Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

The other highlight was Simon K's statement about not be comfortable being filmed - I presume he was party the the agreement for the series and that much of the screen time would be films of him either in meetings or talking direct to camera.

You can be uncomfortable about public speaking/being filmed but still have to accept it's part of the job if your position demands it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Legend said:

I liked the slow crawl test on the W1, actually just like Sams Trains!  . Anyone else think "oh itll get smoother over time" is the equivalent of "oh it'll ride up with wear"

However the test really did show up the situation with the flangeless (non) carrying wheels at the back end of the engine.  I know why Hornby do it and i know they have to satisfy a mix of markets but surely with that extra carrying axle of the W1 there was an opportunity for a bit more ingenuity?

I missed Sam doing his stuff - terribly sorry an' all that but I dropped off to sleep :lol:  (I shall try to stay awake during the repeat tonight)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Legend said:

I liked the slow crawl test on the W1, actually just like Sams Trains!  . Anyone else think "oh itll get smoother over time" is the equivalent of "oh it'll ride up with wear"

5 years later my MN is still sticking, Have not got around to looking into it yet!! 

Sam did not feature that much or maybe I kipped off to, Bit Meh this one was.  Was looking at acquiring Austrian HOe during the program to make sure the divorce happens :)

Mind you forgot about the W1, checking with the LMS to see if they have one inbound for me. 

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Especially interested in the 73 chip if they are now able to have sound files for bi-modal operation. Wonder if it will work in heljans o gauge 73 due soon ? I'm guessing you would gave to piggy back it off another decoder due Heljan motor power requirements

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

However the test really did show up the situation with the flangeless (non) carrying wheels at the back end of the engine.  I know why Hornby do it and i know they have to satisfy a mix of markets but surely with that extra carrying axle of the W1 there was an opportunity for a bit more ingenuity?

I missed Sam doing his stuff - terribly sorry an' all that but I dropped off to sleep :lol:  (I shall try to stay awake during the repeat tonight)

He shows us that locos with traction tyres can pull things up a steeper incline than those without*. Then he says (I'm paraphrasing from memory) that the P2 (an eight-coupled loco) was built because the Pacifics didn't have enough grip for the gradients on the Scottish lines.

*From memory, they imply that he has fitted traction tyres for the test, which strikes me as odd since he has never hidden his dislike for them. I'm not familiar with the locos used in the test (something from the Southern), but is it more likely that he uses an old model with tyres and a newer one without?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Especially interested in the 73 chip if they are now able to have sound files for bi-modal operation. Wonder if it will work in heljans o gauge 73 due soon ? I'm guessing you would gave to piggy back it off another decoder due Heljan motor power requirements

I didn't get the impression that the chip was necessarily for bi-mode traction but rather the idea was to use the same chip for both diesel and electric outline models.

9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I didn't get the impression that the chip was necessarily for bi-mode traction but rather the idea was to use the same chip for both diesel and electric outline models.

Oh I thought they said you could switch between electric or diesel on the move.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Yes they mentioned that the 73 can switch on the move, as I recall the driver starts the engine while still on the juice. I am not a DCC expert but as far as I am aware the basic chip and speaker would already be common between diesel and electric, but with different software and sound files.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

He shows us that locos with traction tyres can pull things up a steeper incline than those without*. Then he says (I'm paraphrasing from memory) that the P2 (an eight-coupled loco) was built because the Pacifics didn't have enough grip for the gradients on the Scottish lines.

*From memory, they imply that he has fitted traction tyres for the test, which strikes me as odd since he has never hidden his dislike for them. I'm not familiar with the locos used in the test (something from the Southern), but is it more likely that he uses an old model with tyres and a newer one without?

Both Hornby Schools and T9 are fitted with traction tyres.Correct…released more than few years ago.Notice they are both 4 coupled. The mention of them on this forum usually brings on bouts of apoplexy similar to those displayed by Blimpish characters in cartoons by HM Bateman..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

You can be uncomfortable about public speaking/being filmed but still have to accept it's part of the job if your position demands it.

Methinks he doth protest too much. He looks perfectly at ease in front of the camera. In any case he knows what it’s about as he’s been the public face of Hornby for years .

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Bomag said:

Yes they mentioned that the 73 can switch on the move, as I recall the driver starts the engine while still on the juice. I am not a DCC expert but as far as I am aware the basic chip and speaker would already be common between diesel and electric, but with different software and sound files.

TTS has progressed with the 73.

The basic background sound on F1 is dual mode (i.e. two separate recordings) switchable (on the fly) by F5. The default mode is diesel and when F5 is selected the diesel winds down as the electric cranks up. (Compare with similar extended cold start mode on F9).

Ditto when F5 is deselected.

It works very well as the mode change also invokes any mode specific spot sounds. E.g. Diesel notch up/down and Spirax valves become something else in electric mode.

The other general improvement is a better speaker/enclosure as seen in an earlier episode to maximise the higher fidelity sound recordings.

More than that I cannot yet say.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Another enjoyable episode to watch I thought. 

Does anyone know the name of the Pete Goss layout featured in the programme however? Would love to see more pictures of it either online or in print. 

Edit: answered my own question. https://petegossrailwaymodelling.bigcartel.com/current-layouts

Edited by Nelson Jackson

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2021 at 22:55, Chrisr40 said:

Looking forward to a class 73 tts chip. Perhaps the Bachmann box was for testing a much requested tts dmu chip ?????? I live in hope

I just watched again on digital and zoomed..

its a CEP / 411 box.

A few seconds later you see a VEP in NSE livery 2 cars are unboxed and one car partially dismantled to the right on the same desk.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Nelson Jackson said:

Does anyone know the name of the Pete Goss layout featured in the programme however? Would love to see more pictures of it either online or in print. 

Ah, yes, I knew there was something else in this episode that stuck out to me, as well as the put-down for Sam's Trains.

It was the way they depicted Pete as having spent 5 years building his layout, they showed he & his son assembling all the boards, and the commentator saying something like "now it's time to test it & see if it works." 

Utter 'False Jeopardy' or what???!!! :dontknow:  :fool:   No modeller would do that in reality, & I'm sure Pete didn't!! Why not tell the truth, that the track is usually tested as soon as it's laid, not at the end of scenic construction???!!!  Another 'made for TV' moment, written by TV people, and likely beyond Pete's control too. Stating it was the first time the layout had been tested now it was complete would've been just as good a description, and hopefully closer to the truth.

The layout itself is one of, if not the, best they have shown in the series - Pete can certainly paint figures too!  :yes:  :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, Nelson Jackson said:

Edit: answered my own question. https://petegossrailwaymodelling.bigcartel.com/current-layouts

Also on this thread, linked to at the bottom of the page. The 'round of applause' reaction was created specifically for this layout.

Edited by DK123GWR

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

They did say that but they were looking at a development version.  So it could be used with a Class 73 BUT as already pointed out the engine would have to start while the loco is still operating as an electric.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, col.stephens said:

Your post says more about you than Sam.  You appear to be gloating for some reason.

If you don't like Sam or his videos, don't watch them!  No need to tell us that you aren't watching them.

Terry

Please stay on topic and avoid further Sam disputes.  P.Parker has terminated further discussion on this

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Incorrect
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I just watched again on digital and zoomed..

its a CEP / 411 box.

A few seconds later you see a VEP in NSE livery 2 cars are unboxed and one car partially dismantled to the right on the same desk.

I thought the vep was a Hornby product anyway unless they were comparing them in some way.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2021 at 16:51, RAF96 said:

TTS has progressed with the 73.

The basic background sound on F1 is dual mode (i.e. two separate recordings) switchable (on the fly) by F5. The default mode is diesel and when F5 is selected the diesel winds down as the electric cranks up. (Compare with similar extended cold start mode on F9).

Ditto when F5 is deselected.

It works very well as the mode change also invokes any mode specific spot sounds. E.g. Diesel notch up/down and Spirax valves become something else in electric mode.

Why would the Spirax valve need to become something else on electric mode?

One thing I noticed in the previous episode which I didn't like was when Montana talked about frequently working very lately, often past midnight.

I just think that is wrong and working those sorts of hours should be discouraged.  I know Hornby are hardly an exception in that (sadly) but such work patterns are not healthy, no matter how much you may like a job and however much we may want our models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

One thing I noticed in the previous episode which I didn't like was when Montana talked about frequently working very lately, often past midnight.

I just think that is wrong and working those sorts of hours should be discouraged.  I know Hornby are hardly an exception in that (sadly) but such work patterns are not healthy, no matter how much you may like a job and however much we may want our models.

Quite agreed, but I think most of us who work in Product or Software Development have worked rather longer hours than we should, just to ensure our new thing makes it to the deadline. Whilst I would never work that late (8pm is the latest on one occasion), early morning starts aren't unusual, especially when a new website update is launched. Work email exchanges after midnight though...... :nono:

• Agree 1