Controversial cover of Railway Modeller ?

I’ve been reading the Modeller for over 50 years and am surprised by the cover of  the November 2021 issue . 

It features , for the  first time as far as I recall ,  a product rather than a layout - Bachman’s new tooling  and admirable Gresley V2 . 
The photos are great and showcase a fine  product . But are they a form of advertising or even an endorsement? If so , will , let us say , Hornby  or others have a “right to reply “ or their turn ?

Am I right  to believe that this the first time a manufacturer or product has taken the full cover ? 
Any comments?

Ken 

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's not unique, there was a D Class cover in 2019.

D Class.jpg

And to be fair, RM has a history of unusual covers. This one isn't a product, but not what you'd expect on a model railway magazine.

RMJune1953.jpg

And there was a royal train cover to commemorate Charles & Diana's wedding.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks , Phil , for jogging my memory!

The cover to commemorate Queen Elizabeth the Second’ s coronation predates my reading the Modeller . What high hopes were around at the dawn of the new Elizabethan era !

Ken 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In addition to Phil’s pic above of the D Class, there have been others with one with multiple products shown that I recall. Whilst they’re different I don’t see them as a cover that requires a balancing cover from a.n. other manufacturer/s. Clearly the editorial team decided these were worthy of a dedicated cover image.
All of the manufacturers get a ‘front cover’ image from time to time, it’s just normally the model is on a layout.

I like them and it’s nice to see a different style, as a discretionary purchaser this different style would attract my attention, which is what the cover is all about. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's no different from a pic of a new Golf on a motoring mag, or a new Nikon on a photo mag. Product reviews sell mags and that's that. At a time when printed media are up agin it, and our bit of the market has multiple decent publications, any advantage needs to be sought. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see I'm not the only one browsing RM covers and indulging in a spot of nostalgia this morning!  It's free, too, if you only want to see the covers.  I'm not currently an RM subscriber, but I have the app on my iPad and the whole lot have recently appeared as per the recent announcement:fan:

• Like 1

It would be controversial if Hornby Magazine had a Bachmann V2 on the cover.  

Not sure about the girl in the fancy hat.  Might have missed something there, Maybe they wanted an LMS Pacific and the photog got the assignment wrong. 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 1466 said:

Thanks , Phil , for jogging my memory!

The cover to commemorate Queen Elizabeth the Second’ s coronation predates my reading the Modeller . What high hopes were around at the dawn of the new Elizabethan era !

Ken 

It is unlikely that whoever compiled that well wishing cover, would have expected HM to still be around, almost 70 years later.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Maybe this is the future.

Similar things were seen in the past. At about the same date as the Coronation one, there were a few others featuring people (shock horror!) including a couple that showed young women (in immaculate 1950s mid-range fashion clothes) admiring layouts, one a garden railway IIRC.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Practical Model Railways cover_500..jpg

Oh gawd, Garden Railways Editor  sabotages readership who’s hearts can’t take the excitement :lol:

The Heljan Manning Wardle also got a full cover shot albeit on a layout so it’s fairly regular. 

8ADA7260-AC14-4F8B-A308-B719DF9AA247.jpeg.9498087a53de4e1d2b21bcb4917beb27.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, DCB said:

It would be controversial if Hornby Magazine had a Bachmann V2 on the cover.  

Not sure about the girl in the fancy hat.  Might have missed something there, Maybe they wanted an LMS Pacific and the photog got the assignment wrong. 

It may be worth looking at the current issue,,,

https://shop.keypublishing.com/issue/View/issue/HM0173/Hornby-magazine-november-2021

Hornby Magazine has nothing to do with Hornby apart from the name.

It's published by Key and has featured Bachmann and other manufacturers models on the cover on a regular basis.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Practical Model Railways cover_500..jpg

11 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Model railway magazine covers are quite uncontroversial compared to, say, photographic magazines in the past.

As for Practical Model Railways, it didn't last very long, did it?

No, it's readership discovered other interests and better magazines for their new found interest.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Model railway magazine covers are quite uncontroversial compared to, say, photographic magazines in the past.

As for Practical Model Railways, it didn't last very long, did it?

About six years or so. Whether that's long or not I don't know as there was a lot of magazines that appeared in the 1980s that disappeared after about two issues.

1983 until 1989 ISTR. Got most of them, but somehow not the one above.

Jason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Similar things were seen in the past. At about the same date as the Coronation one, there were a few others featuring people (shock horror!) including a couple that showed young women (in immaculate 1950s mid-range fashion clothes) admiring layouts, one a garden railway IIRC.

Ye Gods! The decadence! 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Not for nothing was Amateur Photographer known as "The weekly with the girls on the front"!

• Like 1