Palbrick B in OO gauge

Paul.Uni

We were given one to look at As well as a Consett ore wagon.The weight of both wagons was exceptional & reminded me of the Wrenn wagons of the 1970s.The weight of the Consett ore wagon was good , but when the replica ore load was added it increased considerably.

I look forward  to further releases on the wagon front from this company .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

The weight of the Consett ore wagon was good , but when the replica ore load was added it increased considerably.

It will be a sight heavier if you fill the wagon with real ore.

I brought some home with me when I visited the Kiruna mine in Sweden.  Not something I would try if I had travelled there by air.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rembrow said:

The newsletter I received from KR yesterday evening confirmed the price as £60 plus shipping for three wagon pack.

It is also mentioned in the magazine adverts. The interesting thing is that it looks as if they will only be available in three packs - there is no mention of individual wagons. Is this another first? I guess not unreasonable for short production runs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2021 at 08:36, zr2498 said:

It would be nice to have brick loads available.

Would have been nice to acknowledge the thread you got those images from:

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I love Palbricks and have scratchbuilt a few, the first being waaaayyyy back on 28-01-86 whilst watching the Chicago Bears beating the NE Patriots in Superbowl XX ................ here in company with a scratchbuilt pig-iron wagon ...........

DSC03981.JPG

Edited by Southernman46
bod spulling
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Would have been nice to acknowledge the thread you got those images from:

Apologies - I was trying to be helpful after building some of Ian's Palbricks, I remembered the thread. Thanks for including the links.

Dave

Edited by zr2498
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I assume the coiled springs seen in the above “from underneath” shots are associated with mounting the couplings on cams?  If so that seems a bit unnecessary on a 10’ wheelbase wagon.   Some cost saving efficiencies possible?!  

I wonder if that underframe is suitable for any other wagons?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 26power said:

I assume the coiled springs seen in the above “from underneath” shots are associated with mounting the couplings on cams?  If so that seems a bit unnecessary on a 10’ wheelbase wagon.   Some cost saving efficiencies possible?!  

I wonder if that underframe is suitable for any other wagons?

It looks to be a standard lifting-link BR underframe, a lot of potential uses:

13t Open, Conflats and 12t Vans being the most obvious.

• Like 1

There would appear to be two versions of underframe for this wagon.  An earlier, traditional style with angled trusses and a later design with rectangular trussing.

This is the version I built:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/palbrick

There's a pic of my finished wagon earlier on in this thread.

My underframe:

P1010011-001a.JPG.8f489ade546b0684f3154ca69fb37534.JPG

Incomplete at this stage but it shows the trussing.  I based this on other BR wagons I have.  I couldn't find a specific pic of the early Palbrick.

This is the later style:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/palbrick

It is nice to see an effort made to detail the underframe, this is a fetish of mine.

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good choice of prototype. Quirky but not too rare (while they lasted).

Any chance of loads to go with them as Accurascale have done with their 21t minerals?

I have a couple of Ian's kits but seem to have put them "somewhere safe". :huh: 

John

On 31/10/2021 at 12:33, Fat Controller said:

It could be worth making the underframe available as a separate item!

• Agree 2

On 31/10/2021 at 12:33, Fat Controller said:

But the roller bearing axleboxes must limit its potential uses?  Obviously they could be carved off - they look to be just part of the underframe.  Similarly the body supports projecting from the solebars might be Palbrick specific?

10 minutes ago, 26power said:

But the roller bearing axleboxes must limit its potential uses?  Obviously they could be carved off - they look to be just part of the underframe.  Similarly the body supports projecting from the solebars might be Palbrick specific?

I looked through my collection of photo-albums; I fear you're correct regarding both features. Whilst there might be other types that might have roller-bearincs (Hifits in use for china-clay traffic, for example), the floor supports appear to be unique. Pity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

Not sure how I missed these, two packs on order now. Has anybody come across a picture from overhead of these wagons when loaded with bricks?

Presumably you saw the post earlier in the thread (October 3rd, I think?) with some being loaded?

1 hour ago, 26power said:

Presumably you saw the post earlier in the thread (October 3rd, I think?) with some being loaded?

i'll scroll back now. only just found the thread. Thanks ;)

EDIT..
 I see now how they worked. Very interesting. It's going to be quite hard to model one loaded with bricks going by that picture!

Edited by peteskitchen
update
  • Like 1

On 03/10/2021 at 08:36, zr2498 said:

It would be nice to have brick loads available.

image.png.0dc1cea291e4cabb7ab092fd58eb874e.png

Were the internal partitions fixed, or did they just slide in loose between the pallets?  I'd assume the latter, in which case presumably they would have been laid flat inside the wagon when it was empty?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 64F said:

Were the internal partitions fixed, or did they just slide in loose between the pallets?  I'd assume the latter, in which case presumably they would have been laid flat inside the wagon when it was empty?

Please see this thread as the original information came from Porcy Mane.

So I do not know the answer to your question, however for the loading screws to work, which push the pressure plates against the brick loads to hold them tight, then it makes sense for the partition plates to slide as well. These may well be plywood (same as the removable sides)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...