Dartmoor Model Services - New Range of 3D Printed Models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nick It should be a round bottom padlock like the one in Tim Dubya's post because that design used a particular style of key that was far more usual than a Yale type key.  I have an example of a suitable key for that style of railway padlock somewhere but it would definitely be too small to print ;)

Yes, the padlock would definitely be what we called a 'clip lock' type of padlock, virtually as per Tim Dubya's photo.

You can probably find them on almost any railway access gate, if you want to measure one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, the padlock would definitely be what we called a 'clip lock' type of padlock, virtually as per Tim Dubya's photo.

You can probably find them on almost any railway access gate, if you want to measure one!

I have the phrase "No. 37 key" rattling round in my headful of useless information. Is that where it came from? :mellow:

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I may be mistaken, but I'd say it was a No.1 key?

I'm sure you're probably correct Tim. As I said, my brain is full of rubbish these days - at least that's what Carol says!

No matter about that, it will be welcome to see  range of 'focussed' detail parts. While these could be made from scratch, they take up an awful lot of time which can often be put to good use elsewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Although they should have an access gate padlock and not a point clip padlock (that used to be the situation on the WR) so you couldn't unlock with a point clip padlock key - hence I had both types of key on my old key ring.   One day in the early 1990s a Petroleum Sector rep and I went to Thame to look at the track layout in regard to some possible economies in a relaying proposal and found the gate secured by the standard acess padlock.  He said 'what happens now?' and then I got out my keyrting with its assortment of various keys and unlocked the the padlock.

10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

'

I've never heard of a No.37 key so would agree that it was probably a No1 key which was used on all sorts of things (which included some of the 'tin huts' although the 'common padlock' (i.e. a point clip padlock) was preferred in my time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought that a number 1 key was for unlocking coach doors. When I arrived in Wales, I had to purloin a No 7 key for some access gates, others were Viro locks with a cylinder lock underneath which took a "Yale" type key.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Gents,

Thanks for all your interest and feedback. I'm not going to answer every individual comments with regard to the lock. 

First of all, we know what the machine can and can't print. Including the lock is something that we were apprehensive about for a number of reasons. Primary reason being that the chucky nature of the front would detract from the overall finished look of the model. As I said earlier, my plan all along had been to add a separately fitted item and naturally, if anyone wants to customise, or modify their building further, we would be delighted! It makes it a unique item for your layout.

What we want to achieve with this first model is a solid starting point from which you can accept onto your layout as is, or modify further.  It isn't ever going to be perfect and we acknowledge and accept that. We don't have the resources of a large-scale firm - we hope to achieve that (keep taking the tablets Nick), but are pragmatic that this is our first major project item. 

Moving forward, Matt is looking at tweaking the design further but we can state now, a key will be something you will need to add yourselves! :D 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff, Nick. 

Nice to see the plan coming together. 

I shall get my thinking cap on regarding future products..........mmmm

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Gents,

Thanks for all your interest and feedback. I'm not going to answer every individual comments with regard to the lock. 

First of all, we know what the machine can and can't print. Including the lock is something that we were apprehensive about for a number of reasons. Primary reason being that the chucky nature of the front would detract from the overall finished look of the model. As I said earlier, my plan all along had been to add a separately fitted item and naturally, if anyone wants to customise, or modify their building further, we would be delighted! It makes it a unique item for your layout.

What we want to achieve with this first model is a solid starting point from which you can accept onto your layout as is, or modify further.  It isn't ever going to be perfect and we acknowledge and accept that. We don't have the resources of a large-scale firm - we hope to achieve that (keep taking the tablets Nick), but are pragmatic that this is our first major project item. 

Moving forward, Matt is looking at tweaking the design further but we can state now, a key will be something you will need to add yourselves! :D 

All the best,

Nick.

Thanks Nick. Maybe we're all getting a little over enthusiastic. :)  I'm sure there won't be any of the unhelpful criticism seen on some other threads! I look forward to the hut very much and, with or without padlock, I'll have at least one quite possibly two.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 96701 said:

I thought that a number 1 key was for unlocking coach doors. When I arrived in Wales, I had to purloin a No 7 key for some access gates, others were Viro locks with a cylinder lock underneath which took a "Yale" type key.

I think you're right about the No.1 key, Phil, I'm sure now that it was used for coach gangway doors.

I think the clip lock type padlock became more commonly used for other, additional purposes in recent years.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think you're right about the No.1 key, Phil, I'm sure now that it was used for coach gangway doors.

I think the clip lock type padlock became more commonly used for other, additional purposes in recent years.

No.1 keys were originally used for internal gangway doors on passenger stock but their use gradually spread to other areas the most common being certain equipment cupboards and, particularly, the locks on lineside 'phone cabinets which had been made lockable because of vandalism problems (|I'm not sure if they were ever used on SPTs but they were used on the 'phone cabinets at some ground frames and might have been used on the release instrument cabinets at some ground frames where vandalism was a regular problem (e.g Wantage Road).

The original lineside gate padlocks were round bottom padlocks of the same shape as a special clip padlock (the ones with individual keys).

Back to 3d printing. and a Western style two wheel platform barrow would be very useful as many smaller stations had them and few or no four wheelers.  The other thing which has been overlooked by many doing this sort of thing is Letter Mail bags with not much in the way of contents which at most stations were probably more common than any other sort of mail bag during the day when Letter Mail was coming na going on most trains in fairly small quantities..

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

We have had a look at designing the padlock and bar representation. Apologies about the image (a bit rough and ready) but you can see what we have done. 

64200022_WhatsAppImage2021-10-29at18_29_45.jpeg.e2ee75ecfc1879b4ab3f37cd89de2048.jpeg

2000237294_WhatsAppImage2021-10-29at18_29_44.jpeg.b2dd1af42973f63c31d461dd2c009a18.jpeg

Matt and I are going to have a night off and sleep on this one before we make a final decision.

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

No.1 keys were originally used for internal gangway doors on passenger stock but their use gradually spread to other areas the most common being certain equipment cupboards and, particularly, the locks on lineside 'phone cabinets which had been made lockable because of vandalism problems ( I'm not sure if they were ever used on SPTs.........

Yes, I put one in the Handsworth /  Winson Green area on the Jewellery Line.  I also had the pleasure of demonstrating it to the Inspecting Officer when the pre-opening  Inspection train got stopped there. It did its job in stopping the phone getting vandalised, they just nicked the whole cabinet a few weeks later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think we used to call it a No.1 Padlock rather than key. There were actually various key patterns available. One area I worked on it was Key 12 as all the local low life had a PWay Key 1 in their pockets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2021 at 12:01, The Stationmaster said:

I've never heard of a No.37 key so would agree that it was probably a No1 key which was used on all sorts of things (which included some of the 'tin huts' although the 'common padlock' (i.e. a point clip padlock) was preferred in my time.

1761789175_key37(2).jpg.9ee917205d93d29d81f28bda0ad35b3b.jpg

From the Unipart catalogue.

No.1 Padlock doesn't appear in the catalogue now as so many people outside the industry had them. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were the same as the ones on Fire Brigade doors in bridges over canals and rivers as well.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Picture restored
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Matt delivered the engineering prototype, which includes padlock representation. Thank you to everyone who uploaded padlock photographs - we now feel like we are experts in this field! :lol:

IMG_2144.jpg.8fde6d97426aaa09cf4137db021a6007.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg.b453f5a6ed1916b7cf3517a8620ded2c.jpg

Before we going production, we would be interested to hear your thoughts. With or without lock? 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Afternoon all,

Matt delivered the engineering prototype, which includes padlock representation. Thank you to everyone who uploaded padlock photographs - we now feel like we are experts in this field! :lol:

Before we going production, we would be interested to hear your thoughts. With or without lock? 

All the best,

Nick.

Nick,

I'm reasonably happy with either but would definitely prefer the version with the lock and would buy two of them in order to help support that version. (One to go by the signal box and one separately for (train) lamp oil or for the Per Way to keep their oil under lock & key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for being a tad late to the party.

That lamp hut looks great, I’ll definitely be in for two please.

I concur with the previous comments about platform trollies and barrows (4 wheel and 2 wheel). But how about the luggage to go on said trollies…. I have some from Merit, but they need improving on. 

Re: milk churns. I’ve got some Bachmann and Modelu ones, I wouldn’t want you to waste time on these as they might be a slow burn.

Yard crane - definitely, although there was someone on the GWR modellers Facebook page doing a new version. I think the first batch sold out, not heard about it since.

Definitely we are in need of GWR platform seats, I doubt we will see the Cooper Craft ones again. 

Good luck with this venture.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I think it looks great, Nick and there is a space on Callow Lane which needs filling very soon!

One other thought, how about a version with the door open? Not something you see modelled that often.

• Agree 3