The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

A THREE-link variant would be more appropriate for the vast majority of British goods wagons - but I guess we're unlikely to see that !

Not a problem with the chaldrons with their lower buffer height but otherwise a plug-into-the-NEM-socket coupling doesn't get over the fundamental problem of the coupling being a scale 18" or so below the level of the drawbar hook!

It's not as if that problem hasn't been solved before, albeit at a larger scale:

2090878643_CaretteBassett-Lowkegauge1CityofBhamGasDeptNo_1201.JPG.e0053a7239af8713b5dc29eff9a0a4c2.JPG

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of my earlier comment about the distorted buffer centres on an 00 chaldron, I suppose with buffers like these, one can't miss:

SEAHAM HARBOUR CO., Seaham - SEAHAM - Class B2 0-6-0ST - built 1905 by Peckett & Co., Works No.1052 - bought new - 1961 withdrawn - seen here 07/59.

[Embedded link.]

I note that my enquiry about which other dimensions have been adjusted to compensate for the too-narrow back-to-back is as yet unanswered...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I note that my enquiry about which other dimensions have been adjusted to compensate for the too-narrow back-to-back is as yet unanswered...

They’re quite subtle as it’s not noticeable through high res pics?

We don’t always have to reveal all our secrets. ;)

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We don’t always have to reveal all our secrets. ;)

Well, they'll be revealed the moment someone gets the chance to run a ruler over a sample!

1. Are they narrower than scale at the top?
  2. Are they scale length?
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, as I’ve been on the go since 5:00am, been at GETS talking to our customers, old and new, and now finally getting to head back home to East Kent, I hope you’ll allow me some time to wind down and enjoy what is left of the weekend @Compound2632 before I get around to answering your queries?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Well, as I’ve been on the go since 5:00am, been at GETS talking to our customers, old and new, and now finally getting to head back home to East Kent, I hope you’ll allow me some time to wind down and enjoy what is left of the weekend @Compound2632 before I get around to answering your queries?

Ah well, if it weren't for lack of petrol I'd have been there myself tomorrow, on the Midland Railway Society Stand. Sleep well!

• Like 1

Hi Fran,

I have just placed an order for two sets of chaldrons into my cart. I am in Western Australia. When it comes to checkout there is no VAT deduction. Is this correct?

Also, if I wish to order loads for these wagons when they are available, will it be possible to combine orders for one lot of postage?

Inspired choice by the way, please thank Mr. Isles!

Cheers,

Peter Chandler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Hi Fran,

I have just placed an order for two sets of chaldrons into my cart. I am in Western Australia. When it comes to checkout there is no VAT deduction. Is this correct?

Also, if I wish to order loads for these wagons when they are available, will it be possible to combine orders for one lot of postage?

Inspired choice by the way, please thank Mr. Isles!

Cheers,

Peter Chandler

Hi Peter,

Our website only shows VAT inc prices if you are shopping from inside the UK. (inc. VAT is appended on screen).

Otherwise it's smart enough to know you are outside the UK and show you the ex VAT price. We hope to confirm the loads in the coming weeks, and yes, if you order some, drop us a line to merge the parcels! 

Hope that helps!

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McC said:

Hi Peter,

Our website only shows VAT inc prices if you are shopping from inside the UK. (inc. VAT is appended on screen).

Otherwise it's smart enough to know you are outside the UK and show you the ex VAT price. We hope to confirm the loads in the coming weeks, and yes, if you order some, drop us a line to merge the parcels! 

Hope that helps!

Stephen

Thank you Stephen, I'll go forward with it!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/10/2021 at 17:37, Islesy said:

Well, how about riding on the back of an 1898 16ft ex-LSWR 'lift van'@Wickham Green, does that count? 60020 even spent time in your neck of the woods from September 1927 :D (picture courtesy of my good friend Mike King)

IMG_7846.jpg

Sorry I suspect I gave that photo to Mike King to use in a book, not to be spread around without copyright acknowledgement. Photographs are pointless if they don't have dates and places on them - not least if you interpret as you have done despite the clear NRM stencil.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Photographs are pointless if they don't have dates and places on them

Indeed Paul, and as you know, I value your contributions, however I was unaware of your contribution and believed it to be part of Mike’s collection. 
Regardless of the fact that the Lift Wagon had, by this point, been absorbed into the NRM’s collection, something I was entirely aware of, the fact is that the wagon is ex-LSWR, and the reply was given in a light hearted matter regarding a ‘Southern’ connection as I’m sure everyone knows. There is always room for humour within the hobby and online, it counteracts various other tendencies…

As it has caused you offence, I have removed the photo from the original post, hopefully that will sit better with you.

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

41 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Indeed Paul, and as you know, I value your contributions, however I was unaware of your contribution and believed it to be part of Mike’s collection. 
Regardless of the fact that the Lift Wagon had, by this point, been absorbed into the NRM’s collection, something I was entirely aware of, the fact is that the wagon is ex-LSWR, and the reply was given in a light hearted matter regarding a ‘Southern’ connection as I’m sure everyone knows. There is always room for humour within the hobby and online, it counteracts various other tendencies…

As it has caused you offence, I have removed the photo from the original post, hopefully that will sit better with you.

Paul

Thanks. 

There is a better southern connection, two were on show at the Bluebell Railway seen in 1975, I believe they have been moved north since, but there are so many conserved chaldrons on the listings I'm not sure if they do still exist. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bluebell/e1d3a9b37

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I think Milo was a proposed Chilton Ironworks Kit.
AH Well, no point in dwelling what might have been.
Chris.

Was Milo a "Long Boiler" type loco? As Chilton Ironworks once did a '1001', it would have shared the same chassis then.

As you say, no point dwelling...

10 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Was Milo a "Long Boiler" type loco? As Chilton Ironworks once did a '1001', it would have shared the same chassis then.

As you say, no point dwelling...

Yes, I think Milo was Long Boiler. I may be getting my locos mixed up, it may be 1001 I'm thinking of.
The Lambton RSH 0-6-2s and the NSR New L Class are the kits I really wish had happened.
Chris.

The 'Lewin Engine' would be the loco of choice for these wagons. 
I'm lucky enough to be running an Impetus Lewin. 
Even more eldritch would be an S&D Hackworth 0-6-0 with the two tenders. Now that would be a beast!
Chris.

• Like 4

'Milo' and 'Mars' photo below also from my Ernie's Railway Archive, were ex NER 964 Class locos. Milo RS2241/75 ex NER nos 972 & 1662 was acquired by the Dock Co 8 July 1907 and Mars

RS2238/75 ex NER nos. 969 & 1661 acquired 11 Dec 1908. Both scrapped 1963 Info from Industrial Railways & Locos of County Durham IRS.

Seaham Harbour 'Mars' RS 2238'75 img569

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

'Milo' and 'Mars' photo below also from my Ernie's Railway Archive, were ex NER 964 Class locos. Milo RS2241/75 ex NER nos 972 & 1662 was acquired by the Dock Co 8 July 1907 and Mars

RS2238/75 ex NER nos. 969 & 1661 acquired 11 Dec 1908. Both scrapped 1963 Info from Industrial Railways & Locos of County Durham IRS.

The nomenclature Class 964 is weird since No. 964 was the third (in running number order) of the last batch of 20, built as noted above by Stephensons in 1875; the first of the class being Nos. 776-80 from Black, Hawthorn in 1872, followed by Nos. 854-8 in 1873 and then Nos. 859-78 from Stephensons the following year [K. Hoole, An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988)]. Hoole notes the various renumberings and rebuilding of some of the class into rather E-ish form in 1892/3 as Class 964A. Hoole notes that in January 1893 Class 964 No. 966 was renumbered 1754 and Class 964A No. 875 was renumbered No. 966. So No. 966 was a characteristically Fletcher long-boiler 0-6-0ST one day and a conventional Worsdellesque 0-6-0T a few days later. Just as well there were no spotters' ABCs back then!

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/10/2021 at 15:07, black and decker boy said:

A few more images on this slideshow (plus lovely industrial grunge too)

Seaham Harbour Slideshow by adgenyer

And here's a really remarkable bit of film - chauldrons still in use after almost 100 years. The system was so labour-intensive and antiquated. It's a great shame that the [remains] of the surviving staithes in Newcastle aren't better protected.

• Like 4