Dartmoor Model Services - New Range of 3D Printed Models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, wiggoforgold said:

Looking good Nick. You may have a customer for the lamp hut :) . May I suggest (selfishly) a GWR platform trolley and some milk crates?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your support. Of course I can put you down for a hut. Milk crates are certainly high on our production schedule, as is a platform trolley. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would be interested in GW auto trailer buffers in their housings with the angled base plate if you are looking for ideas.  Reckon they'd be a good seller, as the buffers on the older Airfix A30s are a bit prone to being snapped off!

Even if you don't satisfy my buffer cravings, good luck with your efforts, Nick and Matt, especially if you are going it alone and not marketing through Shapeways, who are probably the biggest single obstacle to uptake of 3D printed items in the whole trade!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Would be interested in GW auto trailer buffers in their housings with the angled base plate if you are looking for ideas.  Reckon they'd be a good seller, as the buffers on the older Airfix A30s are a bit prone to being snapped off!

Even if you don't satisfy my buffer cravings, good luck with your efforts, Nick and Matt, especially if you are going it alone and not marketing through Shapeways, who are probably the biggest single obstacle to uptake of 3D printed items in the whole trade!

+1 :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I Like the tin shed I'll need a couple of those assuming they are 4mm as the scale hasn't been mentioned..

Yard cranes well I need one, but it would have to be the right type, it may have been in some way related to LSWR as the MSWJR did use some of their type of equipment and buildings..

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I Like the tin shed I'll need a couple of those assuming they are 4mm as the scale hasn't been mentioned..

Somebody didn't read it all ;)

On 27/10/2021 at 13:54, Brinkly said:

Exact prices to be confirmed, but we know the lock-up will be priced below £5 for a 4mm model, with 2mm and 7mm yet to be confirmed.

Roy

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Somebody didn't read it all ;)

Roy

that would be when I stopped looking when I reached the modern bins..

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your interest and comments: both Matt and myself have been really inspired to push on as quickly as possible with certain projects. 

We had a bit of a shake down session last night, discussing some of the points and observations you fine fellows have mentioned. Potentially, we are going to look at bolt and padlock detailing tonight, although, the original idea (this is what I will probably do) was to add a slither of plasticard or brass strip to represent this feature. We know we can produce this on cad, however, it might not look quite as fine as a separately fitted piece when it comes to the final print. 

I've taken delivery of some further engineering prototypes today and have checked dimensions and measurements to ensure these are as accurate as possible. 

We are almost ready to launch our new website, so look out for that. 

Exciting times!

All the best,

Nick. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

I pushed Matt's arm up his back and we have looked at designing a bit of bolt detailing. We don't know how well this will print: it is quite small!

1935572756_Doorwithlock.jpeg.b1ad1027a4b3efd08022fc1ed2073363.jpeg

We would be interested to hear your thoughts. 

All the best,

Nick. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It looks fine to me if it can be made to print - but the sum total of my knowledge of 3d printing is that Shapeways are expensive! Joking apart it’s better than I could do with scraps of plasticard or etch. 

I’ve been trying to find a decent GWR hut like this and not been happy with anything I’ve seen so far. 

For a non railway subject, how about an outside toilet or coal bunker? Nothing gimmicky with an open door or Alf reading the Mirror. Just  believable buildings. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think a key in the front would be a more likely style of padlock.

Like my grandad's shed padlock... it only needed a swift kick to get it open to check out his mole traps*

1809780861_PopsLock.jpg.2b77e24a7e3a3f203ec45b35710f3bbe.jpg

*my grandad was the chief mole catcher of Timsbury at one time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Evening all,

I pushed Matt's arm up his back and we have looked at designing a bit of bolt detailing. We don't know how well this will print: it is quite small!

1935572756_Doorwithlock.jpeg.b1ad1027a4b3efd08022fc1ed2073363.jpeg

We would be interested to hear your thoughts. 

All the best,

Nick. 

Nick It should be a round bottom padlock like the one in Tim Dubya's post because that design used a particular style of key that was far more usual than a Yale type key.  I have an example of a suitable key for that style of railway padlock somewhere but it would definitely be too small to print ;)