Lens of Sutton

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I am researching my Lancaster Green Ayre layout and recently saw two photos taken on the staiton platform that were credited to Lens of Sutton. These were in a museum collection and quite rightly I wan't allowed to copy them. Does anyone know who owns the copyright to the Lens collection and if it is still possible to obtian prints.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I am researching my Lancaster Green Ayre layout and recently saw two photos taken on the staiton platform that were credited to Lens of Sutton. These were in a museum collection and quite rightly I wan't allowed to copy them. Does anyone know who owns the copyright to the Lens collection and if it is still possible to obtian prints.

Jamie

Just pop 'Lens of Sutton' or 'Lens of Sutton Association' into google and all will be revealed.

• RMweb Premium

It's often a good idea to check something like this on Google first ;)

I did but the website is not very clear as to whther or not they ahve the complete archive.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I believe the entire (vast) collection amassed by Len over the years was sold or bequeathed as a single archive. Anyone who visited his shop will understand the substantial nature of this collection and would also have mourned his passing some years ago now.

They were at Warley last year, I imagine this year too, not sure what other shows they attend. But in any case your next step would be to obtain the relevant catalogue (LMR/stations?) from them to see what they have, may cost a pound or two but well worth it.

The service is good value, but turnround can be up to 8 weeks. I'm happy with what they've done for me though.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but has anyone had any dealings with 'Lens of Sutton Association' recently?

About three weeks ago I sent a cheque to the Lens of Sutton Association, at the Birmingham address shown on the Warwickshire Rilways website, for a list of photos for the GWR Stations Part 5 Bristol & Exeter but as yet have not heard back from them?

Are they still in exsistance?

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Resurrecting an old thread out of the ether, I'd like to ask the same question as DWS. I would like to get a copy of the GWR south west stations list to see what photos they have of Brent (and then to place an order for said photos)

Before I start posting cheques etc (or start searching for a cheque book), I'd like to confirm that the assiociation is still operating. Would be a lot easier if the list could be downloaded and I could just send an order for the photos...

I remember buying a load of photos a few years ago - from the same address as given above - but that was back in 2011.  Hopefully there is some more recent news than 2013.

Failing that, my advice would be to drop them a letter (with sae) asking whether they are still in business, and for "a list of lists".  It would be a great loss if this collection is no longer publicly available.

• RMweb Gold

I believe the entire (vast) collection amassed by Len over the years was sold or bequeathed as a single archive. Anyone who visited his shop will understand the substantial nature of this collection and would also have mourned his passing some years ago now.

Just noticed this post on revived thread. "Len" was actually John Smith. The shop was named after his former boss and was originally just a secondhand shop, not just railways and transport. But for all that, it is where, in the early 50s, my father picked up a Macaulay's railway map dating from the 1860s.

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread out of the ether, I'd like to ask the same question as DWS. I would like to get a copy of the GWR south west stations list to see what photos they have of Brent (and then to place an order for said photos)

Before I start posting cheques etc (or start searching for a cheque book), I'd like to confirm that the assiociation is still operating. Would be a lot easier if the list could be downloaded and I could just send an order for the photos...

Did you get anywhere with this?

I was hoping to order some photos from the Cumbrian Railways Association until I spotted the note that the Lens of Sutton listings had to be obtained elsewhere. The linked site is this one

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/about/lensofsutton.htm

but other than it giving a cheque address it doesn't say much. Do I use the CRA website's price and reference list, send a cheque off and hope for the best or is there another way?

Steve 

Archived