Mehano DRS 66301

ellocoloco

I have just finished my latest HO project repainting a Mehano 77 into DRS 66301.

Once again, Steve @railtec-models came up with the goods and produced DRS decals and OHL warning signs. He can also produce HO scale nameplates which would be useful for countless projects and I ordered a set for 'Kingmoor TMD' to show the loco as it appeared in 2020. Paint was Railmatch 205, 210 and 258 with a covering of Railmatch gloss before being finished in Railmatch satin. I was going to leave the exhaust but late on decided to paint it with Humbrol 53 & 56. From the original model I removed the A/C units and Indusi shoes, filed off an annoying thinks just above the lights and recessed the horn covers a little more. When I was nearly finished I discovered that 66301 has a smaller fuel tank than normal so I had to lay into that with the hacksaw! I know its not exact and I had no intention of messing about with the lights and the cantrail strip isn't 100% straight, but from 24" it really looks the part (in my eyes) and I am very happy with it.

This is my 2nd GB outline HO 66 and I have plans for some more. 

66301 painted.jpg

66301 painted 2d.jpg

66301 & 66789.jpg

Edited by ellocoloco
Edited for presentation
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely models :-)

I wonder ... do you have a reason for choosing the Mehano model over (say) the ESU one as the base? I have one of each. Both are excellent runners but the ESU one is I feel better-engineered. For me, both are fine because with an end-to-end layout I am not going to be wearing them out.

- Richard.

I might feel guilty sticky an ESU model in an IPA bath for a week...........

I have five Mehano Renfe locos - my main interest is Spanish HO Era V - and I think they are all great. There are also the Heljan and Trix 66s out there so it will depend on what is available when I get round to doing the next one.........and cost!

I really must stop buying locos anyway and lay some track, but I do enjoy painting and have recently repainted a Roco Renfe 319.

On 01/10/2021 at 13:15, ellocoloco said:

There are also the Heljan and Trix 66s out there.

I was not awsre the Heljan & Trix produced 66's.

I have a Mehano & would be interested in the Trix model, but I would not touch a Heljan one (or Heljan anything).

6 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I have a Mehano & would be interested in the Trix model,

The Heljan model came out about a decade ago. The Marklin/Trix 66 was last year I think. Its an all singing and dancing version along the lines of the ESU model. I only have the Mehano version (and Hornby's Capt Tom) so can't comment on the others.

• RMweb Premium

There was a brief discussion of the Heljan model here, in 2016:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72723-Heljan-class-66/&do=findComment&comment=2524838

I remember I could find AC 3-rail versions on eBay, but not 2-rail ones. I have never seen one of either.

For comparison, the ESU model supports both power systems. You pull off the collector shoes and a microswitch inside sorts out the rest of the conversion. The body shell is die-cast and the DCC sound is pretty Carlos Fandango, you get flange squeal when the optics detect point blades and station platform announcements and just about everything. Performance is first class. The model came with "standard" wheels with quite deep flanges and some traction tyres. I sent off to ESU for a free pack of RP-25 profile wheels, but sadly failed to work out how to install them when they arrived.

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 1