Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Markwj said:

Would agree it would probably not be totally cost free but probably cheaper than a marketing campaign on TV.

Probably more effective than most, too.

When adverts start on TV, a number of people have been known to "switch off", or go into "cynic mode". They might be less likely to question what's said by somebody narrating what comes across as essentially a factual programme - especially if it isn't blatantly "Grimm", biased or full of obvious "doublespeak".

Ultimately, I suspect that Hornby see these series as marketing tools - based around a superficial idea of the sort of stuff that goes into creating new products (but not giving enough detail for this to become a threat) - homing in on a small number of people likely to be popular with viewers probably helps here - as does creating a favourable impression of these people. (To be honest, such an impression is probably fair - I don't think programmes like these would spend any time in the company of jerks!)

Anything likely to be controversial isn't likely to find its way into programmes like these (unless you count some guy conducting his own "torture tests" on some of their products) - these programmes need to be "safe" and "comfortable".

There will also be no mention of prices. This isn't because of a number of potential customers' "perceptions of these prices"*  - rather because prices are likely to change over time, so any reference to prices might restrict how many "additional chances to see these programmes"* viewers might be "offered" (and over how many years).

(* I know that alternative descriptions are also available, but  ... .)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly ground breaking , but its pleasant enough television .  It also certainly shows the enthusiasm of the designers and challenges they face . I found the Airfix bits more interesting last time .  Makes a change from the constant Soap offerings from 7-9 on the other channels .   Increasingly I'm just watching my iPad or YouTube and actually found the Behind the Buffers blog from Hornby , where they chat with the designers to be more informative .   Be interesting to see if there's anything about Titgate.  Want to take bets that's avoided? 

Not supposed to screen until 2023 though .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a good fun as a series and I too found the Airfix stuff very interesting.  The forced and obviously very artifical timescale to 'beat the competition' and 'get this into production for the whatever market' came over as rather corny at times but that wouldn't apply to a lot of viewers with no idea of how such things work.

I too doubt very much that Titgate will get a mention but I do wonder if we'll see things like catalogue planning/production (no giveaways on upcoming new stuff obviously) and if there will be any comment about production delays?  The latter is an area where Hornby need to explain how things work and use that to go on to explain why releases are delayed - it would, I think, do them more good than harm for this area to be explored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2