Tall vacuum pipes

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

Anyone got any ideas for producing tall vacuum pipes for wagons. Like this:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=m422441

Rather than just a single bent piece of wire I wondered if anyone had any success with a bit of extra detailing.

David

Sorry, this question should have been in 'Any Question Answered'!  Must concentrate . . .

Edited by DavidLong

For vacuum or steam heat pipes I coil some fine copper wire (single strands from bell wire) round the wire of the pipe to represent the corrugated section. You can make the outer end look like the wee connector. For Westinghouse pipes I use finer wire without the windings. 

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Did you already review the magazine article by the late Pete Wright, also reproduced in Loco bits and pieces, called 'Skirl o' the pipes'?

I'd forgotten that, Rich. I'll have a check in my magazines.

David

There were a few posts on this subject in the "Any question answered" thread last year. Using wire-wound guitar strings seemed to be somewhat contentious!

Building relatively few wagons (none at the moment!) I usually use the N Brass Loco castings.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

There were a few posts on this subject in the "Any question answered" thread last year. Using wire-wound guitar strings seemed to be somewhat contentious!

Building relatively few wagons (none at the moment!) I usually use the N Brass Loco castings.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. I knew that I had seen something about this subject but couldn't remember when it was. The suggestions on that thread are useful. I have checked in my stash of wires and found that I have a coil of Nickel Wound 0.508mm banjo strings made by Vega of Nazareth*, Pennsylvania which I remember that I bought from a music shop in Cambridge about thirty years ago! This is about 0.005mm bigger than Nick's 0.45mm copper wire. Just to be on the safe side I have got a couple of coils of the copper on the way to me via ebay. Now that I'm back home I will also check out Pete Wright's article as suggested by a couple of contributors.

Many thanks for the suggestions both on this thread and the previous one from last year.

David

* Could this be the same Nazareth as in The Band's song 'The Weight'? "As I pulled in to Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead". I guess we will never know . . .