator coach would be a great idea IMO. Gets used with all sorts of locos all over the place so most of us interested recent/present day would be able to justify it.

 

51709054784_9c7c48cf5d_b.jpg

 

A quick Flickr search suggests 50s ,66s, 67s and 90s have been used with them so far.

 

I suspect there are quite a few differences between that genny car and a standard BFK - not least the bodyside grilles which replaced the windows and probably an exhaust port on the roof.  Then there are presumably fuel and coolant cocks for servicing the power unit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Covkid said:

 

I suspect there are quite a few differences between that genny car and a standard BFK - not least the bodyside grilles which replaced the windows and probably an exhaust port on the roof.  Then there are presumably fuel and coolant cocks for servicing the power unit.  

 

Yes it would have to be tooled specifically for that conversion I expect.

 

I think most of the coaches in the rake are Ds anyway which this release is not about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Covkid said:

 

I suspect there are quite a few differences between that genny car and a standard BFK - not least the bodyside grilles which replaced the windows and probably an exhaust port on the roof.  Then there are presumably fuel and coolant cocks for servicing the power unit.  

Northern Ireland Railways converted some Mk2b and c BFK coaches to generator brake firsts when the Hunslet locos were replaced with the GM built 111 class which didn't have electric train heating.  However, if I remember correctly they had 3 first class compartments, one having been sacrificed in the conversion, whereas the one in the railtour rake still retains four compartments.  Does that mean it's an ex Royal Train generator brake?

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

 

I suspect there are quite a few differences between that genny car and a standard BFK - not least the bodyside grilles which replaced the windows and probably an exhaust port on the roof.  Then there are presumably fuel and coolant cocks for servicing the power unit.  

There's a few modifications to the underframe too, including the huge fuel tank under there.

5 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Northern Ireland Railways converted some Mk2b and c BFK coaches to generator brake firsts when the Hunslet locos were replaced with the GM built 111 class which didn't have electric train heating.  However, if I remember correctly they had 3 first class compartments, one having been sacrificed in the conversion, whereas the one in the railtour rake still retains four compartments.  Does that mean it's an ex Royal Train generator brake?

Yep, ex Royal Train

 

Jo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought so, I couldn't think of any other Mk2 stock which had been converted over here as most other generator conversions were Mk1 BGs and the like, and I'm pretty sure the remaining NIR generator firsts were converted to full brakes for the ill fated ex Gatex train or scrapped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

As Irish Model Railways are doing the Mk2b BFK with a generator, I’m wondering if Accurascale would consider using the tooling to create Riviera Trains BFK 17105 in shabby blue or the recent repaint of blue/grey.

 

7D4D13DD-ED16-497B-BBA1-7D65C8754749.jpeg

6926E2C9-E767-47CB-920D-2C55322C93B3.jpeg

800C2A10-C89B-4612-92E8-1D425DC1CB0B.jpeg

6C6637FE-AC2D-42E8-AFC9-6EBB9B7409F7.jpeg

 

Edited by jools1959
Content
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

As Irish Model Railways are doing the Mk2b BFK with a generator, I’m wondering if Accurascale would consider using the tooling to create Riviera Trains BFK 17105 in shabby blue or the recent repaint of blue/grey.  They could also use the normal Mk2b BFK to create WCRC 99680 (17102).

 

7D4D13DD-ED16-497B-BBA1-7D65C8754749.jpeg

6926E2C9-E767-47CB-920D-2C55322C93B3.jpeg

800C2A10-C89B-4612-92E8-1D425DC1CB0B.jpeg

6C6637FE-AC2D-42E8-AFC9-6EBB9B7409F7.jpeg

CF4BDDAF-6C3A-41B2-839B-6DF81D4A8927.jpeg

Just what Tom Scrut suggested top of this page.

 

I'd buy it for my mk2 railtour rake.

 

Season's Greetings to all. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Just what Tom Scrut suggested top of this page.

 

I'd buy it for my mk2 railtour rake.

 

Season's Greetings to all. 


I’m aware of that, but I thought I’d reinforce the idea and add some additional pictures.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

They could also use the normal Mk2b BFK to create WCRC 99680 (17102).

 

 

 

 

CF4BDDAF-6C3A-41B2-839B-6DF81D4A8927.jpeg


Is this the same version of a mk2 coach Accurascale are producing ?

The door doesn’t wrap around on to the end in the pic, like it does on the model.

 

cheers,

Phil.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...