Jump to content

RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in OO Gauge


sc2016
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Premium

Depends on price , but this is certainly of interest . I do remember my parents taking me for a walk and we stopped at the site of the former Elderslie station just west of Paisley on the Ayrshire runs . Would have been in the early 70s and my memory is of a 37 shunting a rake of these . I’m not sure if they were cars from the Adjacent  Chrysler factory in Linwood or if it was cars coming up and being offloaded . The Elderslie terminal survives as a Malcolm Container Terminal which I think is back in use. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 70s I used to sit in my grandparents garden in Elderslie watching cars being loaded on to transporters at the old station site. I was wondering if these were the same sort of transporters. I looked at @hmrspaul website and couldn't see any at that site in there (hope I wasn't just being incompetent). Have tried a quick Google search as well without success.

Edited by Gordon Connell
To clarify that I couldn't find the specific location, plenty of photos of the Cartics!
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Depends on price , but this is certainly of interest . I do remember my parents taking me for a walk and we stopped at the site of the former Elderslie station just west of Paisley on the Ayrshire runs . Would have been in the early 70s and my memory is of a 37 shunting a rake of these . I’m not sure if they were cars from the Adjacent  Chrysler factory in Linwood or if it was cars coming up and being offloaded . The Elderslie terminal survives as a Malcolm Container Terminal which I think is back in use. 

At one time it was a loaded service in both direction; Imps (and derivatives) southbound, and Hunters/ Alpines northbound.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gordon Connell said:

Back in the 70s I used to sit in my grandparents garden in Elderslie watching cars being loaded on to transporters at the old station site. I was wondering if these were the same sort of transporters. I looked at @hmrspaul website and couldn't see any in there ( hope I wasn't just being incompetent). Have tried a quick Google search as well without success.


i think they were Gordon . I don’t know my wagon types so if there is a derivative of the Cartic 4  I apologise, but  I recognised it as the wagon that was in the Tri-ang Hornby catalogue at the time ! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

From my limited research so far, there are quite a few options and routes for the Cartic-4s. From block workings so single sets in Speedlink trains, possibly even with Polybulks. Their length in service also makes them a great choice. I am looking at the mid to late 80s so I will be going for the ones with the protection panels added. Only question now is which ones, how many  and what cars to use, They are going to look good behind a 47.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/10/2021 at 18:49, Davidjsmith said:

This is the other photo I could not find the other day!Always better with a Loco in view!!

BCEB35E2-6C3F-4465-96F7-4912F3A7637B.jpeg

 

There is one thing I have always wondered about Cartics - if the cars at the outer end on the top deck are in gauge, why the need for the dip in the middle?  If I was that Capri I would be nervous about the wires under that bridge!

 

There were some Cartics that had the top deck removed and were used for transporting transits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Titan said:

 

There is one thing I have always wondered about Cartics - if the cars at the outer end on the top deck are in gauge, why the need for the dip in the middle?  If I was that Capri I would be nervous about the wires under that bridge!

 

There were some Cartics that had the top deck removed and were used for transporting transits.

Maybe the dips were to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, or to create a bit extra length in the load area?  Or both!

 

I dont think I've seen any photo's of Cartics with the top deck removed, looking at @hmrspaul website I cant see any

Edited by Monkersson
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

Maybe the dips were to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, or to create a bit extra length in the load area?  Or both!

 

I dont think I've seen any photo's of Cartics with the top deck removed

The clearances on both decks of double-deck carriers (of all sorts) are minimal, hence the lowered floor sections. I have seen double-deck car-carriers with the end vehicles  of some sets loaded in reverse to give additional clearance. The upper end decks of the STVA and Gefco two and four car sets can be raised during loading to give additional clearance during loading.

There was a single Cartic-4 that had its top deck and side pillars removed; it was used on Land Rover traffic to Italy. There was also a single Carflat, fitted with Y25 bogies, intended for the same traffic.

There were some photos on here- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock - but I couldn't find them when I looked this time

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

Maybe the dips were to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, or to create a bit extra length in the load area?  Or both!

 

I dont think I've seen any photo's of Cartics with the top deck removed, looking at @hmrspaul website I cant see any

 

Is this them? https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/P-Tops-codes/PJA-STVA-Cartic-4-single-level/i-wtPddBJ/A

 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

 

That's the one!  And judging by the photos here several were converted:

 

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/P-Tops-codes/PJA-STVA-Cartic-4-single-level/

 

Seem to be used for vans, 4x4's people carriers etc., but don't see any Land Rovers.

Edited by Titan
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 02/10/2021 at 13:32, Fat Controller said:

For those who only want one set, there were workings from Dagenham to Marcoft's wagon works at Burry Port, when Silcock and Collins were having the wagons fitted with lifting roofs. On the revenue-earning side, one or two sets could be found in Speedlink workings to Exeter, Gateshead and Stranraer.

I just came across this photo from www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk. Seems to be a great example of what you told.

 

So I can't find an excuse for myself not to buy a set :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Titan said:

There is one thing I have always wondered about Cartics - if the cars at the outer end on the top deck are in gauge, why the need for the dip in the middle?

Even the cars at each end are sloped down, lowering their height. Besides that the highest point of most cars is near the middle, not at the ends so will be away from the highest point of the deck.

Part of the reason  Cartic-4s became possible was the general reduction in height of cars. A 1948 Austin A40 Devon was almost 5' 4" high. A 1966 Ford Cortina Mk.2 was about 4' 8" high (the later Mk.3 only 4' 4"). That 6 inches makes quite a difference when double decking.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Titan said:

 

That's the one!  And judging by the photos here several were converted:

 

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/P-Tops-codes/PJA-STVA-Cartic-4-single-level/

 

Seem to be used for vans, 4x4's people carriers etc., but don't see any Land Rovers.

Until the demise of the Rover Group, there was a daily train from the Midlands to Lonato, in Northern Italy; it was the first revenue-earning RfD working through the Tunnel. It conveyed Rover 75s from Longbridge, Land-Rovers/Discoveries/Range-Rovers from Bordesley and Minis from Cowley. Many of the Defenders were intended for various departments of the Italian state, and were already liveried up. Thus you'd see vehicles liveried for 'Politzia', Dogna','Gardia Financia' and various others. One day, at Frethun, I encountered an entire train loaded with army Defenders, returning to the UK. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

 

Congratulations to Ben and his team on this announcement (which has managed to escape my attention until today, I'm sorry to say)!

 

The Cartic-4 has been High Polling in the 00 Wishlist Poll since 2014, although in 2019 - the last Poll to run - it dipped into Middle Polling by just one vote!

 

We wish Revolution every success with the vehicles.

 

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

Any idea when & how we can put an order in for these I know it does say a link on website soon?

 

As it says on our website "soon" - we will open the order book once the CAD is complete.  The N gauge Cartic-4s will go on sale first followed probably 2-4 weeks later by the OO gauge versions.  It will be announced on our website when the order books are open plus also on our newsletter (if you've signed up for it) and our social media (if you follow us on Facebook or Twitter).

 

Cheers Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...