Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2021 at 17:19, 2mmMark said:

Do you have a smart phone?  The Live Transcribe app can sometimes do a reasonable job with subtitles.  The background music might not help though.

Apologies if you've already tried this. My 92 year old mum has a hearing loss and finds Live Transcribe helpful.

Yes I do. I have tried your suggestion but it's not easy on a smart phone I found. Plus there's no way the adverts can be skipped, and on catch-up you have to sit through the best part of 3 minutes of adverts before you start, or even resume later. 

I notice that next week's episode of The Architecture the Railways Built is now marked as not having subtitles despite earlier ones having them. I wonder if they have been afflicted by the Channel 4 issue where subtitles have been missing for over 3 weeks now? If that is the case hopefully the subtitles will come back on catch-up as C4 have promised.

23 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

If the rest of the series is as well put together as the first then we are very lucky indeed. Not only seeing how a model is designed and quality checked before production, the full size restoration, the modeller, Callum researching and putting a layout together seems to cover all of mainstream modelling.   That is how people come into the hobby.  

I thought the design and development process wasn't especially well covered and gave the impression it was almost instantaneous, rather than the 2 - 3 years it seems to take.

For example the TMC NER G5 was first announced on RMweb in February 2018 and isn't yet available. While Andy didn't start the LNWR Hardwicke until 11 months ago and it is about to reach the market, I was aware that it was on the cards at the York Show in 2018.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, RFS said:

Yes I do. I have tried your suggestion but it's not easy on a smart phone I found. Plus there's no way the adverts can be skipped, and on catch-up you have to sit through the best part of 3 minutes of adverts before you start, or even resume later. 

I notice that next week's episode of The Architecture the Railways Built is now marked as not having subtitles despite earlier ones having them. I wonder if they have been afflicted by the Channel 4 issue where subtitles have been missing for over 3 weeks now? If that is the case hopefully the subtitles will come back on catch-up as C4 have promised.

You are quite correct,notices last evening apologised for this

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I thought the design and development process wasn't especially well covered and gave the impression it was almost instantaneous, rather than the 2 - 3 years it seems to take.

For example the TMC NER G5 was first announced on RMweb in February 2018 and isn't yet available. While Andy didn't start the LNWR Hardwicke until 11 months ago and it is about to reach the market, I was aware that it was on the cards at the York Show in 2018.

Hornby won't have had any influence over the G5, of course, as that's coming from the Blue team.

Development is likely to be a lot faster, too, if the maker is only working on one or two models at a time.

Hornby seem to favour presenting several new product lines alongside one another in what the fashion industry would call a "Seasonal Collection", which means that some are presumably held back by the pace of the slowest.

John

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hornby won't have had any influence over the G5, of course, as that's coming from the Blue team.

Development is likely to be a lot faster, too, if the maker is only working on one or two models at a time.

Hornby seem to favour presenting several new product lines alongside one another in what the fashion industry would call a "Seasonal Collection", which means that some are presumably held back by the pace of the slowest.

John

John,

perhaps I should have added that the development period is a probably a product of the manufacturer's capability/capacity, usually a factory in China or Korea, AFAIK.

Aren't most of the major "UK manufacturers"  effectively commissioners, contracting the work out to overseas factories (even Bachmann)? That must largely leave development times, tooling, production processes and quality control in the hands of the factories.

Hornby's (and all the other RTR suppliers) role must be very much limited to deciding what models they want to bring to market and to what specification.

• RMweb Gold

Just watcing episode 1 now, I like it, it is exactly as expected for this sort of programme. Been around TV, film and news long enough to know it is not exactly "reality" but still interesting and there is always something to learn.

Really nice surprise to see Kerry & Invicta. I was based in Sidcup at the time Vernon was in hospital and used to pop in at lunchtimes to peruse and purchase.

:offtopic: If anyone wants a reason to go to Invicta Models it is 2 minutes walk from Sidcup station and across the road is one of the country's top BBQ equipment shops. Combine that with the interesting freight services passing through Sidcup, it is definitely worth a trip!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Just watcing episode 1 now, I like it, it is exactly as expected for this sort of programme. Been around TV, film and news long enough to know it is not exactly "reality" but still interesting and there is always something to learn.

Really nice surprise to see Kerry & Invicta. I was based in Sidcup at the time Vernon was in hospital and used to pop in at lunchtimes to peruse and purchase.

:offtopic: If anyone wants a reason to go to Invicta Models it is 2 minutes walk from Sidcup station and across the road is one of the country's top BBQ equipment shops. Combine that with the interesting freight services passing through Sidcup, it is definitely worth a trip!

That’s just as my response to the programme was. Light relief and undemanding. Just what was needed from a hospital bed which is where I was parked at the time,surrounded by sights and sounds not conducive to lifting one’s spirits. I particularly enjoyed Callum’s input.I felt it offered the right perspective and gave the whole thing a proper balance notwithstanding the Bachmann 7F. Simon is….well,Simon.Irrepressible whatever opinion you might hold.It was that hackneyed word “ feelgood” I accept. But it worked that way for me at a time and in a place where it was sorely needed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

perhaps I should have added that the development period is a probably a product of the manufacturer's capability/capacity, usually a factory in China or Korea, AFAIK.

Aren't most of the major "UK manufacturers"  effectively commissioners, contracting the work out to overseas factories (even Bachmann)? That must largely leave development times, tooling, production processes and quality control in the hands of the factories.

Hornby's (and all the other RTR suppliers) role must be very much limited to deciding what models they want to bring to market and to what specification.

Indeed, Hornby seem to do most (if not all) of their design work but the tooling gets done by the factory that will produce the model. Hornby's hand will then be "off the tiller" until they receive the first EP samples for assessment. Most of the others will be the same, though Bachmann is (AIUI) partially/substantially owned by Kader Industries so the relationship will differ, presumably they are unable to shop around for production.

Peco aren't a "full range" producer, never having gone in for making locomotives independently. Indeed, their N gauge Jubilee of yore, produced by Rivarossi (not Fleischmann, see next post) was arguably a harbinger of today's commissioning methodology. Their recent Autumn News video includes updates on their joint venture with Kato to produce OO9 locomotives. Other coverage reveals an impressive self-sufficiency in making everything else they sell, with a newly equipped in-house toolroom facility that suggests they intend to keep doing things their way. 

Most of the newer entrants/commissioners went in the other direction, concentrating almost exclusively on outsourced locomotive manufacture (at least to begin with) though carriages and wagons are following rather sooner than I expected.    

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Peco aren't a "full range" producer, never having gone in for making locomotives independently. Indeed, their N gauge Jubilee of yore, produced by Fleischmann, was arguably a harbinger of today's commissioning methodology.

Rivarossi — not Fleischmann (who I don't believe have ever done commissions). But wasn't the Collett Goods an in-house production?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Rivarossi — not Fleischmann (who I don't believe have ever done commissions). But wasn't the Collett Goods an in-house production?

They might only have designed rather than making them, but weren't Fleischmann responsible for the early (and excellent) brass chassis tender drives under the first Tri-ang Hornby 9Fs? Vastly superior to the cast Mazak ringfields that succeeded them.

Not sure about the origins of the Peco 2251, it sort of passed me by unnoticed.

John

On 17/10/2021 at 11:39, Ian Hargrave said:

That’s just as my response to the programme was. Light relief and undemanding. Just what was needed from a hospital bed which is where I was parked at the time,surrounded by sights and sounds not conducive to lifting one’s spirits. I particularly enjoyed Callum’s input.I felt it offered the right perspective and gave the whole thing a proper balance notwithstanding the Bachmann 7F. Simon is….well,Simon.Irrepressible whatever opinion you might hold.It was that hackneyed word “ feelgood” I accept. But it worked that way for me at a time and in a place where it was sorely needed.

That's the impression I got too. Simon does come across as a genuine, decent guy though and I know he has an enthusiasm, when he says It has to be right I'd fully agree. Shame it didn't mention where the name Dublo came from though as that's pretty relevant to Hornby really.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

But wasn't the Collett Goods an in-house production?

As I recall it was entirely in-house. Perhaps an early precedent that ‘we’ wouldn’t pay the higher prices of home manufacturer high quality RTR locomotives. It was tender driven too which required the larger tender option, which may have also affected the desirability of the model. A while ago (5 yrs ‘ish’) I asked them if it would be revisited, at that time there were no plans to do so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the second programme.  Nice to see Simon K building a roundy-roundy for his grandson and Eddie Izzard reminiscing about his Dad’s experiences of winter 1940 and getting stuck in with the snow on the Bexhill on Sea model.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surprised no one commenting on new steam on locomotives . Presumably DCC operated in conjunction with sound . New introductions in 2022 ? 

Generally decent light entertainment . A pleasant change from Silent Witness etc , but it’s hardly ground breaking . Very much good PR for Hornby . It’s not going to address hard issues .  I preferred James Mays programs overall . Actually fell asleep last night and woke up during Britain’s Steam Railways ! 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, Legend said:

Surprised no one commenting on new steam on locomotives . Presumably DCC operated in conjunction with sound . New introductions in 2022 ? 

My first thought (in a good way) was just shut up and take my money. Looks fantastic.

Hopefully now it's out in the open we will learn more soon.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Interesting comment on the design of the Corgi Biplane that they had to ensure parts did not easilly break - can we just hope that spreads to the red box range.

Perhaps Heljan should be watching and taking notes too?   :whistle:

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Perhaps its a "run it up the flagpole and see who salutes" prototype. If there's enough of a positive response, it might make its way into production. Another thought, given that there's always been a groundswell of complaints about the lack of synchronisation on TTS steam models, perhaps Hornby are looking at a TTS+ chip to address this and provide extra facilities like enhanced steam?

Oink!

I haven't got around to watching episode 2 yet, better get my skates on!

• RMweb Gold

I was impressed by the steam loco and am surprised really that Hornby let it out of the bag this way rather than as a grand announcement in January. Was also looking at the models around the test track and the apt and mk 4’s were there. I have recorded the show and when I get chance will pause it at that point to see what else I can find!

Yes I have nothing better to do!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/10/2021 at 18:04, Dunsignalling said:

They might only have designed rather than making them, but weren't Fleischmann responsible for the early (and excellent) brass chassis tender drives under the first Tri-ang Hornby 9Fs? Vastly superior to the cast Mazak ringfields that succeeded them.

M & R Model Railways certainly supplied Fleishmann Tender drive units to Hornby in the mid 70's.

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2021 at 14:10, The Evil Bus Driver said:

That's the impression I got too. Simon does come across as a genuine, decent guy though and I know he has an enthusiasm, when he says It has to be right I'd fully agree. Shame it didn't mention where the name Dublo came from though as that's pretty relevant to Hornby really.

And not appreciating that blue striped Dublo boxes were 3 rail, 2 rail came in red stripe boxes:D

So the new box for the die-casts is wrong!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

And not appreciating that blue striped Dublo boxes were 3 rail, 2 rail came in red stripe boxes:D

So the new box for the die-casts is wrong!

Yes, but 2 or 3 rail is immaterial now, the blue boxes however give a greater differentiation from the standard current red Hornby boxes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Legend said:

The steam effect did impress me but the gadgetry stuck on top of the tender looked very cumbersome and possibly difficult to miniaturise. I imagine a fair quantity of water would need to be stored on board to allow the effect to operate for any length of time. I hope I am proved wrong and that it will be introduced soon but perhaps it was just a kite flying exercise.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Riddles said:

The steam effect did impress me but the gadgetry stuck on top of the tender looked very cumbersome and possibly difficult to miniaturise. I imagine a fair quantity of water would need to be stored on board to allow the effect to operate for any length of time. I hope I am proved wrong and that it will be introduced soon but perhaps it was just a kite flying exercise.

I think it was mentioned that the longest they can currently make it work is about two minutes.

The choice of test-bed being the Lord Nelson with its bogie tender was probably significant. I suspect a determination to use something other than the obvious pick of an A4....

I also was rather taken with how much more realistic it looks (and sounds, as they seem to have cracked synchronising that) compared with what has gone before.

However, DCC, and all the novelties it makes possible, take up space that might otherwise accommodate weight to optimise haulage capacity. All the special effects in the world will come to naught if the loco can't pull an appropriate train.

That perhaps begs the question as to whether metal loco bodies may spread beyond the "collector candy" Dublo sub-range in the longer term.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

That perhaps begs the question as to whether metal loco bodies may spread beyond the "collector candy" Dublo sub-range in the longer term.....

John

Hornby have been using diecast bodies on certain standard range items for years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hornby have been using diecast bodies on certain standard range items for years.

Yeah but now they realise they can charge extra for it  !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1