Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Steam and Diesel Gala 2021.

Evening All,

The 15 inch gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway held a steam and diesel gala over the weekend and the first instalment of my video footage is now on YouTube; if anyone is interested in seeing it, here it is:

Hope you like it.

TTFN,

Ron. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/10/2021 at 09:49, SamThomas said:

Thanks Ron, most enjoyable.

I see the US habit of flying flags on the front of locomotives has now crossed the Atlantic (or had I not noticed it before now ?)

I don't know whether they do that all the time or whether it was just for the gala weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2021 at 19:42, SamThomas said:

Excellent - nice to see Black Prince at work.

IIRC Black Princes two siblings in the UK ?

Yes, Black Prince has two 'siblings' in the UK. Both of them run on the Waveney Valley Railway at Bressingham Steam Museum & Gardens.

Rosenkavalier and Männertreu are both out of service requiring overhauls. Like Black Prince (original name Fleißiges Lieschen or Busy Lizzie in English), the locomotives were built by Krupp of Essen in 1937 for Trade Fair in Dusseldorf. The three were imported to Britain in the 1970s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the video.

Must make every effort to go there this year with Mrs T.

Those trains much run close to a scale 100mph at times.

I've often wondered why they did not use 20" gauge - after all virtually everything was custom built ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2022 at 23:47, SamThomas said:

I've often wondered why they did not use 20" gauge - after all virtually everything was custom built ?

IANAL etc., but I seem to recall that 14" gauge  or less does't count as a railway for some legal purposes (instead they're now regulated as amusement rides), so if that was true back then too it might be that they chose the smallest gauge they could, and then enlarged the locos to make them more practical.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 21/01/2022 at 13:17, SamThomas said:

I believe the choice of 15” was more or less taken out of the hands of the railway builders - locos 1,2 & 3 were originally destined for the estate railway of Count Louis Zbrowski and the order was only taken on by Howey after the count’s death at the Italian Grand Prix

15” was also the gauge of some of Capt Howey’s old locos (Colossus was, I believe the first pacific loco to run in the UK) and allowed the use of some off the shelf/second hand equipment from Arthur Heywood & Basset-Lowke who favoured the gauge. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

A Light Railway Order gave the power to compulsorily purchase land, and simplified the rules about level crossings (a private tramway could cross roads, as on the Selsey Tram, but there were complexities). I don't know if they had to formally invoke the compulsory purchase powers, or if they managed to negotiate land sales with it just in the background.