MR Johnson 1134 Class Saddle Tank yard shunting engine

k22009

• RMweb Gold

On with the chassis, all very straightforward i've added the fold up sandboxes and brake gear before being painted. Once dry i made up the high level roadrunner plus gearbox, mitsumi motor and gibson wheels with romford crankpins. As it's an 0-4-0 no trouble with quatering the wheels, added some pcb underneath along with pickups from phospher bronze wire. The mitsumi motors have holes at a different setting to the gearbox so i usually solder it on but in this case i fitted it with the fixing screws in the holes provided.

20210725_150845.jpg.0017eca446911728646747dccce1838b.jpg

20210725_150903.jpg.d24ab0119eab9924b78185d2e5bcb00a.jpg

Detailing next.

Edited by k22009
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is looking very good - they are nice little locomotives. I have a K's version, built by myself in 1976 "as K's intended", & still going strong, many Exhibitions later. This lovely etched model promises to be much better.

I have to admire your using Romford crankpins though - are these 'traditional' ones requiring soldering, or the more recent 'de luxe' version? I wrecked a Gibson wheel once whilst soldering, even though I was as quick as possible with the iron; haven't tried it since, preferring to use Gibson crankpins. Yes, I'm a coward :P

Mark

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, MarkC said:

This is looking very good - they are nice little locomotives. I have a K's version, built by myself in 1976 "as K's intended", & still going strong, many Exhibitions later. This lovely etched model promises to be much better.

I have to admire your using Romford crankpins though - are these 'traditional' ones requiring soldering, or the more recent 'de luxe' version? I wrecked a Gibson wheel once whilst soldering, even though I was as quick as possible with the iron; haven't tried it since, preferring to use Gibson crankpins. Yes, I'm a coward :P

Mark

Thanks Mark there are a few small modifications i have to do to the etch but they will be available if anyone wants a bash.

Yes they're the plain Romford crankpins, sometimes i solder them but very often i just dab a drop of cyano onto the retainer. It's relatively easy to break the joint then if you need to adjust at a later date. I use them because i'm not keen on the threaded pin and sleeve that Gibson uses (i do use Gibson crankpins without the collar some times if it's not going to get a lot of running time), it also takes a lot of meat out of the rod.

27 minutes ago, k22009 said:

Thanks Mark there are a few small modifications i have to do to the etch but they will be available if anyone wants a bash.

Yes they're the plain Romford crankpins, sometimes i solder them but very often i just dab a drop of cyano onto the retainer. It's relatively easy to break the joint then if you need to adjust at a later date. I use them because i'm not keen on the threaded pin and sleeve that Gibson uses (i do use Gibson crankpins without the collar some times if it's not going to get a lot of running time), it also takes a lot of meat out of the rod.

Fair enough re the crankpins, Dave. 2 very valid points :)

I might well take you up on the etch at some point too.

Enjoy the rest of the build - hopefully with no major snags.

Cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2021 at 08:48, hayfield said:

What a superb little loco and built so quickly 

Thanks John, it's a straightforward build with only a few parts so it does go together quickly. I guess after designing the parts i'm very familiar with where and how everything fits so that does make things easier.

On 21/09/2021 at 17:06, Compound2632 said:

That does look very tempting. The resin casting (?) dome hasn't quite turned out as well as one might hope, but otherwise it's a sweetie.

Thanks Stephen the dome definitely needs work, it looks a bit battered. 

Sourcing castings and detailing components is an ongoing headache. In an ideal world it would be great if someone with good UK based 3d printing capabilities could start a parts vault that we could all purchase from. Dream on i guess.

Anyway I've revised the artwork now, had a price from the etchers and will be hopefully placing an order early next week for these. The etch with the castings i have (as i said before they're ok but not perfect) drawings, instructions, parts lists etc will be £40 inc postage if anyone wants a Mitsumi motor too that will be an additional £7. Please message me if you do.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Firstly thanks to everyone for the information and directions, all gratefully accepted.

I still need a little help regarding the various castings, I  would like to use brass/metal castings if available ?

Thus more information on what type / size etc of  Chimney, Dome, Salter Safety Valves, Tank Filler, Whistle,

Smokebox door, toolboxes  etc,etc 

Then hopefully I can try and source these ...

Thanks again,  

• 1 year later...

I'm building a 7mm model of the 1322 class (build thread on Western Thunder) and wanted more info on the brake arrangements so I arranged to view the  following Derby Loco drawings of the later engines at the NRM, in the hope that there might be more detail (unfortunately there wasn't):

96-4322 Brake Arrangements and Details

96-4265 650 Gallon tank and coal bunkers

There are a number of other drawings in the catalogue around this number range that refer to the later engines. In particular 96-4307 is a frame drawing - in conjunction with 96-4265 this would probably provide most of the info that a GA would provide.

Beware: Works drawings often don't match the models, and sometimes don't match the real thing, but photos can often clarify. For example: the coal hole openings have square tops, not rounded.

Eric Ramsay.

Incidentally, I was doing a little research and discovered that only two appear to have made it to BR days (My layout is set in late 1947). I've seen photo's of 41518 and it has a more enclosed Midland style cab which it obviously acquired at some stage of its life. What about the other, 1523? Ideally I would build mine with the older wrap-around style, otherwise it's build a Midland cab for it!

7 minutes ago, Barclay said:

What about the other, 1523?

Yes. (4)1523, transfered from Hasland to Burton in 1944 to join her smaller sister (4)1516.  Full Midland cab, as provided for Dock working fitted from 1904 on 1523. 

41518 gained it's Deeley-esqe cab in 1950.

Edited by 41516
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Yes. (4)1523, transfered from Hasland to Burton in 1944 to join her smaller sister (4)1516.  Full Midland cab, as provided for Dock working fitted from 1904 on 1523. 

41518 gained it's Deeley-esqe cab in 1950.

Thanks for that - so 1518 had the older simple wrap-over cab in 1947? Perfect!