RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in OO Gauge

sc2016

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, BR(S) said:

MAT wagons running with some Grainflow Polybulks, 1989:

So we just need Revolution to do some Grainflow Polybulk’s then!! (And some Malt Distillers ones while they are it).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The Carflat was one of the 'Railease' fleet, which used ex-SR underframes.

Regarding 'Grainflow' hoppers: didn't the N-Gauge society do one?

They did and still do; and recently re-stocked:

https://www.ngsjoin.com/kit-9a-br-polybulk-grainflow-hopper-ngsk0090-563-p.asp

https://www.ngsjoin.com/kit-9b-br-polybulk-distillers-hopper-ngsk0091-568-p.asp

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2021 at 14:14, BernardTPM said:

Even the cars at each end are sloped down, lowering their height. Besides that the highest point of most cars is near the middle, not at the ends so will be away from the highest point of the deck.

Part of the reason  Cartic-4s became possible was the general reduction in height of cars. A 1948 Austin A40 Devon was almost 5' 4" high. A 1966 Ford Cortina Mk.2 was about 4' 8" high (the later Mk.3 only 4' 4"). That 6 inches makes quite a difference when double decking.

Something thats been reversed in the recent decade with 'SUV' / 'croosover'  high ride types dominating sales.

15 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Rake of Silcock Express from 7:45.  Does anyone know what the purpose of the leading wagon was?

That was a ferryvan with the Ford badge on it.  Were they used on the engine plant traffic between Dagenham and Bridgend ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Revolution chaps,

I mentioned to my father who's been an avid modeller for decades about the 4mm Cartics. He's really interested (as am I), but he really wants the Ford ones as operated in the mid/late 60s onwards. Is this another variant you might consider? I believe they were pretty wide-spread. Interestingly, my father reckons they were a Ford blue, rather than BR blue, so slightly different to the MAT ones.

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2021 at 21:27, VXDH92 said:

Hi Revolution chaps,

I mentioned to my father who's been an avid modeller for decades about the 4mm Cartics. He's really interested (as am I), but he really wants the Ford ones as operated in the mid/late 60s onwards. Is this another variant you might consider? I believe they were pretty wide-spread. Interestingly, my father reckons they were a Ford blue, rather than BR blue, so slightly different to the MAT ones.

Cheers!

I too am keen to represent the Ford traffic (though in N-gauge) and am wondering which livery to pick. I recall the Silcock & Collings signage on trains rom Dagenham but can't be sure if MAT was represented; Tolemans was another name I remember.

Hi Revolution chaps,

Cheers!

I can supply a full set of transfers for the FORD version - see Sheet BL61 at the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 12:01, Revolution Mike said:

It is a Ford IVA single cargowaggon so probably carrying car parts.

and available from me as a kit (but I only have 5 left, and won't repeat them)  

I'm at Tolworth Showtrain all weekend, so if you wnat to save some postage, or have a look before you buy, i can bring them with me.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Our understanding (or at least mine!) is that although the Cartics were developed with BR and Ford the majority weren't in Ford blue even those used on Ford trains (possibly only the prototypes which were slightly different anyway).  We've got some of the original paint diagrams and none of them mention Ford blue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crepello said:

I too am keen to represent the Ford traffic (though in N-gauge) and am wondering which livery to pick. I recall the Silcock & Collings signage on trains rom Dagenham but can't be sure if MAT was represented; Tolemans was another name I remember.

MAT tended to handle British Leyland. Tolemans were Ford's original contractor, dating back to Trafford Park days.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Further to Mike's comments I have only ever seen images of the two prototype Cartic-4s carrying Ford branding, as in this image:

hez-2681784.jpg

The bodies are similar, but the handrails and bogies are different on the production versions.  I have not seen any images showing production Cartic-4 wagons with Ford branding.

Also, the information I have is that while BR's wagons were painted rail blue, the MAT Transauto wagons were a different, less green shade.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

Further to Mike's comments I have only ever seen images of the two prototype Cartic-4s carrying Ford branding, as in this image:

hez-2681784.jpg

The bodies are similar, but the handrails and bogies are different on the production versions.  I have not seen any images showing production Cartic-4 wagons with Ford branding.

Also, the information I have is that while BR's wagons were painted rail blue, the MAT Transauto wagons were a different, less green shade.

cheers

Ben A.

Just found this picture on the National Railway Museums Twitter page taken in 1965 at Dagenham.

image.png.42f7ae244f76b188ca29c761b33a8f69.png

• Like 3