PopUps

Patrick Davey

This is a great forum with a lot of excellent work to admire and be inspired by, particularly the work of Colm & Kieran.

But there are now a lot of irritating popup videos to negotiate - I have just had to dismiss 3 of these before I could get to enjoy Noel's most recent posts about his superb Gort layout.

I hope that this post does not receive the same dismissive and very discourteous reply from a moderator that Johnathan Beaumont received recently - to respond to one of Ireland's most respected railway authors and historians in such a way was shameful.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi  Patrick, mods aware and there is a thread already in place.  The forum is a victim of its success the amount of IT involved and sheer time moderating and managing has led to what was a free site being taken over by a commercial organisation that wants its pound of flesh means selling add space as pop ups if you want access to all the good stuff for free.  

While not a member RM Gold which is advertised as a fee paying membership that gets you out of all these angstful popups.

Recently several "improvements to IT" have been tried - mainly it seems to make it a more commercial platform and this has led to a rash of issues for some users on varying formats and varying ages of end user IT . The Mods have taken a lot of flack and it seems that a lot of what ought to be polite behaviours have been thrown aside by too many and led to quite a bit of vitrol and I think sadly the Mods fired from hip with several replies - all  human nature of course but regretted.   Andy York has been most helpful with my issues raised via RM web and directly , not quite all sorted but answers given most helpful and insightful.   Please give him some slack, I think his valuable volunteer support to the  hobby has become his job and a milstone around his neck - or other body parts !  and there is some pain and angst.  The old adage of not pleasing folk all the time has hit RM Web hard and the RM Gold platform is the way forward if RM web is not to be lost as happened with several photo platforms on the web.

Happy modelling !

Robert   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

I hope that this post does not receive the same dismissive and very discourteous reply from a moderator that Johnathan Beaumont received recently - to respond to one of Ireland's most respected railway authors and historians in such a way was shameful.

Well if you do exactly the same thing why would you think you'd get a different response. As Robert has said there's an existing topic and all you've done is cause unnecessary work to make exactly the same point as has already been done over and over.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod locked this topic